No announcement yet.

Do you Kindle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always said to myself "I will NEVER get one of these! bah humbug!" but then a friend bought me one for Christmas and now I cant imagine being without it! I literally have no more room for my books so this certainly comes in handy for storage purposes. There are some great finds in the kindle store that you cant find in printed form(especially for horror nuts like me) for pretty cheap! You can also put a TON on there. While I still enjoy books on the shelf and will continue to buy every Stephen King hardcover that ever comes out, I am proud to be a member on the kindle bandwagon

Comment

I've owned my e-reader (Sony) for almost three years. It's a little worse for wear -- my dog chewed off the leather cover and decorated the edges of the reader with puppy teeth marks -- but still going strong.

My eyes are easily strained reading a back lit screen, like a computer or Ipad. Most (all?) e-readers use a technology which does not require back lighting. It is no harder on the eyes than a paperback. The print size can also be adjusted.

For me, it has not replaced print books. If anything, I buy more print books these days.

I can download and read pdf's on the e-reader, saving me eye strain and/or printing costs.

Many books are not available in any format except electronic.

It is easier to take a selection of books on vacation.

However, I still prefer print books for several reasons:

1) I can lend them without having to pass over my e-reader.
      2) I like to flip back and forth while reading -- not easily done with the e-reader
      3) If my dozen or so bookcases become redundant, I will have to paint the walls behind them.

Katherine

Comment

thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to get one - I find that I usualyl only buy hard cover books these days and I don't like to take them to the pool or on the boat. Seems an ereader is the solution.
        It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

I'm not against the Kindle or Nook or what have you, but I prefer the tactile sense of touching the book. Also, the smell of a fresh book (or even a moldy old one) is so evocative of the reading experience for me. Plus, the sensation of physically turning the page to get to find out what happens next is so great. I mean, I still watch movies in bed, but it's not the same as literally being brought to the edge of your seat in a movie theater. I'm sure I'll try an e-reader someday though, and probably get a lot out of it.

Comment

Yes! I love the benefits of the kindle over the iPad. Specifically 30 day battery life.

Comment

I used to say I hate e-readers just to rebel against the current trend, but when my brother bought one and I attempted to read Lolita on it, I found that I actually do detest them. I hate the way it feels in my hand, the way you can't really mark your progress or tell how many pages you have left. I hated how you no longer required a book mark, or how you couldn't simply admire the art of finely bound books. Not only that, but they are fragile; my brother's already had to replace his twice because of malfunctions inherent in the product itself.
              "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

Originally posted by the_last_gunslinger View Post
                . . . or tell how many pages you have left...
                ya know, i never thought of that. I think that would drive me nuts! How many times, as you lie in bed or wherever you read, see the small number of pages remaining a decide to stay up a little longer just to reach the end of the story? Yeah, i think that would drive me nuts too
                It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
                  ya know, i never thought of that. I think that would drive me nuts! How many times, as you lie in bed or wherever you read, see the small number of pages remaining a decide to stay up a little longer just to reach the end of the story? Yeah, i think that would drive me nuts too
                  Well you can tell how much of the story you have left, it's just not defined by pages.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

What I love is that people can self publish so easily on the Kindle. Is the same true for the Nook and other e-readers?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                      Well you can tell how much of the story you have left, it's just not defined by pages.
                      Sony's e-reader marks pages in this format - 265 of 378. It's also possible to bookmark.

Many authors offer their earlier books for free. If I like what I am reading, I often buy print copies of their later books.

Katherine

Comment

If anybody's interested, I've got a dark novella on the Kindle called Red Rover (alas my agent doesn't do novellas, so I'm on my own with this one). Though its protagonists are animals, it gets quite dark and is NOT recommended for kids. Think Watership Down meets Chinatown. Here's the product description:

Bedtime Story Noir. A fable of murder, betrayal and insanity told from the perspective of two household pets, Red Rover follows Goldie the dog and Medusa the cat as they follow the trail of an infant kidnapped by one of their own. What begins as a tale of deduction becomes a story of survival as Goldie and Medusa flee from a criminally violent dog catcher while pursuing a suspect list of savage predators. Was it the schizophrenic Great Pyrenees? The imprisoned python? Or the hive-mind warren of laboratory rabbits known only as The Oracle? Seen through the eyes of two animals at odds with both each other and the human world around them, Red Rover returns the reader to the darker corners of childhood, where anything is possible, and all creatures great and small pursue an agenda of good. . .or evil.

You can read the first half on my website here: http://www.nikhouser.com/Red_Rover_Part_I.html

Or pick it up for 2.99 on the Kindle here: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Rover-eboo...6008790&sr=8-1

If you check it out, thanks a bunch!
                        www.nikhouser.com

Comment

I've been holding out for an Ipad because you can load the various software on it to handle any ebook format...or so I've heard. By the time I get one though, I suspect books will just be emailed directly into our brains.
                          Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
                            If anybody's interested, I've got a dark novella on the Kindle called Red Rover (alas my agent doesn't do novellas, so I'm on my own with this one). Though its protagonists are animals, it gets quite dark and is NOT recommended for kids. Think Watership Down meets Chinatown. Here's the product description:

Bedtime Story Noir. A fable of murder, betrayal and insanity told from the perspective of two household pets, Red Rover follows Goldie the dog and Medusa the cat as they follow the trail of an infant kidnapped by one of their own. What begins as a tale of deduction becomes a story of survival as Goldie and Medusa flee from a criminally violent dog catcher while pursuing a suspect list of savage predators. Was it the schizophrenic Great Pyrenees? The imprisoned python? Or the hive-mind warren of laboratory rabbits known only as The Oracle? Seen through the eyes of two animals at odds with both each other and the human world around them, Red Rover returns the reader to the darker corners of childhood, where anything is possible, and all creatures great and small pursue an agenda of good. . .or evil.

You can read the first half on my website here: http://www.nikhouser.com/Red_Rover_Part_I.html

Or pick it up for 2.99 on the Kindle here: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Rover-eboo...6008790&sr=8-1

If you check it out, thanks a bunch!
                            Hey, love that cover! Good price, too!

Brian
                            Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                            My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

For those of you who do have a Kindle or Nook or run any of the Kindle apps, I have a couple of eBooks right now. There's The Painted Darkness, of course, plus a mini-collection of short stories and also some individual short stories for 99 cents each. I'll be posting a few more mini-collections and other short stories this summer, plus hopefully Black Fire and Blue November Storms if there's any interest. Here's the link:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/estore.html

Let me know what you think if you get a chance to check them out. Thanks!

Best,
                              Brian
                              Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                              My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Thanks for checking it out! I've been talking with Vincent Chong about commissioning a proper cover. I'd like to self-publish a physical edition through Kickstarter and donate the proceeds to the Humane Society and SPCA.
                                www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Working...
                                X