Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the book you have started the most times but couldn't finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never could get into Wheel of Time. I also went through the first three books just couldn't get into the Series. I felt like I should have given that I love epic fantasy.. I still have the books, maybe one day. I'm hearing that The third Rothfuss book might be out this August?? Fingers crossed!

Comment

I just had one: BLINDSIGHT by Peter Watts, Centipede Press HC. Did not click with me at all, save for a compelling beginning, and subsequently became a DNF.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
        I never could get into Wheel of Time. I also went through the first three books just couldn't get into the Series. I felt like I should have given that I love epic fantasy.. I still have the books, maybe one day. I'm hearing that The third Rothfuss book might be out this August?? Fingers crossed!
        I like to think that I'll complete the series one day. I really want to get to the novels that Sanderson finished, but it is daunting to even think about jumping back into the series.

But fingers crossed for Rothfuss! I was starting to think that he and George Martin were competing to see who could take longer!

Comment

It is Dracula by Bram Stoker. I did finish Dracula/Frankenstein (Two novels in one book). Dracula was first. I started reading Dracula I think at least three times. Cap
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
            I just had one: BLINDSIGHT by Peter Watts, Centipede Press HC. Did not click with me at all, save for a compelling beginning, and subsequently became a DNF.
            Oh man, Sorry to hear that...it’s in my TBR pile, along with the sequel. Maybe I’ll have better luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Oh man, Sorry to hear that...it’s in my TBR pile, along with the sequel. Maybe I’ll have better luck with it.
              I hope you do. I'm not much of a sci-fi reader, so it really has to be the right kind of sci-fi (e.g. humanistic and relatable, accessible and driven by character not technology or world-building) or I have to be in the perfect mood to stretch my tolerance if a book falls outside those "right" parameters. Neither was in play for this book, unfortunately. At least my copy was the cheaper unsigned Centipede trade (and didn't come with the other book, which would've thus gone unread), so my disappointment didn't cost me much.

Comment

AH so sorry to hear that. I started it and stopped twice but not because I didn't love it. The first time was due to a Suntup delivery. I just couldn't resist jumping on I am Legend! And none of you can blame me and i won't be blamed besides. After IAL, I jumped happily right back into Blindsight. Then SST sent me an ARC of Big Lizard for review so I jumped into that and I'm currently reading it (and really digging it). Should be a quick read and then back to Blindsight. It's a brilliant book that you have to trust. Supremely original.

Comment

I do plan to revisit it someday, and give it another chance. I feel like I really didn’t give it enough of a chance, and I shouldn’t let my prickly mood / impatience at the time doom it when so many others seem to have really enjoyed it.

Comment

I do plan to revisit it someday, and give it another chance. I feel like I really didn’t give it enough of a chance, and I shouldn’t let my prickly mood / impatience at the time doom it when so many others seem to have really enjoyed it.
                    Well, I can also see how it can buck some people. It's not easy to follow in places with technical language and it skips about. Also, the main character is a little hard to relate to. BUT I find it immensely rewarding. I wonder if the magic will continue to hold through the rest of the book and into the sequel (which isn't as well regarded).

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                      It is Dracula by Bram Stoker. I did finish Dracula/Frankenstein (Two novels in one book). Dracula was first. I started reading Dracula I think at least three times. Cap
                      For what it's worth, I think even Bram Stoker was having difficulty getting through Dracula, haha! The first 75% or so is a completely different pace than the last bits. It's like he was thinking "how can I wrap this all up as quickly as possible?"

I remember loving that first 75%, personally. It was that last 100 pages or so that I was disappointed in.

Comment

I rarely read the books but the book which i left in between was Half Girlfriend from Chetan Bhagat.

Comment

I can't finish War and Piece to be honest, tried to start it about 2-3 times and for some reason can't finish all four books of it till now

Comment

Originally posted by Beblo View Post
                            I can't finish War and Piece to be honest, tried to start it about 2-3 times and for some reason can't finish all four books of it till now
                            I must say that I have never attempted that one.

Comment

Working...
                            X