srboone's collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srboone View Post
    Here's the first thing I bouight from Easton Press: The 17-volume unexpurgated Thousand Nights and a Night.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4825[/ATTACH]

At one volume per month, it took me 1 1/2 years to collect. My paln was to read each volume as I received it; that lasted through book 5, then other things vied for my attention. I actually envisioned getting through this set before War & Peace!
    That is an awesome looking set!
    Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Each volume has a front piece plate art covered in tissue with the title printed on it.

DSCF1027.jpg

10012.jpg

Then around 5 or 6 more plates are spread through out each volume.

A couple of interesting things I found out about this monumental work: First, that only the first 10 volumes contain the translation. the remaining 6 are appendices, including portions of other translations that Burton disagreed with and explanations why he fe feels his is better, and an index. That means that the Thousand Nights and a Night is between 3100-3300 pages in length, compared to the 5000-page length of the set. 2) That the stories in those 10 volumes are told as one story. It begins with Shaharazad devising a way to save her own life, then she begins with one tale and that tale reminded one of the characers in the tale of another tale, and so on. It can be overwhelming at times, but the 5 volumes I've read were exciting and fascinating.

I drooled over the catalog that had this set in it for over a year before I made the leap, but I'm glad I did.
      Last edited by srboone; 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm so proud of having this set on my shelves, I can't figure out why it took me so long to get around to posting it. I think because nobody really knew how these threads were going to work and most of the stuff was from CD and other small presses.
        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

A very nice set, but maybe a little too unexpurgated. (The expurgated version doesn't have the gannet; they wet their nests)

And maybe it's a bit too much Richard Burton. Remember what Allan Sherman had Queen Victoria singing in "Won't You Come Home Disraeli":

You claim official business took you away
          To Egypt, and Bombay, and Rome.
          Well, I ain't so certain,
          'Cause you're the Nineteenth Century Richard Burton
          Disraeli won't you please (I miss you Dizzy)
          Disraeli won't you please come home.
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I think he was refering to the actor Richard Burton (and not the 19th century explorer Richard Burton who translated the trabian Nights) who reputedly had women all over the world (even while married to Elizabeth Taylor), but...ok

Loved the song; had never heard it before, but thanks for getting me to go look for it on youtube!
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Very nice set of books.

Comment

Squire, that is one sexy set of books you have there !!!!!

Comment

I really have to get me one of those Easton books! Squire anything you can recommend that theyve put out? Either fantasy, thriller/horror/mystery. Thats affordable and does not consist of 13 volumes, but preferably one!

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                    I really have to get me one of those Easton books! Squire anything you can recommend that theyve put out? Either fantasy, thriller/horror/mystery. Thats affordable and does not consist of 13 volumes, but preferably one!
                    PMed ya, Pete.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
                      Squire, that is one sexy set of books you have there !!!!!
                      Well...when I get buzzed, I think of my books as my harem. There always there when I want them, I can use them, as I see fit; some, I admit some are probably only eye-candy, but I can read and re-read (even if only in part) any that suit me at the time.

So I guess they can be "sexy".
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                        PMed ya, Pete.
                        Thanks Squire!

Comment

You're welcome, Pete!

Another Easton Press purchase:

DSCF1033.jpg

I had actually just finished reading the trade paperbacks of these when they appeared on EP's site; so I ordered them and gave the pbs to my brother for his children.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

DSCF1041.jpgDSCF1051.jpg

Frontpiece art by Richard Sparks. Photo didn't turn out well....
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Note card that came with The Iliad

I1.jpg

I2.jpg
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

DSCF1045.jpgDSCF1050.jpg

Much better photo--flash helps sometimes! Frontpiece art again by Richard Sparks.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X