Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice additions!

Comment

Beautiful pics of stunning books — congrats on all your new acquisitions...especially SNOW (which is likely my favorite Malfi) and the $20 (!!!!!!) lettered edition of ROT...as a big Brandner fan, I’m awfully jealous.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Congrats on those stunning books! Your SST collection is nearly identical to mine with a few exceptions. I have their edition of The Listener--it's incredible, probably my favorite of that book. I have the graphic novel (illustrated by Serra!!! I'm a sucker for his art as well) of I Tell You It's Love by Lansdale. And Voices of the Damned by Barbie WIlde featuring art by Barker and others. I met Wilde at a convention and got her autograph

And yeah it's awful about Poltergeist Press. I was going to sell Matt Hayward's Thunderstorm Book WHAT DO MONSTERS FEAR on eBay but before I could he was cancelled (and from what I've read, justifiably so! But I'm way too cynical to believe that the truth is something a random stranger can get in its entirely by reading chatter online).

Comment

Those Thunderstorm endpapers are always amongst the best. Nice additions!

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
            Beautiful pics of stunning books — congrats on all your new acquisitions...especially SNOW (which is likely my favorite Malfi) and the $20 (!!!!!!) lettered edition of ROT...as a big Brandner fan, I’m awfully jealous.
            I don't know what it is about CD's lettered editions that lend them to not hold their value as much as other publishers' lettered editions. The traycases are rather formulaic and standard, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing as they look nice lined up on the shelf. The leather boards are nice and the bindings are solid.

If I had a choice, I'd choose CD's Deluxe Lettered editions versus the Traycased Lettered as they have more bells and whistles on the actual books themselves. I wonder what happened to those editions as it seems that CD went back to offering the Traycased Lettereds on most recent announcements. Maybe I was in the minority in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
              Congrats on those stunning books! Your SST collection is nearly identical to mine with a few exceptions. I have their edition of The Listener--it's incredible, probably my favorite of that book. I have the graphic novel (illustrated by Serra!!! I'm a sucker for his art as well) of I Tell You It's Love by Lansdale. And Voices of the Damned by Barbie WIlde featuring art by Barker and others. I met Wilde at a convention and got her autograph

And yeah it's awful about Poltergeist Press. I was going to sell Matt Hayward's Thunderstorm Book WHAT DO MONSTERS FEAR on eBay but before I could he was cancelled (and from what I've read, justifiably so! But I'm way too cynical to believe that the truth is something a random stranger can get in its entirely by reading chatter online).
              I've eyed SST's edition of THE LISTENER for a while now. I just have a hard time pulling the trigger when I already have the CD edition. I guess I could purchase the SST edition and if I love it more than the CD edition, I could always sell my CD copy. Or I could just have both and not worry about it.

You could probably still get a good price for WHAT DO MONSTERS FEAR as I'm sure there's a Thunderstorm completist out there that's missing the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
                Those Thunderstorm endpapers are always amongst the best. Nice additions!
                It's one of the fun parts of a Thunderstorm Black Voltage title, checking out what interesting endpapers that Paul has chosen for the title. I've become more selective in the Thunderstorm titles I pick up as they aren't cheap and they publish A LOT of titles. Also, not everything they publish is my cup of tea, so if it's an author I'm not familiar with I'll check out some reviews if possible. I'd like to be able to just pick up everything and not worry about it, but the pocketbook isn't bottomless.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I don't know what it is about CD's lettered editions that lend them to not hold their value as much as other publishers' lettered editions. The traycases are rather formulaic and standard, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing as they look nice lined up on the shelf. The leather boards are nice and the bindings are solid.

If I had a choice, I'd choose CD's Deluxe Lettered editions versus the Traycased Lettered as they have more bells and whistles on the actual books themselves. I wonder what happened to those editions as it seems that CD went back to offering the Traycased Lettereds on most recent announcements. Maybe I was in the minority in my opinion.
                  Very few of CD’s books seem to hold their value on the aftermarket, most appear to sell at significant discount. Even still, $20 for a lettered is a stunning deal.

I didn’t at all care for the lettered format of the jacketless leather with the raised spine hubs and the silver gilt. If they’ve gone back to the traycased jacketed format, I think that’s a good thing…of course, I don’t buy lettereds to begin with so I’m not really their market.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I've eyed SST's edition of THE LISTENER for a while now. I just have a hard time pulling the trigger when I already have the CD edition. I guess I could purchase the SST edition and if I love it more than the CD edition, I could always sell my CD copy. Or I could just have both and not worry about it.

