No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree its incredible to see what lengths some go to collecting. Seeing King fans splash thousands as if its loose change just baffles me. Must be a group of power ball winners out there that happen to like books. Evidently none of these people have children. Between my children, my mortgage, and life's ordinary expenses, there isn't much left and what is left I put into my library. I'm guilty of being envious, no need to lie about it. If there is anything I really detest it is seeing collectors go for multiple copies of the exact same book, to me you are not a collector you are a hoarder and maybe even a scalper.

Comment

Originally posted by Highbury View Post
      If there is anything I really detest it is seeing collectors go for multiple copies of the exact same book, to me you are not a collector you are a hoarder and maybe even a scalper.
      I don't get it either. I had two copies of Centipede's 'Salem's Lot so sold one at a fair price (I think the buyer thought it was fair) because I didn't think I needed two copies of something that should be enjoyed by those who want one, too.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
        I don't get it either. I had two copies of Centipede's 'Salem's Lot so sold one at a fair price (I think the buyer thought it was fair) because I didn't think I needed two copies of something that should be enjoyed by those who want one, too.
        Most collectors don't go for multiple copies, unless there is something different about them, like a Remarque or something like that. It's usually resellers or people that purchase the books as a investment that go for multiple copies.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          ...or people that purchase the books as a investment that go for multiple copies.
          Highbury, would this be what you mean as a scalper? I saw that many people bought multiple copies of Joyland and then sold them for a handsome markup.

Comment

Originally posted by Highbury View Post
            I agree its incredible to see what lengths some go to collecting. Seeing King fans splash thousands as if its loose change just baffles me. Must be a group of power ball winners out there that happen to like books. Evidently none of these people have children. Between my children, my mortgage, and life's ordinary expenses, there isn't much left and what is left I put into my library. I'm guilty of being envious, no need to lie about it. If there is anything I really detest it is seeing collectors go for multiple copies of the exact same book, to me you are not a collector you are a hoarder and maybe even a scalper.
            Totally agree with that statement. It really is not much different than the people who buy 10 tickets to a concert/sporting event/whatever - use 2 of them, sell the rest for stupid profit. It is more like an investment for future profit. For me, I collected hockey card back before the market got flooded, and even the McFarlane collectible figurines (mostly hockey again). In the McFarlane example, they issue a limited release of each one, and there is an even smaller release of a "special" version (may have different jersey for example). You should see the guys that wait for whatever store to open, and pretty much run to the area to get all the "special" issue ones, just to sit on them and re-sell.

As Highbury said: I am married with a teenage daughter, two cars, mortgage, bills. There are weeks where we are barely getting by. That is why it baffles me how someone is able to drop so much on certain collectibles. Heck, if I had $2500 fall into my hands and the choice came down to a collectible of whatever, or bills, mortgage, loans, etc - the choice is easy (at least for me).

Sorry, for de-railing this thread!
            Last edited by TJCams; 07-25-2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Bought me the CD Mixed grab bag. Not really worried about extras as the only CD lettered edition I own is Hell Hollow.

Comment

I picked up one of the Mixed Grab Bags as well. $79 for just a lettered edition alone is a fair price, but when you throw in everything else, its a steal. I can't believe that they haven't sold out yet.

Comment

I would've bought one, but Centipede Press is releasing a couple of Gresham titles I've really been waiting for this weekend.
                  MDH

Comment

I am going to wait on this - again, saving for something special.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                      I am going to wait on this - again, saving for something special.
                      I'm with you on this. I have so many books on preorder, I have to draw the line somewhere. Even though it was tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty23 View Post
                        I'm with you on this. I have so many books on preorder, I have to draw the line somewhere. Even though it was tempting.
                        Pre-orders and unread books (both paper and Kobo) were an influence in this decision too for me.

Comment

I actually have a new purchase! HAHAHHA!!!!!HPIM1440.jpg
                          October Dark by David Herter part of Earthling Publications Halloween Series. Camelot Books has the whole set if anyone is interested.
                          MDH

Comment

Nice. I love your excitement!

Comment

Originally posted by Neiaushie79 View Post
                              Nice. I love your excitement!
                              Thanks! I do have a good time here.
                              MDH

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                                That's crazy - I don't think I would spend that kind of cash (whether or not I had it) on something. With all due respect to those who collect whatever it is they collect, but for me I just couldn't justify it. I seriously couldn't think of anything off the top of my head that I would spend that kind of money on as a collectible/showcase type of item.
                                TJ, some of us are blessed by being able to buy what we enjoy. I can afford certain more expensive items, but there are many things out there that I just don't feel that I can afford. Everyone's situation is different.

John

Comment

Working...
                                X