Fahrenheit 451 Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fahrenheit 451 Book

Okay, I'm sure almost everyone here has read and/or seen Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451". Remember the end of the book when Montag meets up with the group whose members have all memorized a book? In the moive they introduce themselves as that book.

So, the question is: If you were in this situation, which book would you become? It should be a book you love, and love to quote (especially), and keep in mind that it will become your identity. No repeats in the post, and 1st come, 1st serve.

Since I'm starting the thread I get first pick. And don't worry all you Stephen King fans, surprisingly you're safe for now. Even though he's my favorite writer too, my choice is:

Good Omens - by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

"Shadwell hated all southerners and, by inference, was standing at the North Pole."
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    Farewell speech of Bilbo Baggins, Chapter 'A Long-Expected Party'.

We are all friends here. Or should be; for the laughter of Mordor will be our only reward, if we quarrel.
    Gandalf, The Two Towers, Chapter 'The King of the Golden Hall'.

sk
    Last edited by frik51; 06-15-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

WOW!

Mother London by Michael Moorcock: "By means of our myths and legends we maintain a sense of what we are worth and who we are. Without them, we should undoubtedly go mad."
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

No repeats.... damn frik stole mine.....

I guess it'll have to be Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post

sk

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
            Come on Dan!!! You're an administrator. You should have just deleted frik's post!!

Mine, oddly enough, would be "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" 100 of the greatest short stories period!!

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
              Mine, oddly enough, would be "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" 100 of the greatest short stories period!!
              Ah, one of my favorite books in my collection. One that I checked out of the library repeatedly when I was young, but took years to find once I started buying books for my own libary.
              "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                Ah, one of my favorite books in my collection. One that I checked out of the library repeatedly when I was young, but took years to find once I started buying books for my own libary.
                I was very fortunate years ago to meet Mr. Bradbury and got that one signed along with trade hardbacks of Fahrenheit, Dandelion and Something Wicked. I have limited of the 3 novels too, but I think I treasure the signed trades much more because I met HIM!!!!

Comment

"It" by Stephen King.
                  "I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later."- Mitch Hedberg

Comment

"The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

It's hard to beat quotes like:

"In our nature, however, there is a provision, alike marvellous and merciful, that the sufferer should never know the intensity of what he endures by its present torture, but chiefly by the pang that rankles after it."

Or:

"A pure hand needs no glove to cover it."
                    "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

Not read any Bradbury either, have a uk 1st of Something Wicked This Way Comes that i couldn't pass up so i best get some of his work to read i think!

Comment

You must read some Bradbury. Something Wicked is actually my favorite, so not a bad place to start.

Comment

You must read some Bradbury. Something Wicked is actually my favorite, so not a bad place to start.
                          I completely agree! Tito... either read SWTWC or Fahrenheit first as they are both great. I will say this about RB's work it is all good but he does tend to get very "flowery" sometimes with his descriptions. I felt bogged down in a few stories with all the colorful language but this was definitely not a problem (for me) with the two stories I mentioned earlier. Now go read some Bradbury dammit! LOL
                          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
                            I will say this about RB's work it is all good but he does tend to get very "flowery" sometimes with his descriptions. I felt bogged down in a few stories with all the colorful language but this was definitely not a problem (for me) with the two stories I mentioned earlier.
                            See, and I love that. When I started reading Dandelion Wine most recently, I was in a crowded noisy place and couldn't quite get into it. Then I realized that the book is like poetry and I really needed the quiet, reflective atmosphere for reading.

Comment

See, and I love that. When I started reading Dandelion Wine most recently, I was in a crowded noisy place and couldn't quite get into it. Then I realized that the book is like poetry and I really needed the quiet, reflective atmosphere for reading.
                              The poetic prose (?) is great but to really get into it and understand what I'm reading I need complete silence. Since me and my wife share an office space at home (we both are self employed) and I have two children and three dogs sometimes it's hard for me to find that quit place to truly appreciate RBs work.
                              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                              X