Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September - How Many?

A bit late posting this bit I completed seven reads in September:

In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors by Doug Stanton:

Possibly the best story recounting true events in war time. The author used interviews with persons on board the doomed ship and the Japanese submarine that sunk it to build a very compelling story. The story recounts young men joining the war effort and being assigned to the ship. The ships successful journey to deliver the components of Little Boy that was to be assembled and dropped on Nagasaki. Then that fateful night sunk them in the pacific. The story then goes into the harrowing 4 days and nights that the survivors spent in the shark infested waters before discovery. They the US navy failed to realize a ship with over a thousand board was not missed until a plane searching for enemy submarines spotted them. Details of the survivor’s recovery and life after are shown in vivid detail. The Navy’s attempt to explain what happened while also trying to not take blame for the events that unfolded and the survivor’s fight to clear the name of the captain who was court-martialed. A nearly perfectly told story.

5 Stars

Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: The Mavericks Who Plotted Hitler's Defeat By Giles Milton:
    This is a fascinating story about the British Military Intelligence service that was devoted to Assassination and sabotage during World War II. This gave different perspectives in event form the war that I was already familiar with and that fascinated me. The only thing that I did not care for is that I think they spent too much time covering the politics of ungentlemanly warfare in Britain at the time. The topic needed to be covered to understand what the unit was facing but the coverage seemed excessive to me. With that said, this is a great read!
    5 Stars

Red Screen by Stephen King:
    An interesting little tale.
    3 Stars

The Fade by James Cooper:
    This was a new author for me and for the first 90% of the story he had me. The story follows two young men who both have troubled lives. They are able to escape those life by briefly disappearing into the fade. One of the men’s brothers see him fad away as he is walking towards the woods. The ending completely derails as each man finds cause to bring others into the Fade with them. They then need to battle the being who protects the Fade. Why did they never have issue when they went alone? What is the story behind the Fade? What is the story of this being inside the Fade? The conclusion of the story brings only questions and no answers. For 90% of the read this was a 4 star story. A 1 star conclusions brought it down to a 3 but just barely.
    3 Stars

Killer Crimes by Richard Chizmar and Brian James Freeman (Ed.):
    A solid collection of crime related short stories and novellas all tied to the crime theme. Mostly solid stories.
    3 Stars

The Chill by Scott Carson:
    Had hear about this story. It sounded interesting and I am always looking for new authors. This story really read like a Michael Koryta story with some supernatural thrown in. That feeling stuck with me throughout the read. After the fact I looked him up and it turns out Scott Carson is a pseudonym for Michael Koryta. He is using the Carson name to tell supernatural stories. If you like Koryta you will like this. He is a formulaic writer but it works for me.
    4 Stars

James Moriarty, Consulting Criminal by Andy Weir:
    A small collection of mystery stories set in the Sherlock Holmes universe. Interesting stories.
    3 Stars
Working...
X