Book Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Circus of Dr. Lao - Charles G. Finney

"The world is my idea," he said. "The world is my idea; as such I present it to you."

In a bizarre tale, a circus arrives in the small Arizona town of Abalone. Over the course of a single afternoon the townsfolk witness the arrival of the three wagon circus, the contents of which no one can agree upon, and attend the show.

With the exception of the final act, the circus consists of a freak show whose every creature is real, despite no one believing they exist, and the various acts deconstruct man in multiple ways. For instance, two young men witness the miraculous transformation of a wolf to a woman, but they are disappointed because the woman is 300 years old and unattractive. It’s shallow, but it’s true, because you too will find yourself wanting her to be smoking hot when in their shoes. When a woman is given a dismal but 100% truthful account of her future by a fortune-teller, she ignores it completely and fabricates her own version of the prophecy. Which is, of course, exactly what we all do with pretty much everything we’re ever told.

Fantasy is presented as fact, with a detailed history given for most of the show’s attractions, often including the story of how each was captured. And this is where the true inventiveness really shines—philosophy. Not only do the tales of rounding up the attractions provide interesting commentary on modern man, but the townspeople’s reactions to the stories also provide humor and insight.

The Catalogue, an entire section at the end of the novel which makes up close to 15% of the book, provides further detail. Any who’ve read The Devil’s Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce will see similarities in the use of satire in this surprisingly large section, consisting of: The Male Characters; The Female Characters; The Child Characters; The Animals; The Gods and Goddesses; The Cities; The Statuettes, Figurines, Icons, Artifacts, and Idols; The Questions and Contradictions and Obscurities; The Foodstuffs.

Examples:

(Foodstuffs) GEESE: They please something in man’s palate and therefore are permitted to live.
    (Gods and Goddesses): YOTTLE: An omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent lump of bronze.

None of the characters here give you much to attach yourself to, with the possible exception of the exasperated Dr. Lao; as a conglomeration of fables there’s really not much time for it. Social Justice Warriors will react to some of the racist language, but nothing feels mean-spirited (still, this wouldn’t fly today).

The book is undoubtedly strange, but it would be a mistake to categorize it other than ‘wonderful.’ The novel pokes fun of people too insistent on known reality to fall victim to fakes, and too stupid to realize nothing in front of them is fake. It’s a curious work, often quite funny, and it contains a great deal of whimsy and biting sarcasm.

"Enough people voting the same way you vote could change the face of the world. There is something terrible in that thought."

4 stars

circusdrlao.jpg

*pics of Centipede book to follow on release
    Last edited by bugen; 02-05-2017, 05:46 PM.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I wish Centipede would do The Old China Hands as a companion piece. Finney's love and fascination with Magical China comes from the time he served with 15th Infantry Regiment stationed in Tientsin China. The unit served in China for 26 years. This book was one of my best finds. I didn't even know it signed until I got it home from the bookstore. The Magician out of China is a nice edition by Donald Grant.IMG_0730.jpgIMG_0729.jpg
      Have a great week everybody!

Comment

Might have to look up The Old China Hands. Congrats on the nice books and the signature!
        -John Barth

Comment

In Sunlight or In Shadow - Various Authors, Lawrence Block (Ed.)

“He came from Albany, and people who come from there get what they deserve.”
          -Stephen King, “The Music Room”

We’ve all seen Edward Hopper’s art, whether we’ve sought it out or not. There’s a subtly sad, understated despair in much of it. Sometimes it’s the perspective, evoking loneliness from an outsider looking in; sometimes it’s the subjects themselves, often holding their heads down, pondering their situations or the world itself.

No matter how you read into them, they’re striking. The authors gathered here are fans of the artist, some foregoing the massive salaries they command in order to be part of this anthology. Depending on how Cemetery Dance ultimately handles the presentation of the art at the beginning of each story, this could end up being among the greatest anthologies in your collection. (Kindle readers, you’re urged to look up color versions of each piece of artwork online prior to beginning the story, and keep them handy for reference.)

The book consists of 17 stories, and before anyone asks, yes, Stephen King’s story is excellent, and one of the nastiest and darkest present here. But it’s not the best. Robert Olen Butler, Lee Child, Michael Connely, Justin Scott, Jill D. Block and Joe R. Lansdale provide amazing work as well. But their’s aren’t the best, either.

