Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    These shelves don't even stand a chance - they are going to get FILLED up so fast!

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    TacomaDiver  Now that's a house! Those built-ins are really nice. They'll look even better once they're filled with books

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Holy shit guys - I did it.

I bought a house. A HOUSE!

We closed yesterday (I piloted the first 100% digital mortgage with my credit union too) and got the keys. IT HAPPENED!

Here are some pictures - let me tell you - this place has an ABSURD amount of storage, and some of the most beautiful built-ins I've seen in a house.
    94f396219f3bc83cb2f3430d75ed9f8e-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

989626_2_0.jpg
    989626_7_0.jpg
    There are more built-ins down the hallway with the bedrooms. There's also a 75% finished basement with more bookshelves (not built-ins but the previous owner did a HELL OF A JOB mounting a bunch of book shelves.

This house checked every box we had and then some.

So yeah - this finally happened.
    Congratulations! Those bookcases look beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Holy shit guys - I did it.

I bought a house. A HOUSE!

We closed yesterday (I piloted the first 100% digital mortgage with my credit union too) and got the keys. IT HAPPENED!

Here are some pictures - let me tell you - this place has an ABSURD amount of storage, and some of the most beautiful built-ins I've seen in a house.
    94f396219f3bc83cb2f3430d75ed9f8e-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

989626_2_0.jpg
    989626_7_0.jpg
    There are more built-ins down the hallway with the bedrooms. There's also a 75% finished basement with more bookshelves (not built-ins but the previous owner did a HELL OF A JOB mounting a bunch of book shelves.

This house checked every box we had and then some.

So yeah - this finally happened.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    That's exactly what I ended up doing - going some Goo Gone and got those pesky stickers off.

Leave a comment:

• Sherlock Joe's
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Our book shopping yesterday started out visiting an ARC (which is like a Goodwill) and we got a GIANT stack of really nice books for about $22 (although the damn sticker residue will not come off - they use some industrial grade stickers it seems).
    If you (or anyone) is looking for a good way to get sticker residue off, try Goo Gone sprayed on the end of a Q-tip. You can spread it on with a light or heavy hand, let it sit for a few seconds, then use a plastic scraper to work the residue off.

If you don't get all the residue off the first time, just flip the Q-tip around and repeat. A regular-sized bottle of Goo Gone will go a LONNNGGG way if you're only using it for this.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Fun stuff, Mike. We have something similar called OddMall: Emporium of the Weird that hits our area a couple times a year. There's usually one a month or so before Christmas...looking forward to that one if schedules allow.
    Ron, there is one scheduled for Seattle Oct 14-15 and one for Portland oct 21-22..Side note, I will touch base with you the first week of September, we'll be in Seattle visiting our son and daughter for a week.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Fun stuff, Mike. We have something similar called OddMall: Emporium of the Weird that hits our area a couple times a year. There's usually one a month or so before Christmas...looking forward to that one if schedules allow.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Hi Guys!
    Went to the Richmond edition of Oddities and Curiosities and had a great time. Picked up a few things, no weird taxidermy or dolls HAHA!! I did grab two neat Halloween Shadowboxes for my bookshelves. Lot of Fun, I would recommend it, the people watching was fantastical. No good books though.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    IDW was having a 30% off sale to celebrate their new website (any reason for a sale I guess) and I grabbed a few of their GIANT Artist Edition comics.

One of the sets I got was Walter Simonson's artist portfolio of the work he did adapting King's Lawnmower Man.

From the description, it said it was published back in a rare magazine from Marvel in 1981.

I was going to post some pictures, but this website has a much better set - https://aeindex.org/reviews/walter-s...ion-portfolio/

IDW also makes a similar edition for Joe Hill's Locke and Key series. The local comics store we go to has a couple of them still - I think I'll have to go and grab a set after seeing this one.

And for those that are curious - the other Artist's Editions I grabbed were:

Jeff Smith’s Bone: The Great Cow Race - https://aeindex.org/reviews/jeff-smi...tists-edition/

Jim Lee's X-Men - https://aeindex.org/reviews/jim-lees...tists-edition/

Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man - https://aeindex.org/reviews/todd-mcf...tists-edition/

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    Great finding old friends in the wild!
    It sure it!

This used book store (which we visit a few times a year) had some good stuff this time.

I also picked up a really nice edition of Harlan Ellison's Approaching Oblivion (orange boards which I believe is the non-book club edition) and they did have a really nice 1st of Legion signed but I couldn't afford the $300 (well, my credit card could but noooooo) they were asking.

Our book shopping yesterday started out visiting an ARC (which is like a Goodwill) and we got a GIANT stack of really nice books for about $22 (although the damn sticker residue will not come off - they use some industrial grade stickers it seems). Then The Bookworm (where I got my Tick book and the Ellison book) - spent about $70 on a smaller stack. Then the comic book store where we spent about $100 on a MUCH smaller stack. Good thing we didn't make another stop.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Great finding old friends in the wild!

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I don't think I'd call it a grail, but I stumbled upon a comic collection that I got rid of ages ago. I still don't know why I got rid of it, or even when (entirely possible someone borrowed it and I never got it back - I know that my copy was passed around quite a bit within my friends group.)

The best part - besides being in GREAT shape considering the age and the quality of the publication, it's the first printing first edition of the collection - the exact one I had in high school.

SPOOOOOOOOON!
    20230618_032321910_iOS.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Sherlock Joe's View Post
    A few months ago, I was able to get my hands on all five issues of "Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine" that first ran SK's "The Gunslinger". Got 'em at what I felt was a good price and in good condition, not to mention that none of them had mailing labels on them ...

I put them each in protective bags, but had been thinking for a while about getting a slipcase for them. Found a place called Everything Called Books (https://everythingaboutbooks.com/) and, I gotta say, I'm very pleased with their results.

Had a lengthy back-and-forth email conversation with Patrick there and he always responded quickly. I found an AI-generated image and made it a silhouette, provided it to him, and he created the one-off slipcase very quickly. It was packaged so well I thought I should have done an "unboxing video" for Youtube; probably the best packing I have ever gotten from ordering online.

If you're looking for a one-off special slipcase at a good price, give Patrick a buzz at that site.

P.S. The extra space at the top is my fault actually. When I measured, I was measuring the books in their protective bags and not thinking that I'd take the books out of them to put in the slipcase.

I tried putting the bagged books in the slipcase, but didn't like how it looked.
    Nice slipcase!

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    The slipcase looks great Sherlock Joe's .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X