No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure I have a few hundred books that I could get rid of the physical versions and just stick with the Kindle version, but I don't want to rebuy the Kindle ones (not like you can buy them on the secondary market). Plus browsing through a Kindle is PAINFUL. It's not as easy as just browsing a shelf.

Hopefully we get a house with sufficient space for all of the shelving we need. I'm hoping for an unfinished basement that I can convert into a small theater room, and a dedicated library with "custom" (aka simple) built-ins.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

I only have one dolly so it's four boxes from apartment to truck at a time. I plan on renting a moving truck to take everything off site at once, but still only move four at a time.

Bring your truck and a dolly and I can save on the truck rental.
      Oh, I see. No way around that pain. Even with an extra dolly.

Comment

All 85 boxes are now safely in storage. And I'm EXHAUSTED.

Also, if you need to know, you can probably fit 100 of these boxes in the a cargo van from Uhaul.

20230527_174137954_iOS.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
          All 85 boxes are now safely in storage. And I'm EXHAUSTED.

Also, if you need to know, you can probably fit 100 of these boxes in the a cargo van from Uhaul.

20230527_174137954_iOS.jpg
          Great job.  Do you know if Uhaul allows their cargo van to go out of State?  Asking for a friend.  Hahahahahaha

I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

A few months ago, I was able to get my hands on all five issues of "Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine" that first ran SK's "The Gunslinger". Got 'em at what I felt was a good price and in good condition, not to mention that none of them had mailing labels on them ...

I put them each in protective bags, but had been thinking for a while about getting a slipcase for them. Found a place called Everything Called Books (https://everythingaboutbooks.com/) and, I gotta say, I'm very pleased with their results.

Had a lengthy back-and-forth email conversation with Patrick there and he always responded quickly. I found an AI-generated image and made it a silhouette, provided it to him, and he created the one-off slipcase very quickly. It was packaged so well I thought I should have done an "unboxing video" for Youtube; probably the best packing I have ever gotten from ordering online.

If you're looking for a one-off special slipcase at a good price, give Patrick a buzz at that site.

P.S. The extra space at the top is my fault actually. When I measured, I was measuring the books in their protective bags and not thinking that I'd take the books out of them to put in the slipcase.

I tried putting the bagged books in the slipcase, but didn't like how it looked.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Sherlock Joe's; 05-29-2023, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlock Joe's View Post
              A few months ago, I was able to get my hands on all five issues of "Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine" that first ran SK's "The Gunslinger". Got 'em at what I felt was a good price and in good condition, not to mention that none of them had mailing labels on them ...

I put them each in protective bags, but had been thinking for a while about getting a slipcase for them. Found a place called Everything Called Books (https://everythingaboutbooks.com/) and, I gotta say, I'm very pleased with their results.

Had a lengthy back-and-forth email conversation with Patrick there and he always responded quickly. I found an AI-generated image and made it a silhouette, provided it to him, and he created the one-off slipcase very quickly. It was packaged so well I thought I should have done an "unboxing video" for Youtube; probably the best packing I have ever gotten from ordering online.

If you're looking for a one-off special slipcase at a good price, give Patrick a buzz at that site.

P.S. The extra space at the top is my fault actually. When I measured, I was measuring the books in their protective bags and not thinking that I'd take the books out of them to put in the slipcase.

I tried putting the bagged books in the slipcase, but didn't like how it looked.
              Nice case.  A little black square of foam at the top or bottom and you won't even know the gap is there.  
              Great job on the design.
              I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

Originally posted by mulleins View Post

Great job. Do you know if Uhaul allows their cargo van to go out of State? Asking for a friend. Hahahahahaha
                Â
                Heyyyy!

Comment

The slipcase looks great Sherlock Joe's .

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlock Joe's View Post

Nice slipcase!

Comment

I don't think I'd call it a grail, but I stumbled upon a comic collection that I got rid of ages ago. I still don't know why I got rid of it, or even when (entirely possible someone borrowed it and I never got it back - I know that my copy was passed around quite a bit within my friends group.)

The best part - besides being in GREAT shape considering the age and the quality of the publication, it's the first printing first edition of the collection - the exact one I had in high school.

SPOOOOOOOOON!
                      20230618_032321910_iOS.jpg

Comment

Great finding old friends in the wild!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                          Great finding old friends in the wild!
                          It sure it!

This used book store (which we visit a few times a year) had some good stuff this time.

I also picked up a really nice edition of Harlan Ellison's Approaching Oblivion (orange boards which I believe is the non-book club edition) and they did have a really nice 1st of Legion signed but I couldn't afford the $300 (well, my credit card could but noooooo) they were asking.

Our book shopping yesterday started out visiting an ARC (which is like a Goodwill) and we got a GIANT stack of really nice books for about $22 (although the damn sticker residue will not come off - they use some industrial grade stickers it seems). Then The Bookworm (where I got my Tick book and the Ellison book) - spent about $70 on a smaller stack. Then the comic book store where we spent about $100 on a MUCH smaller stack. Good thing we didn't make another stop.

Comment

IDW was having a 30% off sale to celebrate their new website (any reason for a sale I guess) and I grabbed a few of their GIANT Artist Edition comics.

One of the sets I got was Walter Simonson's artist portfolio of the work he did adapting King's Lawnmower Man.

From the description, it said it was published back in a rare magazine from Marvel in 1981.

I was going to post some pictures, but this website has a much better set - https://aeindex.org/reviews/walter-s...ion-portfolio/

IDW also makes a similar edition for Joe Hill's Locke and Key series. The local comics store we go to has a couple of them still - I think I'll have to go and grab a set after seeing this one.

And for those that are curious - the other Artist's Editions I grabbed were:

Jeff Smith’s Bone: The Great Cow Race - https://aeindex.org/reviews/jeff-smi...tists-edition/

Jim Lee's X-Men - https://aeindex.org/reviews/jim-lees...tists-edition/

Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man - https://aeindex.org/reviews/todd-mcf...tists-edition/

Comment

Hi Guys!
                              Went to the Richmond edition of Oddities and Curiosities and had a great time. Picked up a few things, no weird taxidermy or dolls HAHA!! I did grab two neat Halloween Shadowboxes for my bookshelves. Lot of Fun, I would recommend it, the people watching was fantastical. No good books though.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Fun stuff, Mike. We have something similar called OddMall: Emporium of the Weird that hits our area a couple times a year. There's usually one a month or so before Christmas...looking forward to that one if schedules allow.
                                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Working...
                                X