No announcement yet.

Martin's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there illustrations inside the Century's Best, or is it strictly stories?
    "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Comment

Strictly stories. Each story starts with a comment from the editor about selecting that story for the anthology. I love that kind of stuff. I am also trying to associate the cover art with the stories inside the volume, not sure if Mr. Clark created the images with specific stories in mind but the detail has me believing they are for specific stories.
      Originally posted by Hedda Gabler View Post
      Are there illustrations inside the Century's Best, or is it strictly stories?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        The Traveling Vampire Show and The Woods Are Dark from Richard Laymon:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]3034[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3035[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]3036[/ATTACH]
        Nice!!!Traveling vampire show I would love to have a limited edition of.That and savage are my 2 favorite Lymon books

Comment

Thanks, Traveling Vampire Show is my favorite Laymon book.
          Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
          Nice!!!Traveling vampire show I would love to have a limited edition of.That and savage are my 2 favorite Lymon books

Comment

Decided to move a way from limited edition's for a few I got books that I got signed at author signings. I have actually only gone to see an author read from their books four times. Considering I live near Powell's books and they have author appearances multiple times a week that seams low to me. I am not sure why I feel this way but I feel like I am intruding when I see an author live. Ready is very personal to me and it just feels strange to be in front of the author. For that reason it must be one of my favorite authors for me to go. I must say on the few occasions I went I had a blast.

The first time I went was to see Terry Anderson and his wife read from his memoir Den of Lions. Terry Anderson was held hostage in Beirut for seven years and the books tells of his ordeal and of his wife's during the same time. I read most, if not all, of the books from persons held hostage during those years and I must say this is probably the best of them.
            Den of Lions - Signed 1st.jpgDen of Lions - Signature.jpg

Comment

The second author reading I attended was at Powell's and I actually was surprised to see his name listed as a person doing a reading. I called Powell's to make sure it was correct before deciding to attend. The author, one of my all time favorites, was Peter Straub. He was scheduled to read from his new collection Magic Terror. I had no idea if he would sign other books or just the new release. I loaded my three favorite books into my car and went to Powell's about three hours before the event was scheduled. Upon arrival I did not know what to do with my books. I asked a clerk inside setting up chairs if the author would sign multiple books. He explained that each author was different and I should bring in everything I had, they would give me a receipt so they would know they were mine. I purchased his newest book and sat directly in front of the podium and began reading with my other books under my chair. About an hour before the event I was still the only person waiting. I looked up from my book and Mr. Straub was asking if he could sit next to me. I was able to chat with him about his current book tour and asked some questions about some earlier novels. After a few minutes he went to check in with the store. By the time he began his reading the chairs were full and many were standing beyond the chairs. When the signing portion began they began with me since I was sitting right there. I had the other books still in the bag and placed the new book on the table, I explained that I had no idea what he would sign so I brought a few older titles just in case he would sign them. Mr. Straub grinned and said 'You bought my new book so I will sign anything you brought.'
              Magic Terror - Signed 1st Cover.jpgMagic Terror - Signature Page.jpg
              Ghost Story - Signed 1st Cover.jpgGhost Story - Signature.jpg
              The Hellfire Club - Signed 1st Cover.jpgThe Hellfire Club - Signature Page.jpg

Comment

Peter Straub also Signed Mr. X at that signing:
                Mr. X - Signed 1st Cover.jpgMr. X - Signature Page.jpg
                I have only two limited editions from Mr. Straub, Sides:
                Sides - Limited Cover.jpgSides - Limitation Page.jpg
                and The General's Daughter:
                The General's Wife - Limited Cover.jpgThe General's Wife - Limitation Page.jpg

Comment

Although I do not have the limited editions these are two of my favorite stories.
                  Lost Boy Lost Girl is an amazing story, In the Night Room is a follow up story and while very good is not as good as the first.
                  Lost Boy Lost Girl - 1st Cover.jpgIn the Night Room - 1st Cover.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    Although I do not have the limited editions these are two of my favorite stories.
                    Lost Boy Lost Girl is an amazing story, In the Night Room is a follow up story and while very good is not as good as the first.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3369[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3370[/ATTACH]
                    Nice.Magic terror is where I first read pork pie hat one of my favorite Straub stories.

