Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Thank you very the insight. I hadn't read this one yet and was certainly curious about it.

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Half way through Holly by Stephen King and really enjoying it so far.

King really seems to have gravitated to the mystery story (albeit a very dark mystery story) in the latter part of his career, and it is good to get reacquainted with Holly Gibney again.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Half way through Holly by Stephen King and really enjoying it so far.

King really seems to have gravitated to the mystery story (albeit a very dark mystery story) in the latter part of his career, and it is good to get reacquainted with Holly Gibney again.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Gauntlet LE of Ray Garton's "Bestial", the sequel to Ravenous. Had never read it before, and man was it a blast. A near pitch-perfect sequel to Ravenous. Some of those scenes were quite hard to read and had me cringing, and I've read quite a bit of hardcore horror in the past. Every time that I read a Ray Garton book, I wonder why he doesn't publish more or isn't more known. His stuff is always fantastic.  

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Stephen Kozeniewski's "Braineater Jones", a first time read/author for me. 

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I tried reading the new Gene Wolfe horror collection from Sub Press, and found about 1/3 of the way in that Wolfe just isn't for me at the moment. My shelves are too tight to try and introduce books that I didn't care for, so I'll probably throw it up on eBay for a hundred bucks and see what happens...if anyone here needs a Fine/Fine, essentially-as-new copy, let me know and I'll do $85 shipped.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Didn't know these other Mark Matthews anthologies even existed. I think I'll have to track them down at some point & see if they measure up to Lullabies. Would be cool if Thunderstorm published them as that would practically force me to buy them! I did recently read Matthews Thunderstorm novel, "Hobgoblin of Little Minds" but didn't really care for it. It wasn't bad, just a little bloated IMO. After reading "Lizard" in Lullabies, I think he may be better suited to shorts and novellas.
    I still need to get around to Hobgoblin at some point. I bought it off the strength of "Lizard," so I'm a little bummed to hear that it isn't as good. I heard some buzz around his Milk-Blood series a while back, but I haven't had a chance to pick them up. Frankly, all my book money goes to signed limited hardcovers, so paperback books pop up on my radar, but are always relegated to the "someday I'll pick it up" pile.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Good point in regards to the Iglesias story. I think, once again, due to reviews I had read I was expecting something a lot worse and found myself pleasantly surprised.

On a related note, Lullabies was the middle of a three book run of Matthews's Tales of Addiction Horror series (the first was Garden of Fiends and the third was Orphans of Bliss). I've only read Lullabies, but I've mentioned to Paul at Thunderstorm that he should do the other two collections as limited editions. He didn't completely shoot me down, so I'm hoping one day we'll get those to add to the shelf.
    Didn't know these other Mark Matthews anthologies even existed. I think I'll have to track them down at some point & see if they measure up to Lullabies. Would be cool if Thunderstorm published them as that would practically force me to buy them! I did recently read Matthews Thunderstorm novel, "Hobgoblin of Little Minds" but didn't really care for it. It wasn't bad, just a little bloated IMO. After reading "Lizard" in Lullabies, I think he may be better suited to shorts and novellas.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Yeah, it really was a great collection. Like others, I too felt the Iglesias story was the weakest, but not because it was bad. It just was the most straightforward of the bunch. I felt like I had read many similar stories in the past, but it was still a good story. I think the only reason why anyone points it out is because the rest of the stories in the collection are such gems. In terms of the Yardley tale, I loved it; however, I can get why others wouldn't as it's not really a horror story at all, just pure tragedy and emotions wrapped up in the bittersweet.
    Good point in regards to the Iglesias story. I think, once again, due to reviews I had read I was expecting something a lot worse and found myself pleasantly surprised.

On a related note, Lullabies was the middle of a three book run of Matthews's Tales of Addiction Horror series (the first was Garden of Fiends and the third was Orphans of Bliss). I've only read Lullabies, but I've mentioned to Paul at Thunderstorm that he should do the other two collections as limited editions. He didn't completely shoot me down, so I'm hoping one day we'll get those to add to the shelf.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

I'm glad you enjoyed Lullabies for Suffering. I really thought this was a fantastic collection. I finished it over a week's vacation, reading a novella each morning over a cup of coffee on my back patio. Like you, I really enjoyed Taff's story, "The Melting Point of Meat." The way this story unfurled and the places it went kinda knocked me back in my seat. Kepnes's story was one of my favorites as well, but I agree with your statement that there isn't a weak story in the bunch. Reviews that I've read tend to criticize Gambino Iglesias's story, but I actually quite enjoyed it. Yardley's story might have been my least favorite, but I believe that had a lot to do with expectations. Each review I read praised the story to high heaven and I had liked the anthology so much up to that point that there was no way that Yardley's tale could live up to those imagined literary heights. It was very good, it just didn't knock me back in my seat as I was expecting, which left me disappointed. This is definitely more of a critique on my own unchecked expectations than Yardley's story since, as I previously mentioned, it was really good. It's also kind of the reason why I don't like reading reviews.
    Yeah, it really was a great collection. Like others, I too felt the Iglesias story was the weakest, but not because it was bad. It just was the most straightforward of the bunch. I felt like I had read many similar stories in the past, but it was still a good story. I think the only reason why anyone points it out is because the rest of the stories in the collection are such gems. In terms of the Yardley tale, I loved it; however, I can get why others wouldn't as it's not really a horror story at all, just pure tragedy and emotions wrapped up in the bittersweet.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm Books anthology "Lullabies for Suffering". I really enjoyed this one. Most of the authors were completely new to me and I wasn't sure what to expect, but I trust Thunderstorm to deliver, and they did. I especially loved the stories by John D Taff, Mark Matthews, & Mercedes M. Yardley. Each of their stories wrecked me, and I will be keeping an eye out for more of their stuff! Overall, I would give this anthology a B+ grade as there wasn't a weak sister in the bunch.

