X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Those are beautiful. I have no clue how Thunderstorm can make a profit with the retail, production quality and limitation of their books.
    I always wonder that as well. Thunderstorm's limitations keep dropping lower with the Black Voltage titles going to 45-52 copies. The price point is usually what slows my purchases from them. I kind of wish that their print runs would go up so maybe the price point could drop a bit. A 100-150 print run would be large for a non-Brian Keene Thunderstorm book, but is so small in comparison to what CD, Subterranean, or Centipede does.

I really tapered off in my Thunderstorm purchases over the last two years, but I'm slowly working my way back in. I can't afford to be a completist as Thunderstorm publishes too much for my wallet to handle in addition to the other publishers I buy from. Right now I'm trying to decide what lines I want to jump back on. What I've always like about Thunderstorm is the uniformity in each one of their lines (okay, everything besides their Elemental line that went through so many permutations) as it speaks to what I really like as a collector.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    The second Another Ghost title is A Place for Sinners by Aaron Dries:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21937[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21938[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21939[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21940[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21941[/ATTACH]
    Those are beautiful. I have no clue how Thunderstorm can make a profit with the retail, production quality and limitation of their books.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    The second Another Ghost title is A Place for Sinners by Aaron Dries:

IMG_2457 (2).jpg
    IMG_2458 (2).jpg
    IMG_2459 (2).jpg
    IMG_2460 (2).jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Thunderstorm Books recently partnered up with Poltergeist Press for a new lettered edition imprint titled ANOTHER GHOST. I wiffle-waffled a little too long when the two first titles were announced and missed out. Luckily, Paul at Thunderstorm was able to help me out and I was able to add the two titles to my collection. Thunderstorm always puts out very nice limited editions so I knew that I would be in good hands, but was very impressed once I got them in my hands.

The first book is A Penny For Your Thoughts by Robert Ford and Matt Hayward:

IMG_2451 (2).jpg
    IMG_2452 (3).jpg
    IMG_2453 (2).jpg
    IMG_2454 (2).jpg
    IMG_2455 (3).jpg
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 02-03-2020, 10:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    PS is one of those publishers that I'm always intrigued by some of the books they publish, but very rarely pull the trigger. Gaslight, Ghosts, and Ghouls were one of those titles. I'll probably start dipping my toe into the PS waters a little more.

The PC editions were more of a coincidence. I've gone back and forth about PC editions over the past few years. On one hand, I get the mentality that it isn't a "true" lettered edition, which caused me to shy away from them at first. But there's another part of my brain that sees the book as having all the same bells and whistles except that a line reads "PC" versus "AA", which this part of my mind finds rather trivial.

I won't begrudge anybody else their opinion as both viewpoints are valid, but I'm settled that I won't pass on a good deal due to it being a PC copy. And the KPB book was a smoking deal at $41.99.

Does anybody solely collect PC copies? Maybe I'm missing a niche...
    That is a great price, I only have the limited but it is a great read.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Cool looking new books. Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    Nice adds!
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Nice adds!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Congratulations on some great additions to your collection. If you have not read 'The Number 121 to Pennsylvania and Others' there is not a bad story in that collection!
    I have not read it yet and was waiting to pick up a lettered copy to do so. Mr. Burke is one of my favorite authors ever since I read Kin (another book I'm looking for in a lettered edition).

I still kick myself for selling my copies of his books published by Thunderstorm. It was a momentary lapse of judgement, thinking that if I wasn't moving forward with collecting TSB titles at the time, then I should purge all titles. That was dumb. Very, very dumb.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Congratulations, those are attractive volumes. I do get what you mean about PS -- I'm a little unsure myself about how I feel about printed boards, but I typically forget about that reservation and really enjoy them when I hold them in hand. In fact, I'm waiting for my trade copy of Gaslight, Ghosts & Ghouls: A Centenary Celebration R. Chetwynd-Hayes. I suspect that forgetfulness is especially true when it comes to traycased, lettered editions. :-)

So between these and the KP Burke: Do you collect PC editions, or was it just a coincidence that all are PC?
    PS is one of those publishers that I'm always intrigued by some of the books they publish, but very rarely pull the trigger. Gaslight, Ghosts, and Ghouls were one of those titles. I'll probably start dipping my toe into the PS waters a little more.

The PC editions were more of a coincidence. I've gone back and forth about PC editions over the past few years. On one hand, I get the mentality that it isn't a "true" lettered edition, which caused me to shy away from them at first. But there's another part of my brain that sees the book as having all the same bells and whistles except that a line reads "PC" versus "AA", which this part of my mind finds rather trivial.

I won't begrudge anybody else their opinion as both viewpoints are valid, but I'm settled that I won't pass on a good deal due to it being a PC copy. And the KPB book was a smoking deal at $41.99.

Does anybody solely collect PC copies? Maybe I'm missing a niche...

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Congratulations on some great additions to your collection. If you have not read 'The Number 121 to Pennsylvania and Others' there is not a bad story in that collection!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Congratulations, those are attractive volumes. I do get what you mean about PS -- I'm a little unsure myself about how I feel about printed boards, but I typically forget about that reservation and really enjoy them when I hold them in hand. In fact, I'm waiting for my trade copy of Gaslight, Ghosts & Ghouls: A Centenary Celebration R. Chetwynd-Hayes. I suspect that forgetfulness is especially true when it comes to traycased, lettered editions. :-)

So between these and the KP Burke: Do you collect PC editions, or was it just a coincidence that all are PC?

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Fantastic additions! I like printed boards on less expensive editions, so I agree with you with your hesitation for having it that way for the lettered editions. But those lettered editions look sharp!

Great stuff!
    Thanks, Jeff! I think I’ll probably always equate printed boards with lower-end editions, and prefer a nice leather binding in general, but if one was to do illustrated boards this is a very nice example of how it’s done right.

And bless Mr. Crowther and team at PS for producing lettered editions of Campbell’s work, period!

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Fantastic additions! I like printed boards on less expensive editions, so I agree with you with your hesitation for having it that way for the lettered editions. But those lettered editions look sharp!

Great stuff!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Another new addition: a PC lettered of Kealan Patrick Burke's The Number 121 to Pennsylvania:

IMG_2413 (2).jpg
    IMG_2414 (2).jpg
    IMG_2415 (2).jpg
    IMG_2416 (2).jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X