Check out the full story list for a short breakdown of each, but the two greatest stories here, and whoppers they are, are provided by Nicholas Christopher and editor Lawrence Block. They’re sad, and they’ll break your heart. But there’s something else, something in them that says any dissolution currently being dealt with isn’t the end, and that the world turns sometimes for the better. Just like the underlying hope that can found a few layers deep in Hopper’s quietly bleak paintings.

“Rooms by the Sea” – Nicholas Christopher – A very wealthy family lives in a secluded mansion that opens onto the sea with a unique personal chef poached from a high-end restaurant. The house seems to mysteriously develop additional rooms each year, and as people grow old and pass away secrets are uncovered which reveal a sad history.
          This one’s incredible, and you don’t want to miss it no matter how or where you’re able to get ahold of it. It’s not just filled with possibility and wonder, but vibrant, vivid life is present on every page of a story that unfolds like both mystery and biography.

“Autumn at the Automat” – Lawrence Block – An elderly, widowed lady is dining frugally at a local automat, counting her nickels and overdue for her rent. When finished and leaving, she’s accused by the manager of stealing the restaurant’s cutlery.
          Despite the top-notch story from Mr. Christopher, Mr. Block’s is the best in the book. It’s not only devastating, offering a rare glimpse into many of our futures, it’s just a real, human story–transporting, transplanting us. This final story is the crown jewel in an over-achieving anthology.

Full story list
          Spoiler!

There’s only one baffling miss in the entire book, but you can forgive it by just moving on to the next story. Take your time looking at the artwork, and glance back at it a few times during the read if you’re so inclined. Then look at it once more when you’ve finished the story. Considering the disquieting art and the stories inspired by these paintings, this book offers an experience not to be missed.

“We get used to things, Liebchen. A man can get used to hanging.”
          -Lawrence Block, “Autumn at the Automat”

4+ stars

In Sunlight or In Shadow.jpg
          -John Barth

Comment

Another great review. I'd read my first Lawrence Block book earlier last year, and quite liked it, so add the mix works by King, Lansdale and other big name authors and this anthology is quite enticing. For whatever reason I haven't ordered it yet, but I hope to rectify that.

Comment

The limited edition will be signed by the editor, Lawrence Block, but I was fortunate to be able to pick up a copy of the trade hard cover that was signed by 12 of the contributors at a mass signing at the Mysterious Bookshop. I agree it is a fine anthology, I enjoyed it very much. The trade edition, by the way, has the same full color plates that the limited edition will have… I think the only difference between the two will be the size of the book and likely the paper stock. Whichever edition one chooses it is a great read. I think I also heard that Block is planning a follow up volume...can't wait.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thanks Theli, I bet you'd really like the book.

And Ron, that's awesome you got so many sigs! What a cool book to have. I had to look up each picture individually online, which was a bit of a pain but still worth it.
                -John Barth

Comment

Black Alibi - Cornell Woolrich

“When the laws of nature conflict with indisputable evidence like this, the laws of nature go into the discard. Who is to say what they are anyway—you? I?”

Manning, a recently successful promoter, convinces Kiki, his recently successful starlet client at the top of her game, to brandish a jaguar on a leash at a restaurant as a publicity stunt. The great cat becomes agitated and causes a huge uproar, escaping in the process, and a hunt for the cat ensues. Over the next few weeks mauled corpses begin cropping up, and the frustrated police aren’t getting any closer to capturing the beast. The promoter makes a nuisance of himself by second-guessing police efforts and inserting his opinions into their investigation. As the body count rises, a lone survivor from one of the attacks is approached by Manning, and together they hatch a dangerous plan to bring an end to the killings.
                  The incipient maleness of the boy rose to take the emergency in its stride. That was what men, big and small, were meant for: a sudden crisis like this, a flurry of violence.

Notably, after the shocking jaguar escape, the story morphs for a few moments into the absurd hilarity of the police chasing the cat and the manager trying to explain and justify himself. (In the span of a few pages I had to put the book down twice in order to finish laughing before resuming the read.) When you’re into an intense story involving the potential deadliness of a great cat, and what follows is a little buffoonery, the swing between the two extremes seems like genius. Then the reality settles in and wipes the smile off your face. Still, in regards to the first sixty pages or so, it’s rare to see a story move from intensity to hilarity to horror, each element bold but managing to flow gracefully to the next.

