No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, it was a gust of wind. It had rained, but just a dreary downpour.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Finished Mr. Mercedes. I have to admit that King's "crime/mystery" novels are his least interesting to me (the exception is The Colorado Kid). But his knack for characterization is unparalleled, even with a stock character. Has a great opening. And his endings are always exciting.

As Det. William Hodges-Ret. says of Mr. Mercedes: "He can turn a phrase."

3/5
      Last edited by srboone; 06-08-2014, 04:43 AM.
      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Currently about 2/3 of the way through "Natchez Burning" by Greg Iles. Really liking this one so far.

Comment

Originally posted by ajw2910 View Post
          Currently about 2/3 of the way through "Natchez Burning" by Greg Iles. Really liking this one so far.
          Yeah, that was a good book! The only bad part is having to wait for the next installment.

I'm reading Charlie Chaplin's autobiography at the moment. His childhood was like a Dickens story.

Comment

Just finished The Ruins. Someone ought to do a specialty edition of this one... Polarized audience for this book, but count me as one of the one's who loved it. Can't wait for the CD release.

I poked around a couple of days ago and didn't see anything, but does anyone know if there's a book review thread on this forum? I'm new and don't want to step on anyone's toes, and I'd love to see a section of reviews for-us-by-us. I know there are a ton of external sites for this, but from what I've seen on this forum I feel that reviews contained here could have their own voice having so much specialty expertise. It would be like gladiatorial fights reviewed by weapon's masters and ninjas instead of spectators or journalists.
            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I don't remember one. Might be an idea worth trying.
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                Just finished The Ruins. Someone ought to do a specialty edition of this one... Polarized audience for this book, but count me as one of the one's who loved it. Can't wait for the CD release.

I poked around a couple of days ago and didn't see anything, but does anyone know if there's a book review thread on this forum? I'm new and don't want to step on anyone's toes, and I'd love to see a section of reviews for-us-by-us. I know there are a ton of external sites for this, but from what I've seen on this forum I feel that reviews contained here could have their own voice having so much specialty expertise. It would be like gladiatorial fights reviewed by weapon's masters and ninjas instead of spectators or journalists.
                I was a big fan of The Ruins as well, but plenty of people didn't care for it. Can't please everyone though
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

Just finished Jon Bassoff's Corrosion. It was pretty good. Several months ago I bought a bunch of Robert McCammon's e books for .99 each.
                  I think i'll start with They Thirst.

Comment

Forgot to say I am reading Deep Like the River by Tim Waggoner that I received from the publisher in exchange for a review. I am enjoying so far and am wondering what will happen. Not sure if this book is supposed to fall in horror or not, but nothing like horror so far.
                    Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                      Forgot to say I am reading Deep Like the River by Tim Waggoner that I received from the publisher in exchange for a review. I am enjoying so far and am wondering what will happen. Not sure if this book is supposed to fall in horror or not, but nothing like horror so far.
                      Let us know what you think once your done. I've been on the fence about getting the lettered edition. I love the cover artwork on it. I almost bought it just for that.

Comment

I'm curious on your thoughts on this too RJK. I have another Waggoner book from DRP that I haven't read yet (The Harmony Society), and I enjoyed his The Men Upstairs. I was going to request a review copy for that too, but didn't really want an e-book version like I got when I did it with Holes For Faces. I know it would get lost in the shuffle on my Kobo.

Comment

I'll let you know when I am done. Shouldn't take too long since it isn't a very long one. First time reading anything from this author
                          Spoiler!

Comment

Just finished reading the new Cemetery Dance magazine. The last story perfect Little Town by Blake Crouch worth the price alone. One of the best short stories I have read this year and I have been focusing on short story collections more this year. Overall a great issue but the Crouch story is amazing.

Comment

Despite having always loved graphic novels, I have never read these. I get to about 1 volume every 2-3 months, and it's no wonder this guy blew up like he did.

20140614_090816.jpg
                              “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                              -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                                Despite having always loved graphic novels, I have never read these. I get to about 1 volume every 2-3 months, and it's no wonder this guy blew up like he did.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15370[/ATTACH]
                                That one is my favorite storyline, especially McManus's artwork. I started reading Gaiman when he did Black Orchid, just before Sandman, and have been a huge fan ever since. I'm not sure if he said it in a foreword or afterword to this volume, but he got about halfway through this story and realized it bore a strong similarity to Jonathan Carroll's "Bones of the Moon". Carroll told him it was different enough and to keep going. That led me to discover Carroll's work, which I also love.
                                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Working...
                                X