No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My latest editions, not horror related, but still, they're books.

IMG_2942.jpg

Comment

Nice, been tempted to pick up The Alchemist before, never done it though. Never seen the graphic novel of it though.

Decided to wait on picking up that copy of The Gunslinger for now, will probably look elsewhere for it and get it cheaper instead
      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
      Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
        Nice, been tempted to pick up The Alchemist before, never done it though. Never seen the graphic novel of it though.

Decided to wait on picking up that copy of The Gunslinger for now, will probably look elsewhere for it and get it cheaper instead
        I haven't read it before either. And this was the first time I saw the graphic novel for it as well. Since it was the last copy i decided the time had come to finally check it out.

IMG_2948.jpg

Comment

I really want to read The Beach, the film is one of my favourites

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
            Definitely pick up the book. I thought the movie was a bit of a let down after reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
              The movie compared to the book is crap in my opinion. I felt that the book was sooooo much better. But thats just my opinion. Give it a read and see for yourself.

Comment

Got these the other day:

SPoW 001.jpg

This is Moorcock's Pyat Quartet. It details the remininsces of a most unreliable narrator through the major events of Europe in the first half of the 2oth century. It's supposed to be one of the best things he's written, but I'll make up my own mind.
                Last edited by srboone; 06-30-2011, 09:19 PM.
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Epic last name.

Sorry, but it had to be said.

Comment

Didn't get your last post at first, pete.
                    Think I do now.....

sk

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                      Epic last name.

Sorry, but it had to be said.
                      Epic last name, epic lifetime of epic works. He was part of a group of SF/dark fantasy writers who brought speculative fiction into the forefront in the 60s and 70s, influencing 4 decades of witers.

Today, China Mieville writes what is called "New Wierd" ficition, but in the 60s and 70s it was called New Wave. For me, there's nothing new or wierd about what he writes.

From Moorcock's works you can recognize the beginnings of The Dark Tower series; don't know if King claims Moorcock as an influence or not.
                      Last edited by srboone; 06-30-2011, 09:51 PM.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                        From Moorcock's works you can recognize the beginnings of The Dark Tower series; don't know if King claims Moorcock as an influence or not.
                        Sounds interesting! Gotta check him out then.

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                          Sounds interesting! Gotta check him out then.
                          Moorcock literally has 100+ books to his credit. His fantasy books average about 200 pages per. If you're interested in pursuing this, the best series to get a feeling for how Moorcock might have influenced the DT series is the original 6-book Elric series. Moorcock has written twice that number of Elric's further adventures since then, but these six give a good base for the various themes he explores.

Elric of Melnibone
                          The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
                          The Weird of the White Wolf
                          The Vanishing Tower
                          The Bane of the Black Sword
                          Stormbringer

The omnibus Elric volumes contain all the Elric stories, but these six are a good place to start. But be warned, if you decide to read more of Moorcock's works, they are maddeningly hard to find--i spent years scouring back-alley bookstores for old Daw paperbacks (pre-internet).
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Got these yesterday:

Fiona and Grams, by Gene O'Neill
                            Revenge Flick! by James Newman (second copy; dropped the first in the toilet after getting up from a shit, haha!)
                            Sideshow Exhibits, by Gene O'Neill, Gord Rollo and Michael McBride
                            The Avian, by Brian Knight
                            Whisonant/Creatures of the Light, by Mark Allan Gunnells

That was from Sideshow Publications' $30 paperback grab bag. I already own Fiona and Grams, but still it was worth the price. If anyone is interested in trading for Fiona and Grams, I'll throw in a shitty copy of Revenge Flick! It's dry. Haha.
                            "Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

The Eyesore Times | Shock Totem | Getcha Rocks Off

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                              Moorcock literally has 100+ books to his credit. His fantasy books average about 200 pages per. If you're interested in pursuing this, the best series to get a feeling for how Moorcock might have influenced the DT series is the original 6-book Elric series. Moorcock has written twice that number of Elric's further adventures since then, but these six give a good base for the various themes he explores.

Elric of Melnibone
                              The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
                              The Weird of the White Wolf
                              The Vanishing Tower
                              The Bane of the Black Sword
                              Stormbringer

The omnibus Elric volumes contain all the Elric stories, but these six are a good place to start. But be warned, if you decide to read more of Moorcock's works, they are maddeningly hard to find--i spent years scouring back-alley bookstores for old Daw paperbacks (pre-internet).
                              I'll go scavenge the interwebs and see what I can find. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Just got these from the Half Price Books closest to where I work and my previous address. All 4 hardcovers are 1 printings. The Lost Symbol was on clearance for $2 so I had to get it. They had a couple copies of Hearts in Atlantis HC on clearance as well, but I didn't even make it to looking at the number line because they weren't in good enough condition for me, lol. I already had a copy of Ghost Story but it's not in very good condition since the cover is ripping off

DSC00264.jpg
                                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                                Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                                X