Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• srboone
    replied
    A lovely birthday surprise from Centipede Press: The Complete Kane by Karl Edward Wagner (I went for the unsigned editions. No sigs, but tons of awesome art.):

DSCF5066 (473x640).jpg

Bloodstone; art by Patrick J. Jones

DSCF5069 (400x294).jpgDSCF5071 (400x299).jpg
    DSCF5085 (295x400).jpgDSCF5087 (295x400).jpgDSCF5089 (285x400).jpg

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Super additions Squire. Nice to have you around here again. I too have been very busy and not here much.

Leave a comment:

• Plasticine
    replied
    Great additions. That Skeleton Crew cover looks so much better than the original art.

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    Very nice addition's Squire! I saw that copy of The Tale of Genji go up for sale on EP's website and wanted it, very nice indeed! Also somewhat jealous of your copy of The Elfstones of Shanarra, I would have jumped all over that had I known. And lastly Skeleton Crew is very nice too, the alternate art is MUCH better than the original concept, and the slipcase looks great.

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    Thanks, Brian (welcome to the forum, BTW). Whenever I get notice of a new edition that I really want, I start fretting about it being sold out before I can get the funds together to get it. I've been sweating this one for three catalogs!

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Easton does some beautiful work for sure. Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Nice additions, I may check out 'The tale of Genji'.

Leave a comment:

• William J. Grabowski
    replied
    Hey, some very nice editions! Glad to hear no one was injured in the accident (well, your wallet took a hit).

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    A couple other recent acquisitions:

PS Publishing's Skeleton Crew:

DSCF5041 (640x474).jpg

And a signed copy of The Elfstones of Shanara by Terry Brooks. A special printing of the book for B&N's Black Friday Sale (with the classic Darrell K. Sweet cover art!):

DSCF5059 (480x640).jpgDSCF5061 (480x640).jpg

More to post, but not tonight. I'm at work and tomorrow is for Star Wars. And Friday, I have to get a new car since a nice, but quite clueless, 20-year-old girl rear-ended my Corolla. At least her daddy was smart enough to know that it was his daughter's fault. We're both Navy vets and did more sea-story-swapping than talking about the accident (him I liked).

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    My Christmas shopping is done (been done for about a week) and I finally decided on a gift for myself.

DSCF5050 (640x480).jpg

Easton Press' The Tale of Genji. The 11th century Japanese narrative that is considered the world's first novel. I read this book (in a different translation) in April of this year and became obsessed with it. Since then, I've managed to get my hands on copies of the three major English translations of the complete work and a new "modern" translation was published in November. So my "Genji" shelf now looks like this:

DSCF5053 (640x480).jpg

(left to right)

EP's-the Arthur Waley translation of 1929 (The translation that brought a complete Genji to the English-speaking world.
    Dennis Washburn translation (2015--modern translation)
    Royall Tyler translation (2001--the "scholarly," heavily foot-noted translation. The first one I read.)
    Edward Siedensticker translation (1976--meant as a more complete experience than the Waley translation [Waley never visited Japan])
    Paperback copy of the Waley translation (read in November of this year)

Some of you may have noticed a bookmark in the "Tyler" translation of the book.

I bought it two months ago and needed a place to store it.
    Last edited by srboone; 12-17-2015, 03:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Originally posted by srboone View Post
    Yes, I do. And I will. Soon.

But I've seen the movie at least 10 time!

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    Very nice additions Squire. Congratulations.......oh and WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVE NOT EVER READ TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD !!!!???????!!!!??????.........As Brian Keene says on the horror show pod cast ......"You need to Unf#/&: that .
    Yes, I do. And I will. Soon.

But I've seen the movie at least 10 time!

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Very nice additions Squire. Congratulations.......oh and WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVE NOT EVER READ TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD !!!!???????!!!!??????.........As Brian Keene says on the horror show pod cast ......"You need to Unf#/&: that .

Leave a comment:

• Joe315
    replied
    Originally posted by srboone View Post
    It's not self-published, as far as I can tell. The only indication (for me in my limited experience) is a copyright to CreateSpace.
    Create space prints a lot of the current self published books. They are part of Amazon so they handle print versions of kindle books.

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Very cool adds! Nice inscriptions by the author, too!
    I told the author that I only wanted the first one inscribed; the others could be flat-signed. I didn't ask for anything specific--he got an unsolicited review of the first book from me, so I wasn't going to solicit anything specific from him. He did tell me that his wife doesn't like it when he's writing because he's distracted. But I hope he continues to write.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X