Please allow me to introduce myself...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
    ... I'm lucky, he's lucky, you're lucky ... we're all luuucky .
    But the bannister's the luckiest of all!

An official welcome then, Grant! Just don't forget about the Member's Collections section! And be careful when you're jumping to the left and stepping to the right (we middle-agers aren't as agile as we used to be.)
    Last edited by srboone; 10-13-2011, 04:44 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      But the bannister's the luckiest of all!

An official welcome then, Grant! Just don't forget about the Member's Collections section! And be careful when you're jumping to the left and stepping to the right (we middle-agers aren't as agile as we used to be.)
      Tell me about it Squire, have my work cut out just dusting off the grandfather clock in the hallway nowadays Forget about the Members Collection section ??? Not on your nelly mate, I've still got heaps of stuff to post, but have to restrict myself to one a day otherwise Connie starts making those funny little growling sounds that should be cute but are just plain scary

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
        Ron, what makes you think it's a joke? Back in college I worked at a comic book store, so my collection is quite large (mostly DCs & independents from the 80s), and all stacked in long boxes on a couple skids in the basement. My wife keeps asking when I plan on getting rid of them. I tell her never!

And I've been a huge King fan since soon after the 'Salem's Lot miniseries originally aired, so... 1979 (had to look it up).
        We need to exchange notes on comics .... I want to fire up a conversation. maybe I will start something in the general thread. Is that kosher?

Comment

Start a new thread, Ron. I've been out of the comic book scene since the early 90's, but it'd be interesting to read and chime in if I have anything to add.
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Sigh ... I finally pulled my head out of the Members Collection forum (as one, two, maybe three of you guys would know ) and see there are other threads I can stick my two bob's worth into ... I'm lucky, he's lucky, you're lucky ... we're all luuucky Okay, Valium's kicked in, nerves settled ... So, I'm Grant, middle aged grumpy old fart from Parramatta, Sydney (Australia), have been reading since about 4 or 5 (my first collection of books was at age 7, when my father brought home an orange crate full of ex-library books, including complete sets of Enid Blyton's "Famous Five" and "Secret Seven" - loved them, although, if read today, they're so politically incorrect it'd bring tears - of laughter - to your eyes). Have been a King fan since I wasn't old enough to see the original "Carrie" in the cinema cos of the rating, so went out and purchased the paperback - and haven't looked back. My goal, mission, passion - nah, obsession, is to collect everything, I mean EVERYTHING King related, with a couple of other bibs and bobs added for good measure (Koontz, Lee, Ketchum, Slaughter, et al) .... I work as an office manager for a wholesale meat company, which is ironic cos I don't like meat so much, work strange hours (my day kicks off at 2am - which works well for jumping online with some of my American cohorts, forum wise). Found CD (like a couple of others) through Blockade Billy, and have been driving Mindy and Kate nuts ever since. Hmm, what else ... Oh yeah, I have a very understanding (in terms of work hours and SK obsession) partner in Connie (who's an artist in her spare time) ... And, finally, I fess up to reading Clive Cussler (bad) and Jackie Collins (worse, much, much worse) when I want reading that I don't have to think about. Good to meet you all (including those, such as Squire, Siep, Tom, Mr Elk, that have already become forum buddies)
            LOL everything?? TV Guide articles, comics, magazines King wrote in, etc, etc??? Damn the comics alone drive me nuts. I forget what I have then buy the same ones over again. Like I posted elsewhere here, I finally decided on the HC editions when the comic series is over. It's just too much.
            BTW, anyone here have any Boneyard Press comics? In the early or mid 90's, I bought some really odd ones like Jeffrey Dahmer vs. Jesus Christ and an even more sick comic on Richard Speck (sp?). I guess I have around 2 dozen or so. They went defunct a long time ago but I have some signed issues. Wonder if they're worth anything? Those titles don't exactly fit with my conservative political views, but I've never been a prude

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
              LOL everything?? TV Guide articles, comics, magazines King wrote in, etc, etc??? Damn the comics alone drive me nuts. I forget what I have then buy the same ones over again. Like I posted elsewhere here, I finally decided on the HC editions when the comic series is over. It's just too much.
              BTW, anyone here have any Boneyard Press comics? In the early or mid 90's, I bought some really odd ones like Jeffrey Dahmer vs. Jesus Christ and an even more sick comic on Richard Speck (sp?). I guess I have around 2 dozen or so. They went defunct a long time ago but I have some signed issues. Wonder if they're worth anything? Those titles don't exactly fit with my conservative political views, but I've never been a prude
              Yep, pretty much everything (short stories, interviews, etc) - the "project" I'm currently working on is putting together the Castle Rock magazine from the 80's - have all bar five issues of it

Comment

the "project" I'm currently working on is putting together the Castle Rock magazine from the 80's - have all bar five issues of it
                I was lucky to be a subscriber, practically from day one. Those were the days..

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                  I was lucky to be a subscriber, practically from day one. Those were the days..

sk
                  Cool - wish I'd even been aware of subscribing and so forth a lot earlier than I did, although, putting together collections is an enjoyable passtime, thrill of the hunt and all

Comment

Yep, pretty much everything (short stories, interviews, etc) - the "project" I'm currently working on is putting together the Castle Rock magazine from the 80's - have all bar five issues of it
                    Man. That'd be too much for me to try and collect everything, whether it be from an author or stuff from horror movies or whatever. It used to be enough for me just to get all of King's books through the Stephen King Library (almost all of them)...I don't worry about first editions unless it's a signed trade or limited...then I got caught up in comics but I'm over that phase and just get the HCs. I remember Castle Rock and could of subscribed, but I'm not a King fanatic as Frik knows lol. And I don't mean "fanatic" in a bad way. I'm fanatical about certain things too.

