Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did CD drag you in to the Dark???!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started with CD when I wanted more information on book collecting and I googled "Steephen King book Collecting" one of the sites that came up was Cemetery Dance. I think this was in 2003. I went to their site and I saw books about Stephen King. I saw "The Stephen King Universe" I also saw "From a Buick 8' I think my first CD purchase was Secretary of Dreams II. Since then I have bought almost every book about Stephen King or by Stephen King that CD has to offer.

Comment

I bought their very first magazine (yes, I have #1, and #2, and all the rest) and their very first HC, SLIPPIN' INTO DARKNESS...so I guess you could say I've been with 'em since the very beginning.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

'Course, I was "in the dark" long before CD came on the scene. Late '70s horror (King, et al), Dark Harvest press, and so on...these were all sources I drew from prior to CD. Having said that, things sure got better once CD appeared...
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I first discovered Cemetery Dance back in 2007. I had just started getting serious about writing and I was curious about what markets existed for horror. I did a basic Google search and Cemetery Dance was one of the hits.

I didn't actually buy anything until Blockade Billy, though. I kept meaning to, but was never able to force myself to spend money on authors I wasn't familiar with at the time.
          "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

My first CD purchase was way back in 1997. I bought the signed/limited edition of Revelations. I still have it and I have over 25 more Cemetery Dance publications as well. I also have at least 5 on order and one (Tim Lebbon's latest) that just shipped to me today!

Comment

I think my first Cemetery Dance purchase was also "From a Buick 8". After I missed the boat on the Philtrum Press edition of "Six Stories" (which I still kick myself for) I determined I'd try to get any King signed or rarity that I could afford, and Cemetery Dance has been one of the best sources of books and information about other companies. I also started my subscription to the magazine at that time. I guess I could be considered a regular and loyal customer. Back in 2006 I attended the Borderlands Press writer's workshop and Kelly Laymon was there the first night. At that time she was working with Cemetery Dance. She recognized my name immediately and even knew where my P.O. box was. That kind of personal attention really astounded me, and made me think CD wasn't nearly as big as I thought they were.
              "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

My brother told me about CD, his fault I'm here.
                www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Comment

Hi, it's nice to see all the newbies and not so newbies. I think I win the prize as I started back in Dec 88 (Hi Rich). I saw an ad in some magazine (I assume) for a LT membership to a new magazine called Cemetery Dance. I was big into King, Koontz and ,McCammon, so I said I'll take a chance...hmmmm...guess I'm glad I did!
                  I've always wanted to visit CD and meet the crew, but I live on the west coast and have never been back east. Some year..I know my wife wants to go to NY.

Comment

Originally posted by larryki View Post
                    Hi, it's nice to see all the newbies and not so newbies. I think I win the prize as I started back in Dec 88 (Hi Rich). I saw an ad in some magazine (I assume) for a LT membership to a new magazine called Cemetery Dance. I was big into King, Koontz and ,McCammon, so I said I'll take a chance...hmmmm...guess I'm glad I did!
                    I've always wanted to visit CD and meet the crew, but I live on the west coast and have never been back east. Some year..I know my wife wants to go to NY.
                    Big Koontz fan!
                    www.weeklynovelreview.blogspot.com Every Monday I review and critique a different novel.

Comment

I was "floating" around CD close to the time they released Secretary of Dreams Volume I. But my first purchase came quite some time later: Blockade Billy.

Comment

My brother got me a copy of Johnny Halloween, signed. Still his fault you have to put up with me.

Comment

I discovered Cemetery dance,when The Dark tower Comics "The Gunslinger Born" collected was released at Night at NYC'sForbidden Planet, Back in March 2008. I saw a copy of the book Signed in Silver Marker- By Stephen king From the opening night. I bought it- immediately- flat sighed in Silver Marker by King Right below The Comic hardcover Illustration of "the Gunslinger". One of the Workers at Forbidden Planet Was Furious because he was saving up for it ;and trying not to draw attention to it.After he saw me pay my $110.00 for it he exclaimed," You got that book, with the King Signature,-but you know what I have Signed- I have "The Secretary of Dreams -then Volume 1 ". I had no idea about CD at that time.Then I hunted Cemetery Dance down while doing Business with Donald M.Grant over the phone/ a worker gave me the Scoop that the book which the NYC Forbidden Planet Guy was talking about was published by Cemetery Dance- I've been buying ever since although I own only 3 Signed Stephen king Items. IT is GOLDMINE to a disabled Fine Art Teacher like me. The Scribner Signed Under The Dome Deluxe with cards,with a Coffin case from CD. The Front Signed Comic That Betts Books told me is "VERY RARE". I also OWN a signed Edition Trade Hardcover of Under The Dome That My Lady Lucked out in the Draw , Hers was a winner or one of The Two tickets that I paid $500.00 for at Very Fine Books for Late Times Talks Opening Night of UTD. . It is PRIZED because I have The TIMES TALKS PROGRAM ,OUR TICKETS. and the SIGNED BOOK signed that night. Mostly because I was able to have front row seats and talk about the multiverse with Sai King a few feet away. It was on the bucket list to chat for a little while with Mr. Stephen King. Boooh Yah! I will never forget how kind,enthusiastic,and a true great listener he is. Not only a Great Talent-but, A Really NICE GUY,Someone I'd enjoy having a nice Cheeseburger and a beer with. Beambounder AKA E. Freemantle

Comment

Great story!
                            Thanks for sharing, Beambounder!

sk

Comment

Speaking of the Under the Dome signing tour, I must share my story about that. I don't know if any of you remember King did a signing at a Wal-Mart in Maryland. That was actually the town where I grew up. The Wal-Mart is on a property that was once the local theater, and was where my cousin and I went to see Cujo when it came out. I showed up at the store early in the morning to get my ticket and copy of the book (my 4th copy at that point since I'd ordered from amazon and had the limited and signed limited from the publisher). The deal was you got the book and ticket, then had to come back to the store and stand in line again for the talk and the signing. So this signing event bookmarked my work day. While Steve was giving his opening remarks, he gave a shout out to his friend Rich Chizmar. He looked somewhere behind the crowd as he said it, but there was no way I was going to miss the signing, even to meet the esteemed publisher. When Blockade Billy was announced, the timing seemed awfully right for that deal, or part of it, to have been hammered out while King was in town for that signing. (Hey Dan or Brian, any chance I'm right about that???)
                              "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

IS there a place to find out where he is signing? I read somewhere that he doesn't openly promote the tour as it causes too big of a crowd.
                                Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Working...
                                X