Am now reading Ray Garton's "Bestial", the sequel to Ravenous. Have had this on the TBR pile for a while. Figure I better read it now before I completely forget how Ravenous ended, and also because it's never a bad time to read some Garton!
    I'm glad you enjoyed Lullabies for Suffering. I really thought this was a fantastic collection. I finished it over a week's vacation, reading a novella each morning over a cup of coffee on my back patio. Like you, I really enjoyed Taff's story, "The Melting Point of Meat." The way this story unfurled and the places it went kinda knocked me back in my seat. Kepnes's story was one of my favorites as well, but I agree with your statement that there isn't a weak story in the bunch. Reviews that I've read tend to criticize Gambino Iglesias's story, but I actually quite enjoyed it. Yardley's story might have been my least favorite, but I believe that had a lot to do with expectations. Each review I read praised the story to high heaven and I had liked the anthology so much up to that point that there was no way that Yardley's tale could live up to those imagined literary heights. It was very good, it just didn't knock me back in my seat as I was expecting, which left me disappointed. This is definitely more of a critique on my own unchecked expectations than Yardley's story since, as I previously mentioned, it was really good. It's also kind of the reason why I don't like reading reviews.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished The Secret Life of Insects by Bernardo Esquinca.

Liked it a lot. More on the quiet horror side.

Fans of Charles Grant should give this short collection by Esquinca a try.

Next up, Skin Medicine by Tim Curran.

Almost half way through, and this is one of the best things I’ve read by Curran in a while.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm Books anthology "Lullabies for Suffering". I really enjoyed this one. Most of the authors were completely new to me and I wasn't sure what to expect, but I trust Thunderstorm to deliver, and they did. I especially loved the stories by John D Taff, Mark Matthews, & Mercedes M. Yardley. Each of their stories wrecked me, and I will be keeping an eye out for more of their stuff! Overall, I would give this anthology a B+ grade as there wasn't a weak sister in the bunch.

Am now reading Ray Garton's "Bestial", the sequel to Ravenous. Have had this on the TBR pile for a while. Figure I better read it now before I completely forget how Ravenous ended, and also because it's never a bad time to read some Garton!

Leave a comment:

• Hermit
    replied
    sigh! are there any other British folks that took advantage of the Chizmar pre order deal around the time of august and preordered the second boogeyman book? I had also separately purchased the first one because well, theres no point in trying to read a story if you miss out a part is there? well ive had the first with e for a while and I was waiting to receive the second one before I started to read them. I waited and waited and waited, I start seeing everyones got theres and have read it already.
    not a fan of amazon but I only use them under duress because I dont have any bookshops less than a 5 hour return drive away.

anyway sorry for my moan, I really needed to vent.
    hopefully now ive cancelled my original preorder and have made a fresh purchase, my book should arrive.

also , when should I expect my signed book plate for the book from CD?

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading Kristopher Triana's "Along the River of Flesh". This book kicked all kinds of ass and was a fantastic sequel to Gone to See the Riverman. If you liked that book or any of Triana's other stuff, you will like this one for sure.  If I had one small issue with this novel, it was that one of the big reveals at the end seemed a bit obvious, especially if you're a veteran horror reader. That being said, the reveal is still quite powerful and will propel the next "Riverman" book should Triana wish to pen it. Overall, I'm very happy to have read this sequel and to own the LE hardback, and I would give it a B- to B rating. 

Am now reading the Thunderstorm Books anthology "Lullabies for Suffering". Have been meaning to get around to this one for a while and now is finally the time! 

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied

I've always found Golden to be very hit-or-miss for me. I've never read anything particularly bad but neither has anything ever really resonated with me.

I've got like three Triana books in my TBR (Gone to See the River Man, The Thirteenth Koyote, and A Cold Place for Dying). Your praise keeps bumping these up in the pile. Maybe I'll make one of the my next read after I finish Fracassi's Gothic.
    I agree with Golden being a hit or miss author.

Read Road of Bones earlier this year, and liked it as much as any thing else I can remember reading from him.

I actually think he’s better at short form fiction.

I remember really liking his story collection The Secret Backs of Things published by CD about 15 or so years ago.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished Dark and Lonely Water by Graeme Reynolds.

It was an OK creature feature about a water witch in the northern part of England.

I liked the first half better than the second. There was a conspiracy plot in the second half that kind of stretched the credibility of the story, though I would have to say that Reynolds nailed the ending.

Up next, The Secret Life of Insects, a collection by Mexican author Bernardo Esquinca.

B

Leave a comment:

Working...
X