Woolrich’s third ‘Black’ novel is a serious affair despite some of the early levity. The great cat takes on supernatural characteristics as it continues evading its pursuers, and the population is either completely terrified of the escaped beast or refuses to acknowledge it’s out there killing at all, believing the entire affair is some brand of macabre hoax.
                  The living have no time to look at death; they cannot see it even if they try.

Language use is wonderful, as is consistent with the author's other works. Quotable phrases permeate the book, and his influence on snappy, witty noir monologue and dialogue becomes clearer with each novel under the belt.
                  “It will do no good. It never has from the beginning, it never will to the end of time. One can’t change the world.”

Black Alibi is an incredibly interesting story that not only hops back and forth over the line between crime thriller and horror, but contains four smaller, fleshed out stories within, each cut short when the overarching framework asserts itself. These four stories bring the terror up close and personal to the reader so the encompassing frame can present a much more vivid picture. Crime and horror fans both will find what they’re looking for here.

A breathless hush hung over everything, awaiting the arrival of the greatest killer of them all: night; remorselessly tracking down day and slaughtering it, every twenty-four hours, over and over again. The eternal murder, unpunished, unprevented.

4+

SAM_8768.jpg

SAM_8721.jpg

SAM_8741.jpg

SAM_8731.jpg

SAM_8761.jpg

SAM_8765.jpg
                  -John Barth

Comment

Sounds like quite an interesting concept. I suppose the connections are superficial, but the plot reminds me a bit of Poe's Murders in the Rue Morgue. Great looking book from CP as usual too.

Comment

Woolrich is one of my favorite authors of all time. I was so pleased to see Centipede take up the Woolrich project, and have both sets. Looking forward to more (and more Thompson and Brown!).

Comment

I've read a couple Brown short stories and enjoyed them. Normally a bit more light hearted than many of his contemporaries. Thompson I give top props to, love everything I have read from him and plan to read more this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                          Another great review. I'd read my first Lawrence Block book earlier last year, and quite liked it, so add the mix works by King, Lansdale and other big name authors and this anthology is quite enticing. For whatever reason I haven't ordered it yet, but I hope to rectify that.
                          My favorite Block is When the Sacred Gin Mill Closes. Great writer, one of the last of the Gold Medal gang!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                            My favorite Block is When the Sacred Gin Mill Closes. Great writer, one of the last of the Gold Medal gang!
                            I'm more a fan of his standalones than his series (of which I've read a few Scudders and Bernie Rhodenbarr volumes, but not many), but that's just my aversion to series fiction showing through...by all reports, his series work is just as good as his standalones. His short fiction is fantastic; anyone who hasn't yet read his short-fiction omnibus, ENOUGH ROPE, needs to remedy that asap!

Comment

Thanks for the tip on Enough Rope. I've been toying with reading Block's Hit Man and the other John Keller books while I'm on my crime spree. Any yeas or nays on that series from you guys?

And Ron, I'm with you on Woolrich. I'm loving the Black novels, with The Bride Wore Black my favorite so far. That girl was a refined predecessor to The Terminator.
                              -John Barth

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                                Thanks for the tip on Enough Rope. I've been toying with reading Block's Hit Man and the other John Keller books while I'm on my crime spree. Any yeas or nays on that series from you guys?
                                Remember I said I avoided series fiction, Block included? The exception to that is Block's Hitman/Keller novels...I love that series, and have bought and enjoyed each and every one. Max Allan Collins' QUARRY series -- another hitman series, kind of a favorite mystery niche of mine -- is also quite good, but I do prefer Block's Keller. Highly recommended.

And Ron, I'm with you on Woolrich. I'm loving the Black novels, with The Bride Wore Black my favorite so far. That girl was a refined predecessor to The Terminator.
                                Woolrich, by any standards, can be wildly uneven and at times ridiculous in his plotting and, let's face it, falls short on creating female characters to a pretty unhealthy degree (the fantastic bio, FIRST YOU DREAM, THEN YOU DIE (F. Nevins), shines light on some of the reasons why (recluse, antisocial closet homosexual, domineering mother, etc....pretty tragic life)), but even at his worst there's something undeniably compelling about his work...and at his best few of his generation can touch him for pure gothic-tinged, paranoiac suspense, of persecution by fate and noirish circumstances. Great stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X