• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've still never read any Gaiman, i hang my head in shame

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
      I've still never read any Gaiman, i hang my head in shame
      As well you should. Not even Sandman?
      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
        As well you should. Not even Sandman?
        Nope nothing.

Comment

Great stuff Patrick, keep 'em coming !!!!!

Comment

American Gods is a great book! Are there any MAJOR differences between AG and The Definitive Version?
            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Tom, Terry is right, you really should try out some Gaiman. A lot of people started with the Sandman series, but I started with his novels, AMERICAN GODS first and then ANANSI BOYS.

Grant, thank you, I will, but it will probably be next week before I have the chance (I travel a lot, not far, just often).

Squire, Gaiman was asked to shorten the novel when it was first published and he wasn't as well known. The Author's Preferred Text includes a reinsertion of approx. 12,000 words. Also, in the process of adding back in these earlier cuts, Gaiman worked through the full novel making updates and fixes, and generally ensuring that story would flow. I have read the original published story, but haven't yet read this longer version. I look forward to doing so at some point when I'm ready.

Comment

Sounds like I need to get this one! I hope hed ddi a better job than King did with his revision of The Stand! As it is, AG is an outstanding book. Looking forward to reading the "Definitive" (also when I'm ready). Thanks, Patrick.
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Yep, I just want to get through other things on the ever-growing To Read list!

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                    American Gods is a great book! Are there any MAJOR differences between AG and The Definitive Version?
                    I've read both versions (several years apart), but truthfully didn't notice any significant differences. There were a couple additional short vignettes about some of the minor gods (those who have read the original will know what I mean). And more filling throughout the text.

I'm one of the minority who liked the longer version of The Stand. My only problem with it was the revisions that changed the time period and the anacronisms that arose from that. But I especially loved the scenes with Frannie burying her dad, and the additional background on Trashcan Man.

And for those who haven't read enough (or any) Gaiman, I have to repeat that "Good Omens", which he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett, is one of my all-time favorite reads.
                    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Thanks for your perspective, Terry. I kind of got the impression that the AG additions were going to be sprinkled throughout the book rather than being one or two big new chunks. I prefer the way you described. Thanks.

I have only read the Uncut version of THE STAND, never the original.

Funny you should mention, GOOD OMENS. I've wanted to read that for a while, but hadn't gotten around to it. I plan to start it next, after I finish Palahniuk's DAMNED, which I had put on hold to read King's 11.22.63. Things keep getting bumped, but GOOD OMENS is up next!

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                        Funny you should mention, GOOD OMENS. I've wanted to read that for a while, but hadn't gotten around to it. I plan to start it next, after I finish Palahniuk's DAMNED, which I had put on hold to read King's 11.22.63. Things keep getting bumped, but GOOD OMENS is up next!
                        Very good! There are parts of "Good Omens" that get me to laugh out loud, even after 7 or 8 readings now. I've had people wonder about my sanity while reading that book. "Terry, why are you laughing? I thought you were reading." I guess they've never read something so amusing.

Comment

Good Omens is laugh out loud funny. I did feel bad for the fed-ex (?) guy who delivered War her sword, tho.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Just found a flatsigned copy of American Gods: the Definitve Version on abe for $45. Thanks again for the info, guys.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                              Good Omens is laugh out loud funny. I did feel bad for the fed-ex (?) guy who delivered War her sword, tho.
                              Scarlett wasn't the problem! It was that last delivery to the one who was "other".

One of my favorite lines: "Shadwell hated all Southerners and, by inference, was standing at the North Pole."

Comment

Congrats on tracking down a copy, Squire. Read Gaiman's intro to this edition, it's pretty interesting.

Terry, I'll be starting GOOD OMENS tomorrow night. Looking forward to it!

Comment

Working...
                                X