Comment

It is also the story Mr. Straub read an excerpt from during the appearance.
                      Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                      Nice.Magic terror is where I first read pork pie hat one of my favorite Straub stories.

Comment

I was not able to get anything signed from the third author I attended an appearance for. It is also the only appearance I payed for, and it was well worth it. Stephen King appeared at Benaroya Hall in Seattle to promote Lisey's Story. Seattle Art's & Lecture (SAL) was putting the event on and sold two levels of tickets. Basic General admission and Premium. The premium ticket included a guaranteed seat in one of the first four rows and a reception after the reading. They were very clear the Mr. King was invited to attend the reception but would only attend if he was feeling up to it, upon arriving we were told it was unlikely he would attemd the reception since he was not feeling well. Persons with premium were welcome to bring three books each with no promise that they would be signed. Upon arriving the hall was packed but with our premium tickets we were able to sit in the from row center. Mr. King came out, told a couple of funny stories and then read from Lisey's story. Upon entering everyone was given a card to write a question they would ask Mr. King if they could. After the reading a lady from SAL came on stage and read several of the questions to Mr. King. His answering of the questions is the portion of the event that I remember the most. The reason is each time he would begin answering the question and then tell a story that the question brought to his mind. By the end of the story everyone was laughing and I had always forgotten the question. Without fail each time he would re-state the question and give a direct answer. That will always stand out in my mind because there is no way I could have do what he did. The reception had very good food and drink but no Mr. King. After the reading though no one seemed to mind, we all just chatted about our favorite King stories and the event we had just been a part of.

Comment

The fourth and so far final author I attended a reading for was Joe Hill. He came to Powell's to promote his second novel Horns. Seeing both him and his father I was amazed at how similar they come across. They have the same sense of humor and both seam uncomfortable with celebrity. Thanks to Mr. Hills posts on his blog I new in advance that he would sign everything you brought as long as you waited until the people with five items or less went first. I still felt uncomfortable bringing very much.
                          After his reading he took questions and for the first few people he called on he gave them a set of light up horns. I was able to get a pair of the horns and even got them signed.
                          Joe Hill Horns.jpgHorns - Signed 1st Cover.jpgHorns - Signature Page.jpg
                          I also had him sign the slipcase of my UK limited Heart Shape Box.
                          Heart Shaped Box - UK Limited Signed Slipcase.jpgHeart Shaped Box - Limitation Page.jpg

Comment

Additional items from Joe Hill:
                            20th Century Ghost - Cover 1st.jpg20th Century Ghost - Signed Doodled 1st.jpg
                            20th Century Ghost was signed at his Powell's appearance.

I received a signed bookplate from a promotion when pre-ordering a copy of the paperbook Horns. Not sure what I will do with it yet but I may frame it with my horns. The UK 20th Century Ghosts is unsigned.
                            Horns - Paperbook Signed Book Plate.jpg20th Century Ghost - UK Paperback.jpg

Comment

I have signed copies of each hardbound Locke & Key:
                              LK 1 Welcome to Lovecraft - HB Signed 1st.jpgLK 1 Welcome to Lovecraft - HB Signature.jpg
                              LK 2 Headgames - HB Signed 1st.jpgLK 2 Headgames - Signature Page.jpg

Comment

More Locke & Key:
                                LK 3 Crown of Shadows - HB Signed 1st.jpgLK 3 Crown of Shadows - Signature Page.jpg
                                LK 4 Keys to the Kingdom - HB Signed 1st.jpgLK 4 Keys to the Kingdom - Signature Page.jpg
                                I also have all the original comics, i will post them later.

Comment

Working...
                                X