Comment

Man. That'd be too much for me to try and collect everything, whether it be from an author or stuff from horror movies or whatever. It used to be enough for me just to get all of King's books through the Stephen King Library (almost all of them)...I don't worry about first editions unless it's a signed trade or limited...then I got caught up in comics but I'm over that phase and just get the HCs. I remember Castle Rock and could of subscribed, but I'm not a King fanatic as Frik knows lol. And I don't mean "fanatic" in a bad way. I'm fanatical about certain things too.
                      There was a time, seems so long ago now, where I had set a target for myself of owning a hardcover copy of all SK and Koontz books, nothing fancy, nothing complicated. Then, when trying to source some of the older ones (Australia is serviced, SK wise, by Hodder & Stoughton, and all we have here nowadays are the large soft cover versions of books imported) I found a whole new world of SK books - I'd never heard of SoD, Blockade Billy (neither of which have, or will ever be, released here in Australia). So, one thing led to another, and now I'm book rich and money poor Would I change that if I could ?? Nope, not at all !!!!

Comment

There was a time, seems so long ago now, where I had set a target for myself of owning a hardcover copy of all SK and Koontz books, nothing fancy, nothing complicated. Then, when trying to source some of the older ones (Australia is serviced, SK wise, by Hodder & Stoughton, and all we have here nowadays are the large soft cover versions of books imported) I found a whole new world of SK books - I'd never heard of SoD, Blockade Billy (neither of which have, or will ever be, released here in Australia). So, one thing led to another, and now I'm book rich and money poor Would I change that if I could ?? Nope, not at all !!!!
                        You can't get Blockade Billy in Australia??? That amazes me. Or do you just mean the edition with the baseball card? I bought that one here on CD I think, along with the slipcase then I got the "regular" one from the SKL....can't you just buy it on Amazon or the other places online that have it? As for SOD, I was lucky and able to buy both limiteds but I don't even know if they were also released by another publisher at a later date than when CD published them or what (I just don't keep up with that stuff; as long as I have the first edition, I'm satisfied).
                        And like I said on here previously, I was fanatical about trying to get every single comic based on King's work when they started with that, but it was driving me nuts so I had to quit. Just too damn many and no room to put them all. Just the HCs is all I try to remember nowadays to get.

Comment

You can't get Blockade Billy in Australia??? That amazes me. Or do you just mean the edition with the baseball card? I bought that one here on CD I think, along with the slipcase then I got the "regular" one from the SKL....can't you just buy it on Amazon or the other places online that have it? As for SOD, I was lucky and able to buy both limiteds but I don't even know if they were also released by another publisher at a later date than when CD published them or what (I just don't keep up with that stuff; as long as I have the first edition, I'm satisfied).
                          And like I said on here previously, I was fanatical about trying to get every single comic based on King's work when they started with that, but it was driving me nuts so I had to quit. Just too damn many and no room to put them all. Just the HCs is all I try to remember nowadays to get.
                          Nope, no Blockade Billy in any form Down Under - and it's getting more difficult to simply walk into a bookstore nowadays and find anything other than soft covers (speciality stores cater for some, but not all, of the hardcovers such as I collect) and it's worse now cos Borders and Angus & Robertson (an Australian chain) went under earlier this year. Having said that, now I use a combination of eBay, Abebooks, Amazon and CD for my collectible requirements now, so it's all good (although it's a shame that this doesn't support local businesses). SoD, I think you'll find, "belongs" to CD, so you won't see them published by anyone else anytime soon. As regards the comics, I'm still collecting the arcs as they're published (Dark Tower, The Stand, American Vampire) which I keep intact, then order the hardcover when it's released - like you say, it takes up a fair bit of space, but for now I'll continue to run with both

Comment

Nope, no Blockade Billy in any form Down Under - and it's getting more difficult to simply walk into a bookstore nowadays and find anything other than soft covers (speciality stores cater for some, but not all, of the hardcovers such as I collect) and it's worse now cos Borders and Angus & Robertson (an Australian chain) went under earlier this year. Having said that, now I use a combination of eBay, Abebooks, Amazon and CD for my collectible requirements now, so it's all good (although it's a shame that this doesn't support local businesses). SoD, I think you'll find, "belongs" to CD, so you won't see them published by anyone else anytime soon. As regards the comics, I'm still collecting the arcs as they're published (Dark Tower, The Stand, American Vampire) which I keep intact, then order the hardcover when it's released - like you say, it takes up a fair bit of space, but for now I'll continue to run with both
                            I still can't get over that. It's not like Australia is a third world country or somethin' lol. It would seem you could just walk into a bookstore and pick it up. But like both of us said, you can always get it from Amazon and the other places online. I don't know if they'll ship overseas, but I think both Betts and the Overlook Coonection have both SOD books. But Betts would have the price you'd want...a lot lower. But as for the comics...I did buy the first full ARC of the DT one, but that was it. I then reserved the 2 HC set by Marvel. But then like a dope, I ended up buying the American Vampire comic thinking it was only a few issues long and now it's like up to 12 or something? Anyway, I just forgot about that set and wasted money on it. Like I said, just the HCs nowadays. Do you know if that series will be published in HC??

Comment

But then like a dope, I ended up buying the American Vampire comic thinking it was only a few issues long and now it's like up to 12 or something?
                              I think King was only involved in the first hardcover of American Vampire. He's not listed as an author on the 2nd Hardcover.
                              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                                I think King was only involved in the first hardcover of American Vampire. He's not listed as an author on the 2nd Hardcover.
                                100% Mr Hocker, everything after Volume 1 is without King (I have all of them up to the end of the last full arc - # 18). It's one of those that I started because of King's involvement and continued cos the stories are pretty darn good

Comment

Working...
                                X