You could probably still get a good price for WHAT DO MONSTERS FEAR as I'm sure there's a Thunderstorm completist out there that's missing the title.
                    I have both the SST edition and the CD lettered edition of The Listener. They are fine together on the shelf (even if I do have a favorite). I think you can live with both. Especially with the price point on the SST edition.

There's a copy of WDMF on eBay for $92 from an international seller and it hasn't moved. I guess I'd have to sell mine for $91

Comment

Very few of CD’s books seem to hold their value on the aftermarket, most appear to sell at significant discount. Even still, $20 for a lettered is a stunning deal.

I didn’t at all care for the lettered format of the jacketless leather with the raised spine hubs and the silver gilt. If they’ve gone back to the traycased jacketed format, I think that’s a good thing…of course, I don’t buy lettereds to begin with so I’m not really their market.
                      See,different strokes, right? That's what makes the world fun. And I agree about getting a good deal. I'm definitely not complaining about the $20 price tag on this edition. I'll gladly add it to my collection and cherish it.

Comment

I have both the SST edition and the CD lettered edition of The Listener. They are fine together on the shelf (even if I do have a favorite). I think you can live with both. Especially with the price point on the SST edition.

There's a copy of WDMF on eBay for $92 from an international seller and it hasn't moved. I guess I'd have to sell mine for $91
                        That price tag on the SST edition is very nice AND I have one of those handy-dandy "Thank You" 15% off codes that Paul throws in. I was gonna jump on a copy of HELLRAISER: THE TOLL, but it looks like they've sold out.

As for WDMF not selling, it might have to do with the fact that it IS an international seller. I don't see a TON of movement on international sales on the US eBay site. I've actually gotten quite a few nice deals from international sellers because people have passed over them, presumably due to the international nature and possibly the shipping cost. If you list, you might be surprised. The international listing is the only one on eBay right now and there's not a copy on Abebooks either.

Comment

I think I might hold the opposite view. I love the lettered treatment of Dinner With the Cannibal Sisters, for example. I would prefer a traycase for lettered editions, but I like the raised spine hubs and jacket-less appearance. My opinion is that DJs are great for understated editions but if you're using premium materials then I want to see them (that's right, through the tray case!! LOL). Though I can be convinced otherwise since I love both the boards and the dust jackets on the Falling Angel set!

Comment

That price tag on the SST edition is very nice AND I have one of those handy-dandy "Thank You" 15% off codes that Paul throws in. I was gonna jump on a copy of HELLRAISER: THE TOLL, but it looks like they've sold out.

As for WDMF not selling, it might have to do with the fact that it IS an international seller. I don't see a TON of movement on international sales on the US eBay site. I've actually gotten quite a few nice deals from international sellers because people have passed over them, presumably due to the international nature and possibly the shipping cost. If you list, you might be surprised. The international listing is the only one on eBay right now and there's not a copy on Abebooks either.
                            I think you dodged a bullet on The Toll. If that book is anything like Scarlet Gospels, then it diminishes the Hellraiser mythology. I'm glad it sold out for Paul, though.

Comment

I think you dodged a bullet on The Toll. If that book is anything like Scarlet Gospels, then it diminishes the Hellraiser mythology. I'm glad it sold out for Paul, though.
                              I haven't read THE SCARLET GOSPELS but I have a feeling that something went decidedly wrong with that book. There were comments made that it was supposed to be this massive epic, but the current page count doesn't reflect that. I did have a copy at one time that I purchased through CD, but when it arrived there was a significant binding defect and since it was another publisher's book, they didn't have a replacement so I just got the refund. It was beautiful production by Earthling, though.

Comment

I haven't read THE SCARLET GOSPELS but I have a feeling that something went decidedly wrong with that book. There were comments made that it was supposed to be this massive epic, but the current page count doesn't reflect that. I did have a copy at one time that I purchased through CD, but when it arrived there was a significant binding defect and since it was another publisher's book, they didn't have a replacement so I just got the refund. It was beautiful production by Earthling, though.
                                OMG, Paul Miller knocked it OUT OF THE PARK on that book. From the DJ art to that slipcase--just gorgeous. It killed me to not buy one. A Barker book featuring the Hell Priest and Harry D'amour and brought to life in a wonderful edition and I can only scream NO?! That's torture right there. But after reading the trade edition, I was left broken hearted and betrayed. I know, "easy on the drama, there FIRST-WORLD BOY!" But it was supposed to be epic. It was supposed to be definitive. It was supposed to reclaim the mythology from the movies (and yes I know those movies spawned from Barker himself). It was supposed to quake the Earth and declare that Barker is back and he brought the hellfire with him! It was a PG version of some high schooler's Hellraiser fan fiction.

Rant over.

Comment

Working...
                                X