Question about movie "Open Water"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about movie "Open Water"

For anyone who has seen this movie, I've got a question.

I'm working on a screenplay right now (mostly for fun, although I will try to do something with it; odds are not with me on succeeding though, so this is basically a hobby) that sort-of is in the same genre as "Open Water," in the sense that it tells a basically contained tale of being captured in a predicament. And it is based on a true story (although I have yet to find the news item that mentioned this, I remember it, but I just can't find it; that will be my one bit of marketing to agents or prodcos or whatever).

My question is, at what point in that movie did the trouble start? I am on page 40 and the trouble started a couple pages prior. I think that movie is about people being stranded in the ocean, so was there a long build-up to it? I confess: I am not a great writer, screenwriter, whatever. I have some good characters going, and there is a theme that ties into the predicament for which I am laying the groundwork, but I'm thinking 40 pages in and the real trouble starts, well, an audience or reader may not like that. I admit, it is tough to write a movie about a high-concept predicament (think "Gerald's Game") because it's difficult to make it anything but a short film (King of course is a pro, so he can do it, obviously). So I had to write some other stuff beforehand. Not an excuse, but like I say, I wanted to see how "Open Water" handled it. Can't find the screenplay, and I don't really want to watch it because I don't want to subtly start copying the structure. (Besides, I don't have free access to it anyway, and I'll also admit: doesn't sound like my kind of movie precisely, even though I am playing in the same sandbox).

So, just want to see if anyone here has seen this (I was trying to find the movie thread, but couldn't; assume that may no longer be around since the change-up on the forum). Thank you in advance...

This movie was just on the other day too, though it was very late in the film when I spotted it...

I'll see if it's on demand when I get home and I can give you a rough estimation.

Comment

Sorry I am just getting back to the thread now. Thanks Splync for replying. If you find anything out, please let me know.

Comment

Working...
      X