X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by mulleins View Post

Great job. Do you know if Uhaul allows their cargo van to go out of State? Asking for a friend. Hahahahahaha
    Â
    Heyyyy!

Leave a comment:

• mulleins
    replied
    Originally posted by Sherlock Joe's View Post
    A few months ago, I was able to get my hands on all five issues of "Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine" that first ran SK's "The Gunslinger". Got 'em at what I felt was a good price and in good condition, not to mention that none of them had mailing labels on them ...

I put them each in protective bags, but had been thinking for a while about getting a slipcase for them. Found a place called Everything Called Books (https://everythingaboutbooks.com/) and, I gotta say, I'm very pleased with their results.

Had a lengthy back-and-forth email conversation with Patrick there and he always responded quickly. I found an AI-generated image and made it a silhouette, provided it to him, and he created the one-off slipcase very quickly. It was packaged so well I thought I should have done an "unboxing video" for Youtube; probably the best packing I have ever gotten from ordering online.

If you're looking for a one-off special slipcase at a good price, give Patrick a buzz at that site.

P.S. The extra space at the top is my fault actually. When I measured, I was measuring the books in their protective bags and not thinking that I'd take the books out of them to put in the slipcase.

I tried putting the bagged books in the slipcase, but didn't like how it looked.
    Nice case.  A little black square of foam at the top or bottom and you won't even know the gap is there.  
    Great job on the design.

Leave a comment:

• Sherlock Joe's
    replied
    A few months ago, I was able to get my hands on all five issues of "Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine" that first ran SK's "The Gunslinger". Got 'em at what I felt was a good price and in good condition, not to mention that none of them had mailing labels on them ...

I put them each in protective bags, but had been thinking for a while about getting a slipcase for them. Found a place called Everything Called Books (https://everythingaboutbooks.com/) and, I gotta say, I'm very pleased with their results.

Had a lengthy back-and-forth email conversation with Patrick there and he always responded quickly. I found an AI-generated image and made it a silhouette, provided it to him, and he created the one-off slipcase very quickly. It was packaged so well I thought I should have done an "unboxing video" for Youtube; probably the best packing I have ever gotten from ordering online.

If you're looking for a one-off special slipcase at a good price, give Patrick a buzz at that site.

P.S. The extra space at the top is my fault actually. When I measured, I was measuring the books in their protective bags and not thinking that I'd take the books out of them to put in the slipcase.

I tried putting the bagged books in the slipcase, but didn't like how it looked.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sherlock Joe's; 05-29-2023, 01:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mulleins
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    All 85 boxes are now safely in storage. And I'm EXHAUSTED.

Also, if you need to know, you can probably fit 100 of these boxes in the a cargo van from Uhaul.

20230527_174137954_iOS.jpg
    Great job.  Do you know if Uhaul allows their cargo van to go out of State?  Asking for a friend.  Hahahahahaha

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    All 85 boxes are now safely in storage. And I'm EXHAUSTED.

Also, if you need to know, you can probably fit 100 of these boxes in the a cargo van from Uhaul.

20230527_174137954_iOS.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied

I only have one dolly so it's four boxes from apartment to truck at a time. I plan on renting a moving truck to take everything off site at once, but still only move four at a time.

Bring your truck and a dolly and I can save on the truck rental.
    Oh, I see. No way around that pain. Even with an extra dolly.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I'm sure I have a few hundred books that I could get rid of the physical versions and just stick with the Kindle version, but I don't want to rebuy the Kindle ones (not like you can buy them on the secondary market). Plus browsing through a Kindle is PAINFUL. It's not as easy as just browsing a shelf.

Hopefully we get a house with sufficient space for all of the shelving we need. I'm hoping for an unfinished basement that I can convert into a small theater room, and a dedicated library with "custom" (aka simple) built-ins.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Ha! Four at a time would be painful. We could probably knock that down to 4 or less trips with my pickup.
    I only have one dolly so it's four boxes from apartment to truck at a time. I plan on renting a moving truck to take everything off site at once, but still only move four at a time.

Bring your truck and a dolly and I can save on the truck rental.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Not really a purchase, but literally all of my purchases . . .

As some of you know, my wife and I are looking into buying a house this year (or early next year). Soon. As part of this overwhelming process, my mother in law in moving in with us. She's selling her house in Washington, and will use a huge chunk of the proceeds to help with a downpayment. Our second bedroom was being used as our library, and since she's moving in, said library has to be dismantled. So I've spent the last week and a half boxing up all of our books.

And I just finished. Well, finished with the exceptions of the books my wife is leaving out, random books of hers found intermingled with my overflow on top of the shelves, and all of my comic trades.

I packed the 85th box of books tonight. Eight Five boxes of books.

Yes, there is a significant part of my brain that's screaming KINDLE KINDLE KINDLE at me, but dammit, I just love these books so much.

Well, until I need to move said 85 boxes to an offsite storage unit four at a time.

Anyone looking for a fun weekend project in Colorado? Hit me up - have I got the opportunity for you. Brian861 is close by - I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming over.
    Ha! Four at a time would be painful. We could probably knock that down to 4 or less trips with my pickup.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied

Yes, there is a significant part of my brain that's screaming KINDLE KINDLE KINDLE at me, but dammit, I just love these books so much.
    I hear you! I had 84 boxes of books when we moved into our house in 2001. I have no idea how many boxes it would take now, 22 years later

I got rid of around 400 books recently (donated them to the library book sale), but I have to start selling/donating more of them. We're not planning to move for another nine years or so, but I'm trying to declutter now, while it's not urgent.

My kindle TBR list is down to 475 books. Except for ebooks, I'd probably have been on one of those hoarder TV shows by now.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

As some of you know, my wife and I are looking into buying a house this year (or early next year). Soon. As part of this overwhelming process, my mother in law in moving in with us. She's selling her house in Washington, and will use a huge chunk of the proceeds to help with a downpayment. Our second bedroom was being used as our library, and since she's moving in, said library has to be dismantled. So I've spent the last week and a half boxing up all of our books.

And I just finished. Well, finished with the exceptions of the books my wife is leaving out, random books of hers found intermingled with my overflow on top of the shelves, and all of my comic trades.

Well, until I need to move said 85 boxes to an offsite storage unit four at a time.

Anyone looking for a fun weekend project in Colorado? Hit me up - have I got the opportunity for you. Brian861 is close by - I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming over.
    And that is exactly why I've been selling books for the last year or so and continue to do so...anywhere from 50 to 100 listings at any one time. At the height I had nearly 4000 books, and my wife and I are looking at a move sometime within the next few years...the last thing I want is to try and move that kind of book poundage. It kills me to sell (at the same time I'm still buying), but there really isn't any other rational choice. I haven't made much of a dent, even with presumably several hundred books sold off...the real pain has yet to come.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Amazon had it listed as out-of-stock for weeks, so I gave up and ordered a copy from Camelot. $55.00 after the shipping, but it was worth it.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post

Yeah, and that sucker went fast.

Seems to be out of stock every place you look.

Oh well, may need to just bite the bullet and pay the $70 plus dollars it seems to be going for on the secondary market,

B
    Well I take that back.

Just ordered a copy on Amazon for $34!

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    New Kong title from PS Publishing, The Screenplay. Very interesting, lots of history.
    Kong!2.jpg
    Yeah, and that sucker went fast.

Seems to be out of stock every place you look.

Oh well, may need to just bite the bullet and pay the $70 plus dollars it seems to be going for on the secondary market,

B

Leave a comment:

Working...
X