Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
        They look great!
        Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
          Love those framed pieces! Very nice!
          Thank you.

Comment

So here is the copper art I had made to honor my wife. She was a very proud Irish woman (Maiden name: Gallagher). I had him place Celtic knots surrounding a Celtic Tree of Life.
            Celtic Knots have no beginning or end and often symbolize the never ending circle of life. The Celtic Tree of Life often symbolizes a gathering point and protected space.
            IMG_1045.jpg
            Last edited by Martin; 07-19-2020, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Wow, Martin! That's gorgeous and a great tribute to your wife. Thanks for sharing something so personal and meaningful.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                Wow, Martin! That's gorgeous and a great tribute to your wife. Thanks for sharing something so personal and meaningful.
                Thank you, I am very pleased with how it turned out. A little side note on its journey to me. It was made in central Poland. The maker shipped it via UPS and charged me $25 for shipping. It made it from central Poland to Vancouver Washington in three days. On the second day of the journey UPS notified me that tariffs were due and gave me the option to pay them online. I paid them. On day three the UPS driver showed up at 3:30 PM Pacific time . Stood on my porch with the item and stated that he could not give it to me unless I paid him the amount due. I explained that I had paid online and showed him the receipt. On the top of the receipt it states 'You may need to present this receipt for the driver to deliver the item.' I tried to give him the receipt and he explained that unless it is identified as paid in his handheld he could not give me the item. He showed me a phone number on the handheld device that I would need to call. I called the number while he waited. They close at 5:30 PM eastern time, so they had been closed an hour. He then said he would be back tomorrow and that I should call the number in the morning. So I called in the morning and they said that they could see it was paid but sometimes it takes a while to make it to the delivery outlets. She then stated that she could force it down but it still may take a day and as it was now Friday I may need to wait until Monday to actually receive the item. I explained that this would not be acceptable and that I need assurances that I would receive the item today. She then explained that if when the driver arrived it was not cleared I could call them again. I am now in groundhog day and explained to her that she would be closed when the driver arrived. She then suggested I call the local UPS office and make sure they have the update. Great solution "please give me the number to the Vancouver Washington UPS." "We here at UPS do not know those numbers but you can look it up in the website." So I looked it up and found an 800 number for the Vancouver UPS and called. After about 20 minutes on the phone with the first person I then waited on hold for 20 minutes for the local office. I finally reach someone and am told that they can see it is paid but they could not assure me that I made it to the drivers device and again stated that Monday at the latest I would have my item. 40 minutes in my patience was now wearing thin. I explained in very clear terms that I will not wait until Monday and that she needed to get me to someone who will guarantee that the item will be delivered today. She did get the message and asked if she could put me on hold while she tried to contact the Vancouver UPS. While on hold I decided to check and sure enough the local UPS offices all have the same phone number so I have still been speaking to someone at UPS HQ. Another 10 minutes on hold, I have now been on the phone an hour, she cam back on an said that the manager of the Vancouver UPS would be calling me within the hour. 10 minutes later a call comes in from a blocked number and goes straight to voicemail. It is a message from UPS stating very clearly that "The driver has been told this invoice is paid and will deliver your package today." So at almost 5:30 PM I hear a very light knock on the door. Assuming it is UPS I rush to the door. I was at the door within 5 seconds of the knock. The driver appears to have knocked and run because he is already around the garage and out of site. But the package is leaned up against the wall. Ok so it was not a "little side note" but a rather long diatribe. My first experience directly dealing with tariffs and my takeaway is if you have a package coming with tariffs due wait and pay the driver directly!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Thank you, I am very pleased with how it turned out. A little side note on its journey to me. It was made in central Poland. The maker shipped it via UPS and charged me $25 for shipping. It made it from central Poland to Vancouver Washington in three days. On the second day of the journey UPS notified me that tariffs were due and gave me the option to pay them online. I paid them. On day three the UPS driver showed up at 3:30 PM Pacific time . Stood on my porch with the item and stated that he could not give it to me unless I paid him the amount due. I explained that I had paid online and showed him the receipt. On the top of the receipt it states 'You may need to present this receipt for the driver to deliver the item.' I tried to give him the receipt and he explained that unless it is identified as paid in his handheld he could not give me the item. He showed me a phone number on the handheld device that I would need to call. I called the number while he waited. They close at 5:30 PM eastern time, so they had been closed an hour. He then said he would be back tomorrow and that I should call the number in the morning. So I called in the morning and they said that they could see it was paid but sometimes it takes a while to make it to the delivery outlets. She then stated that she could force it down but it still may take a day and as it was now Friday I may need to wait until Monday to actually receive the item. I explained that this would not be acceptable and that I need assurances that I would receive the item today. She then explained that if when the driver arrived it was not cleared I could call them again. I am now in groundhog day and explained to her that she would be closed when the driver arrived. She then suggested I call the local UPS office and make sure they have the update. Great solution "please give me the number to the Vancouver Washington UPS." "We here at UPS do not know those numbers but you can look it up in the website." So I looked it up and found an 800 number for the Vancouver UPS and called. After about 20 minutes on the phone with the first person I then waited on hold for 20 minutes for the local office. I finally reach someone and am told that they can see it is paid but they could not assure me that I made it to the drivers device and again stated that Monday at the latest I would have my item. 40 minutes in my patience was now wearing thin. I explained in very clear terms that I will not wait until Monday and that she needed to get me to someone who will guarantee that the item will be delivered today. She did get the message and asked if she could put me on hold while she tried to contact the Vancouver UPS. While on hold I decided to check and sure enough the local UPS offices all have the same phone number so I have still been speaking to someone at UPS HQ. Another 10 minutes on hold, I have now been on the phone an hour, she cam back on an said that the manager of the Vancouver UPS would be calling me within the hour. 10 minutes later a call comes in from a blocked number and goes straight to voicemail. It is a message from UPS stating very clearly that "The driver has been told this invoice is paid and will deliver your package today." So at almost 5:30 PM I hear a very light knock on the door. Assuming it is UPS I rush to the door. I was at the door within 5 seconds of the knock. The driver appears to have knocked and run because he is already around the garage and out of site. But the package is leaned up against the wall. Ok so it was not a "little side note" but a rather long diatribe. My first experience directly dealing with tariffs and my takeaway is if you have a package coming with tariffs due wait and pay the driver directly!
                  Than one crazy story Martin. The backsplash looks amazing. A wonderful tribute to your wife. The Hill story and the King Print are awesome as well. Some very nice and one very important addition to your collection.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

