No announcement yet.

srboone's collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got this today. It's a stunning book (though I find the design reminiscent of CD'd It--imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!)

DSCF3374 (480x640).jpgDSCF3376 (480x640).jpg
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

A couple of the interiors by Richard A Kirk.

DSCF3378 (640x480).jpg
      DSCF3380 (640x480).jpg
      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Yep. I LOVE that gift edition of Weaveworld!!!

Comment

Yes Squire even though I do not like weaveworld That is one very very awesome looking book.

Comment

Wow, that is awesome!! Tempted, oh so tempted! ;D

Comment

It is VERY worth the price peteOcha/ $45 for an oversized, heavy paper and art-heavy edition of Weaveworld is very worth it!!

Comment

Latest acquisition. A real life Snoopy/Red Baron story. During WWII, a lone crippled American B-17 bomber is flying across Germany trying to get home when a Meeserschmitt fighter appears on it's tail. The German ace (Second Leutenant Franz Stigler) allows the American pilot (Second Leutenant Charlie Brown--I kid you not) safe passage, saluting him in farewell. They later met after the war and remained friends until they died (2 months apart) in 2008 . The story was classified by the Air Force at the time (they didn't need any of our boys hesitating on the trigger thinking "what if this is one of the 'good' Germans?" And Stigler was told he would face a firing sqyuad if he told his story. Moved to the top of my TBR (probably right after Carrion Comfort).

DSCF3382 (480x640).jpg

And something I've had for a while, but not posted.

DSCF3384 (640x480).jpgDSCF3386 (480x640).jpg
                Last edited by srboone; 01-16-2013, 08:44 PM.
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Finally, a bit of (non-book) nostalgia. A reminder of when I was fitter and better looking--and one of the few things I brought back from Japan after my tour of duty ended: my Fuji stick.

DSCF3388 (640x480).jpg

I got it when I climbed Mt. Fuji in 2001. The climb started off at around 2300 meters above sea level and ended up around 8400 meters. There are 13 stations on the route up, each one you can buy water and a stamp that denotes the station. The top has a small restaurant and place to relax before starting the trek down. The trek up took me 4 hours, but the trek down to 30 minutes! The climb up had trails trails and rock faces, but the trek down was a zigzagging path over volcanic rock that you could actually run down! At each station , they also sold--CANNED AIR!! and the higher you got, it was more expensive (I never bought any, though I did feel the air getting thinner as I climbed.) I did get all thirteen stamps, though.

DSCF3389 (640x480).jpg
                  DSCF3391 (640x480).jpg
                  DSCF3393 (480x640).jpg
                  DSCF3395 (480x640).jpg
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

That is so cool! Definitely something you don't see everyday. Congrats on the climb!

Comment

Your Fuji stick is frickin awesome.
                      "now youes can't leave"
                      A Bronx Tale
                      directed by Robert De Niro.

Comment

There are social clubs that do the climb once a year. I was was with a group of people who had been doing this for 20 years and they all had photos of their sticks to prove it! An interesting tidbit of info I picked up was that at the beginning of the climbing season, the station workers climbed the mountain and then stayed up there all seaon! Food and stores were flown in as needed. Reminded me of...being in the US Navy! Go figure.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

That's a mighty fine Fuji stick you have there Squire.

Cool deal and congrats on the climb. Would love to do that one day!

Comment

Very cool. I like the Fuji stick a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                              There are social clubs that do the climb once a year. I was was with a group of people who had been doing this for 20 years and they all had photos of their sticks to prove it! An interesting tidbit of info I picked up was that at the beginning of the climbing season, the station workers climbed the mountain and then stayed up there all seaon! Food and stores were flown in as needed. Reminded me of...being in the US Navy! Go figure.
                              That's crazy, they just lived on the mountain for months. I couldn't do something like that, I frickin hate camping.
                              "now youes can't leave"
                              A Bronx Tale
                              directed by Robert De Niro.

Comment

The Fuji stick is a really cool way to remember that trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X