Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brlesh
    replied
    Congratulations on snagging a signed copy of 'In the Tall Grass'.

A great addition to the collection.

Also a pretty cool story, with or without the signatures.

B

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Recent additions.

Independent Bookstore edition of In The Tall Grass:
    DSC_0939.JPGDSC_0942.JPGDSC_0940.JPGDSC_0941.JPG
    Last edited by Martin; 05-21-2021, 12:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    In a rare exercise of self-restraint, I skipped A SCANNER DARKLY...but, man, those pics are making me question that move.
    Due past experience reading Phillip K Dick I considered sitting this one out. It is not a story I was familiar with and it sounded intriguing so I bought it. When I get around to reading it I will decide if I should keep it.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    In a rare exercise of self-restraint, I skipped A SCANNER DARKLY...but, man, those pics are making me question that move.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by goathunter View Post

I've been a Superman fan my whole life. I got out of reading Superman around 1980 (when I was 16) and got back into it while in college---just in time to learn that some guy named John Byrne was taking over Superman and starting over. I hated the thought---Curt Swan's art was Superman to me---until I actually read Man of Steel, the Byrne six-issue mini-series. It blew me away. I loved it. Still do. I started following all of the Superman titles. I was sad when Byrne left, but Roger Stern, Jerry Ordway, and others ably took over. Then came Dan Jurgens and others, and the whole death and return of Superman storyline was amazing (IMO). I read Superman through the '90s, though they almost lost me during the Superman Red and Superman Blue year. I stuck it out until around 2000. By then, all of the artists I enjoyed had been replaced by young artists influenced by manga. Superman was usually depicted as some sort of hyper-muscled freak, and Lois Lane looked like a Japanese schoolgirl. And I'd had enough. I've stuck my toes in the water periodically since then, each time they announce some "big" change, and they've all been terrible (again, IMO). So I spend my comic-reading time re-reading Superman titles from the late '60s through 1997 or so. I highly recommend Byrne's relaunch through the Return of Superman story.
    I absolutely love serialized story telling which is exactly what comics are. For some reason the only comic I ever really got into was Locke & Key. I need to find another comic that has a story that grabs me like Locke & Key did.

Leave a comment:

• goathunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I've even been toying with tackling all the SUPERMAN books from John Byrne's relaunch to the "New 52".
    I've been a Superman fan my whole life. I got out of reading Superman around 1980 (when I was 16) and got back into it while in college---just in time to learn that some guy named John Byrne was taking over Superman and starting over. I hated the thought---Curt Swan's art was Superman to me---until I actually read Man of Steel, the Byrne six-issue mini-series. It blew me away. I loved it. Still do. I started following all of the Superman titles. I was sad when Byrne left, but Roger Stern, Jerry Ordway, and others ably took over. Then came Dan Jurgens and others, and the whole death and return of Superman storyline was amazing (IMO). I read Superman through the '90s, though they almost lost me during the Superman Red and Superman Blue year. I stuck it out until around 2000. By then, all of the artists I enjoyed had been replaced by young artists influenced by manga. Superman was usually depicted as some sort of hyper-muscled freak, and Lois Lane looked like a Japanese schoolgirl. And I'd had enough. I've stuck my toes in the water periodically since then, each time they announce some "big" change, and they've all been terrible (again, IMO). So I spend my comic-reading time re-reading Superman titles from the late '60s through 1997 or so. I highly recommend Byrne's relaunch through the Return of Superman story.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Awesome stuff Martin. Love the garden! And I should get my Full Bleed tomorrow.
    Thanks. The Full Bleed four book set is pretty cool and I am really glad I stuck with it. I really like the garden but need to come up with more used for Dill. The Dill plant is now over 4 feet tall from the dirt to the tip an growing every day.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Awesome stuff Martin. Love the garden! And I should get my Full Bleed tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Full Bleed Volume 4:
    Interior
    DSC_0931.JPGDSC_0934.JPGDSC_0930.JPGDSC_0935.JPGDSC_0933.JPG
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Full Bleed Volume 4 with Slipcase for the set:
    Exterior
    DSC_0928.JPGDSC_0938.JPGDSC_0936.JPG ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Another addition from Joe Hill's charity sale,
    Locke & Key Shades of Terror Coloring Book:
    DSC_0922.JPGDSC_0926.JPGDSC_0924.JPGDSC_0925.JPGDSC_0927.JPG

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    And a few interior photos:
    DSC_0910.JPGDSC_0909.JPGDSC_0912.JPGDSC_0911.JPGDSC_0913.JPGDSC_0914.JPG

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Recently received the Artist Edition of A Scanner Darkly from Suntup.
    Exterior:
    DSC_0905.JPGDSC_0906.JPGDSC_0908.JPGDSC_0907.JPG

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    The Dill and Strawberries really love the self watering garden box. I need to find more uses for Dill. Tomatoes have recovered from the frost damage. The Dill plant is more than three feet tall and the Strawberry leaves may be the largest I have ever seen.
    DSC_0915.JPGDSC_0920.JPG

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I like the copy of PLUNGE, as well. I was intrigued by the Hill House line, especially THE DOLLHOUSE FAMILY as I'm a big fan of Mike Carey's work. My days of collecting comics are over, though. It's been 10 years and I don't see me going back to buying monthly books. DC used to be my favorite publisher, by far. "The New 52" killed it for me. Now, when I read the news about upcoming titles from them, I'm just confused. Maybe it'd make sense if I was following books monthly, but from my vantage point they seem to be throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

I have been thinking about following up on some old titles/runs that I never got around to: Grant Morrison's BATMAN run, Peter David's INCREDIBLE HULK (in my opinion, Peter David is one of the best long-form comic book writers), Chuck Dixon's run on ROBIN. I've even been toying with tackling all the SUPERMAN books from John Byrne's relaunch to the "New 52". I also need to get around to reading the entirety of HELLBLAZER and Alan Moore's run on SWAMP THING. Oh, and 100 BULLETS.

So, there's a decent amount, but it's a distant thought. Something I'd like to get around to, but don't know if I will. I don't really want to spend the money on the books and reading comics on a computer doesn't interest me.
    Prior to Locke & Key I had never purchased a comic. Unless you consider Mad Magazine a comic. While Locke & Key was going strong when I would enter the comic shop they would ask me if I had a box. At that point I never considered it as I planned on being there on release day. When life went hell it would have helped. I have tried find another comic that I enjoyed as much as Locke & Key without success.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X