Than one crazy story Martin. The backsplash looks amazing. A wonderful tribute to your wife. The Hill story and the King Print are awesome as well. Some very nice and one very important addition to your collection.
                    Thank you.

Comment

I tell ya, Martin. You have one helluva time with packages. From taking road trips across the entire country to now this. Thanks for the heads up if I should ever get stuck with a tariff. Hopefully the driver would be able to take plastic.

Comment

OMG that's beautiful Martin!!! Breathtaking!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                          I tell ya, Martin. You have one helluva time with packages. From taking road trips across the entire country to now this. Thanks for the heads up if I should ever get stuck with a tariff. Hopefully the driver would be able to take plastic.
                          He was fully prepared for me to pay with a card. Of course I did not consider that an option since I had a receipt in my hand telling him I had already paid.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                            OMG that's beautiful Martin!!! Breathtaking!
                            Thank you, I keep looking at it. Our home is great room style so it can be seen from most of the living area of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

He was fully prepared for me to pay with a card. Of course I did not consider that an option since I had a receipt in my hand telling him I had already paid.
                              Right. And image the hassle of trying to get your money back if you had just paid him on the spot.

Comment

Time for some nook updates. Not all of these are new but I do not believe I have posted them before.
                                First up is Weird Fiction Review from Centipede Press:
                                I have to be honest I have avoided buying this because I suspected I would like it too much and end up buying it each year. I jumped in last year to check out Mr. Clinton's Column.
                                IMG_1050~photo.JPGIMG_1051~photo.JPGIMG_1052~photo.JPGIMG_1053~photo.JPGIMG_1054~photo.JPG
                                So my assessment of my first Weird Fiction Review. Ron's article was very interesting. Overall this book is packed with good non-fiction writing, I am working my way through the non-fiction. There is plenty of fiction that I will eventually get to. Will I continue to buy this? Yes, what I have read so far is worth the price of admission and as I suspected, I need to continue.

Comment

Working...
                                X