No announcement yet.

Collector or Reader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, being a King completist would require a large sum of money, and probably a helluva network too.

Comment

I can see doing something kooky like that for one book, maybe. But not every permutaiton of King's books.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
        I can see doing something kooky like that for one book, maybe. But not every permutaiton of King's books.
        It might be doable for one book but if you had to deal with getting the ARC for all of those too, sheesh!

Comment

I'm definitely more of reader. Most of my collection is paperbacks followed by a good portion of hardcovers, but I only really started to collect signed and limited editions in the last year or so. Normally I won't read a limited number/lettered edition, but will buy a paperback copy to read. I got a couple of signed Jack Ketchum paperbacks today, and I'll be reading them.
          Last edited by Theli; 04-17-2013, 06:48 AM.

Comment

I'm very much both. I didn't know about Cemetery Dance until word got out of their special 25th anniversary edition of It, and even then I didn't pay serious attention until late last year, so most of my collected books are from other publishers, and from genres other than horror (I even have quite a few non fiction). If it's a book I'm especially interested in and if I can get it signed or there's a version of it made for collectors, I'd like to have the signed or collector's version to collect and another maybe / maybe not collector's edition to read. As it is I have very few collector's editions of books and/or signed books at the moment, at least compared to others here, though now that I've discovered Cemetery Dance, that number will go up a little as 2013 goes by and some of the books I have pre-ordered get finished.

A number of the books I have pre-ordered with Cemetery Dance seem impressive to me but haven't sold out yet. Makes me wonder if my tastes are the same as others here. When I was earning my masters degree in Library and Information Studies, I had to draw up what I considered a comprehensive collection of books of a subject of my choice for a class I took on collection development. I chose zombies and their use in philosophy and in social commentary. You might see some zombie-related books when enough of my pre-orders come in for me to feel comfortable adding my collection to the others posted in this forum.
            Last edited by Marloo; 04-17-2013, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I have something like 25 different editions of Robert McCammon's Boy's Life, which is almost every edition ever released. My family thinks I'm nuts. :-)

Hunter

Comment

Marloo, I think you will find a pretty broad range in taste in books around these parts. I look forward to one day seeing your collection thread.
                Originally posted by Marloo View Post
                I'm very much both. I didn't know about Cemetery Dance until word got out of their special 25th anniversary edition of It, and even then I didn't pay serious attention until late last year, so most of my collected books are from other publishers, and from genres other than horror (I even have quite a few non fiction). If it's a book I'm especially interested in and if I can get it signed or there's a version of it made for collectors, I'd like to have the signed or collector's version to collect and another maybe / maybe not collector's edition to read. As it is I have very few collector's editions of books and/or signed books at the moment, at least compared to others here, though now that I've discovered Cemetery Dance, that number will go up a little as 2013 goes by and some of the books I have pre-ordered get finished.

A number of the books I have pre-ordered with Cemetery Dance seem impressive to me but haven't sold out yet. Makes me wonder if my tastes are the same as others here. When I was earning my masters degree in Library and Information Studies, I had to draw up what I considered a comprehensive collection of books of a subject of my choice for a class I took on collection development. I chose zombies and their use in philosophy and in social commentary. You might see some zombie-related books when enough of my pre-orders come in for me to feel comfortable adding my collection to the others posted in this forum.

Comment

I have always been more of a reader but I would like to become a collector as well. In this day and age of the internet I assume it has become easier to be a collector in any field.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanic remnant View Post
                    I have always been more of a reader but I would like to become a collector as well. In this day and age of the internet I assume it has become easier to be a collector in any field.
                    Easier in that you can more easily track stuff down. Harder because most people now check Alibris/Abebooks/ebay to see what prices are before selling. The last freebie I found was a first edition of The Stand in ok condition. It was on the books-by-the-yard shelves at a funeral home.

Comment

I guess it's easier to be a collector, but not cheaper.

Comment

Definitely not cheaper

Comment

I don't have the money available to start a "collection", plus I enjoy reading. I had collected other items in the past. For example, when I was a kid, and up until the early '90s I put together (what is now at least) a very valuable collection of hockey cards, and I also started a small F1 model car collection of my favourite driver - which I may be selling in the very near future. Again though.... if I had more available "free" cash, I would have many different types of collections for sure.

As for books..... I am reader first....by far. I do have some signed stuff that I recently got. I want to set it aside, so it doesn't get damaged, worn, etc., but I want to read it. I would never crack the spine on a pb, or dogear the corner as a bookmark. My wife likes doing that, but she doesn't read the same stuff I do for the most part.

Comment

[QUOTE=TJCams;51082F1 model car collection of my favourite driver[/QUOTE] Schumacher?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                              Schumacher?
                              LOL - Wow - nope. You'll understand my reaction to that in a second....... Jacques Villeneuve

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                                LOL - Wow - nope. You'll understand my reaction to that in a second....... Jacques Villeneuve

Lol, I see. I can't wait fir Rush to come out, and Senna was a great documentary. I started watching F1 back in the mid-'70s, and it's still the only race series I watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X