Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Very cool, I've looked at the KONG title more than once on those PS newsletters...as you say, looks very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    New Kong title from PS Publishing, The Screenplay. Very interesting, lots of history.
    Kong!2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I recently received the first three titles in Thunderstorm Books's new line entitled Screaming Cacti. This new lettered line encompasses both Deluxe traycased/clamshell editions (like the forthcoming Fracassi lettered) and these partial cloth/ partial leatherbound editions, which will have a slipcase for every four volumes of titles (though I'm kinda hoping that Paul will change his mind and do a traycase instead). I know that there are some diehard dustjacket fans on the forum and I love a dustjacket as well, but there is something about a well-designed non-jacketed book that can get me pretty excited and Thunderstorm has done some very nice non-jacketed books in the past. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this line, but I really dig the design and the yellow really pops next to the dark leather. Future volumes are going to be bound in different colors of cloth, which I think is a nice way to keep the books looking fresh while still feeling like a cohesive set. Overall, I really like the books.
    Thanks for posting these picks! I was really wondering what these would end up looking like. As you mention, I am definitely one of those diehard dustjacket fans; however, at the price-point Paul is selling this Screaming Cacti line at, I'm sorely tempted to at least pick up an individual title here and there, especially those OOP titles that Paul is bringing back and that I'd probably never get to own otherwise as the previous versions either never make it to the aftermarket or are ungodly expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I recently received the first three titles in Thunderstorm Books's new line entitled Screaming Cacti. This new lettered line encompasses both Deluxe traycased/clamshell editions (like the forthcoming Fracassi lettered) and these partial cloth/ partial leatherbound editions, which will have a slipcase for every four volumes of titles (though I'm kinda hoping that Paul will change his mind and do a traycase instead). I know that there are some diehard dustjacket fans on the forum and I love a dustjacket as well, but there is something about a well-designed non-jacketed book that can get me pretty excited and Thunderstorm has done some very nice non-jacketed books in the past. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this line, but I really dig the design and the yellow really pops next to the dark leather. Future volumes are going to be bound in different colors of cloth, which I think is a nice way to keep the books looking fresh while still feeling like a cohesive set. Overall, I really like the books.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Holy smokes, Mike, that's incredible...that's a set of books I've always regretted passing on, and that gorgeous poster just takes that regret to the next level! I'll never pull the trigger on the Thunderstorm S/L HCs at this point, but that beautiful stack of tpbs makes me rethink my prior reluctance and wonder if that's a great way to remedy that error in judgement and spend what would seem to be just a couple hundred bucks for the entire set.
      The Paperbacks are great and reasonably priced.  You can find some of them on ABE for as little as $10.00.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I was a little surprised there wasn't a slipcase, but none of their other Weir books had one, so it was consistent.  But as SubPress slow inches closer and closer to $200 for their books, I'd like to see something more.  Of course though, then it would be a $250 book and I would have a much harder time justifying that purchase.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Wow, looks great! Really love those end papers. Do wish that SubPress would include some interior art or a slipcase when their titles approach the $200 mark, but otherwise, this is a fantastic pick-up! Hope to find one for myself on the aftermarket at some point.
    Yeah, those endpapers are nice, but given that the image is used as both the front and rear endpapers, it <SPOILER> gives away quite a bit before the story begins.

And I’m hardpressed to disagree about the price/benefit ratio this time around. A simpler presentation was okay with ARTEMIS, but it was half the cost of HAIL PROJECT MARY. At nearly $200, there’s a greater expectation that, other than two-color used throughout, wasn’t really realized this time around. I’m pleased to have it, but it’s a little underwhelming when, for example, compared to similarly-priced titles from Suntup or Centipede.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

If you'd like to see a few pics, Sub Press' PROJECT HAIL MARY was my Daily Showcase Book today:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...540950016?s=20
    Wow, looks great! Really love those end papers. Do wish that SubPress would include some interior art or a slipcase when their titles approach the $200 mark, but otherwise, this is a fantastic pick-up! Hope to find one for myself on the aftermarket at some point.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Super jealous! Project Hail Mary sold-out before I could snag a copy. Am hoping I can find a copy on the secondary market at some point.
    If you'd like to see a few pics, Sub Press' PROJECT HAIL MARY was my Daily Showcase Book today:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...540950016?s=20

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Hail Mary from SubPress arrived today (just about a year after my pre-order.) Or maybe it got here on Saturday? Today was the latest Suntup Hannibal book from Camelot. Too many books!
    Super jealous! Project Hail Mary sold-out before I could snag a copy. Am hoping I can find a copy on the secondary market at some point.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Hail Mary from SubPress arrived today (just about a year after my pre-order.)  Or maybe it got here on Saturday?  Today was the latest Suntup Hannibal book from Camelot.  Too many books!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I'm with Ron, that poster is stinking awesome!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    Poster2.jpg
    Wile E. Young gave me this sweet Poster. I popped into a $5.00 Goodwill frame today, it will get star treatment later on. One of the coolest things I brought home fro Scares That Cares.
    Holy smokes, Mike, that's incredible...that's a set of books I've always regretted passing on, and that gorgeous poster just takes that regret to the next level! I'll never pull the trigger on the Thunderstorm S/L HCs at this point, but that beautiful stack of tpbs makes me rethink my prior reluctance and wonder if that's a great way to remedy that error in judgement and spend what would seem to be just a couple hundred bucks for the entire set.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

LOVE LOVE bookstores that look like that.
    Follow up on the Cactus Wren https://z1077fm.com/cactus-wren-book...-yucca-valley/

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Poster2.jpg
    Wile E. Young gave me this sweet Poster. I popped into a $5.00 Goodwill frame today, it will get star treatment later on. One of the coolest things I brought home fro Scares That Cares.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X