Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite Laymon story!
    Originally posted by Theli View Post
    5am and 300 pages later and I'm done The Traveling Vampire show. Man was that an addictive read! Very enjoyable, and at times disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by coderedx View Post
      I'm currently reading Sycamore Row by John Grisham. I'm enjoy it (unexpectedly).

But up next I'm going to (finally) read The Mist (in Skeleton Crew) by Stephen King. I've heard it called his best short story, so I'm intrigued.
      I agree on Sycamore Row - it was my first Grisham and also first in the court room drama genre. Liked it a lot more than I expected, and it was a pretty quick by my standards too. I can see it being made into a movie.

Comment

Today was a good one. The mailman came with two boxes. The first contained Jack & Jill, Four Killers and Vortex, and the second had my copy of Pet Sematary.

I started reading the CD books at 3pm, and was done by 6:30. Vortex, by Ray Garton was definitely my favorite. It came across as a book that could be the basis of an epic novel. It reminded me of early Dean Koontz (Watchers, Strangers) and King's Firestarter.

Now that I've taken the dog for a walk it's time to start Pet Sematary, which I haven't read in probably 20 years.

Comment

Starting Johnny Gruesome tonight

Comment

Finished the short version of The Stand if 817 pages is short. I did like it but still prefer the uncut version. The story of Mother Abigail is better in the longer version. Maybe he should have turned that into a separate novella length story. Now I was going to start Jack and Jill but in honor of the stupid groundhog and the impending winter storm I am going to start reading The Abominable by Dan Simmons.....I figure if you can't beat them...well you know.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
              Finished the short version of The Stand if 817 pages is short. I did like it but still prefer the uncut version. The story of Mother Abigail is better in the longer version. Maybe he should have turned that into a separate novella length story. Now I was going to start Jack and Jill but in honor of the stupid groundhog and the impending winter storm I am going to start reading The Abominable by Dan Simmons.....I figure if you can't beat them...well you know.
              I hear ya! I am slowly getting through The Terror - a good winter read.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                I hear ya! I am slowly getting through The Terror - a good winter read.
                You will like The Abominable if you like The Terror. Really good so far. Very similar in that it mixes facts and fiction really well.

Comment

Cool - I may grab it one day soon. I actually am enjoying The Terror more than Hyperion. I think it is the historical facts (and in some similar books - real science) mixed in that really catches my interest on his work. Keep in mind, I like a lot of "real" in the stories I read. Even when it comes to some of the sci-fi I have read/watched. Arthur C Clarke has a lot of real science (although I've only read Childhood's End), and movies like Prometheus (again, lots of real science in it). Even general TV - I love Discovery ch, and shows like Ancient Aliens (yes, it's mostly entertainment, but has lots of real science behind it). When looking for sci-fi titles, I try to stay away from space shoot 'em ups - if you know what I mean. That being said, I am open to some good suggestions for that genre also. LOL

Comment

I just finished Seven Deadly Pleasures by Michael Aronovitz. This was one of the best single author short story collections that I've read since Hirshberg's The Two Sams. I didn't know what to think going into this collection, but had heard good things about Aronovitz's work and I wasn't disappointed. "How Bria Died" is one of the creepiest stories that I've read recently (even my wife liked it, and she doesn't like horror) and I was afraid that as the first story it would set the bar so high that the rest of the collection would pale in comparison. I can safely say that each story in this collection held its own. From the dark, dark comedy of "The Clever Mask" (think a macabre twist on the central concept from the movie Liar Liar) to the unnerving denouement in The Exterminator this collection was great. The best though is saved for last with the novella, "The Toll Booth". Creepy yet heartbreaking, this left me floored. If it wasn't obvious before now, this book has become one of my favorites and Aronovitz a writer that I'm definitely keeping my eye on.
                    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 02-04-2014, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I'm in a reread of Cujo and last night I read something interesting.

"His brown eyes were small and hard." Then later: "His eyes were unblinking, brilliant blue."

This was on my tablet kindle app so I went and checked the print edition which has both eye colors as blue. Despite many, many typos in the text, I didn't think that they would change entire words and makes me wonder what else is wrong with the ebook editions of all the books.

Comment

Finished The Count of Monte Cristo. Great read! Read Wolf Hunt by Jeff Strand during those boring Superbowl pregame programs (rated 3 stars on GR); Currently reading Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories by Karen Russell.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

In King we trust; All others...not so much. Nice argument aginst the e-reader! (I say smugly with a self-satisfied air .)
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            In King we trust; All others...not so much. Nice argument aginst the e-reader! (I say smugly with a self-satisfied air .)

Comment

Starting Chills today.

Comment

Finished Vampires in the Lemon Grove. Obtuse and inane, it has some great story ideas and Russell is a gifted writer, but the stories don't go anywhere. Rated it two stars on GR. Now I'm stuck at the hotel with nothing to read. I might have to try to make it home today.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X