Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe315
    replied
    The only part of the language issue that bothers me is that some will complain that things aren't in their language and expect businesses and other places to provide materials in alternate languages. Don't get me wrong, I think it is great when I go to a place in another country and they have material in English but in no way do I feel that the business is obligated to provide this material. And I know its not easy to learn a second language for some (like me, I took 4 years of spanish and can barely speak it) but to not make an effort is irritating.

Now back to Daves books.

Leave a comment:

• Teriw
    replied
    The ones that come here get mad at us for not speaking their language even though they can't speak ours and theyre in our country. Thats the one that pisses me off. And they take the jobs we don't have to begin with which is not part of the rudeness it just pisses me off. A guy mason knows came here, worked for 3 years and left with a canada pension at about 30 years old. How does that make sense? I have lived here my whole life, can work for the next 40 years and still wouldn't be able to get a cp until I am 60. This guy can go back home, not even live in canada and get a pension that makes him rich in his own country.

Leave a comment:

• Joe315
    replied
    I find that the foreigners that come here (America) to make a living are very nice. Granted their culture can clash with ours given the differences in what is considered "acceptable behavior" but there is a learning curve you have to give them. Just like we would need if we were to move to another country.

Leave a comment:

• Teriw
    replied
    well you do actually for the most part. You guys get more mexicans, I don't think I have even seen a mexican in person before. lol. We get egyptians, french, phillipinos, and well americans for the most part. The first 3 of which can be highly rude and the latter depends on the person which more often than not are very rude, no offence. You guys are great.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Teriw View Post
    I find foreigners extremely rude.
    Maybe we have different foreigners than you do... lol.

Leave a comment:

• Teriw
    replied
    I find foreigners extremely rude.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Well maybe the shooting each other part(depending on where you live) but I wouldnt call the foreigners and medical bills and exaggeration.
    Medical bills maybe not, though I've never had an issue there. I'm not really sure what you mean about the foreigners nor am I really sure how that's a problem / downside to living someplace.

Leave a comment:

• Teriw
    replied
    Well maybe the shooting each other part(depending on where you live) but I wouldnt call the foreigners and medical bills and exaggeration.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    I would never want to live in the states personally. I never want to move out of Canada but if I did the states would be one of the last places I'd go. Basically its Canada only less awesome cuz people shoot each other for no reason and theres twice as many foreiners. not to mention i'd already be in debt with medical bills at this point.
    That's probably a bit of an over dramatization... lol.

Leave a comment:

• Teriw
    replied
    I would never want to live in the states personally. I never want to move out of Canada but if I did the states would be one of the last places I'd go. Basically its Canada only less awesome cuz people shoot each other for no reason and theres twice as many foreiners. not to mention i'd already be in debt with medical bills at this point.

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    A bit off topic, but there are so many locations in the USA I could easily live: San Francisco,San Diego, Washington State (anywhere...preferably Seattle), somewhere along the Oregon coastline - or better yet, the Californian one, the list is too long to mention here.

sk

Leave a comment:

• TerryE
    replied
    Sounds just the opposite of our road trip out west when I was a kid. On the way home (in early April) we left Vegas in the morning in shorts & t-shirts, and when we stopped for the night in Utah, it was freezing.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by frik51 View Post
    Haha, I wish...
    I've often thought of where I'd want to live in the US.
    I think my first choice would be San Francisco.

sk
    A quote (wrongly) attributed to Mark Twain: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

I remember driving from Lake Tahoe to San Francisco one morning. It was beautiful in Tahoe, but when we stepped out of the car in SF we were freezing! Shorts, T-shirts, and it was maybe 60F at 11am. Brr!

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by TerryE View Post
    Nice new collection thread here Dave. Wow!, and I thought my shelves were full.
    Thanks, Terry! I had over 80 boxes of books at one point, and then I bought 28 bookcases for $5 each at a liquidation sale. At least I can see more of them now.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The guy that did the photography for the Nightmares in the Sky (text by Stephen King).

Here's a link that might be of interest

http://www.harpercollins.com.au/auth...ald/index.aspx

Leave a comment:

Working...
X