No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike, thanks for the reminder -- there are at least four book/biblio-related non-fiction books from Tartarus that are now available in tpb that I need to pick up.

S. M., congrats on the rash of sweet deals on the Lafferty series...very exciting and satisfying, I imagine, to fill in so quickly what looked to fated to be an incomplete set. Good luck on #1! Just goes to show, even with Centipede, sometimes perseverance and patience pays off.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      IMG_E3364.JPG

I got into the The Collected Short Fiction of R.A. Lafferty series from Centipede Press rather late, jumping on with the signed editions at Book 5 "The Man Who Walked Through Cracks". I got lucky and picked up an new unsigned copy of Volume 4 direct from Centipede from their "Scratch and Dent" page, but missed on Volume 3 they also had listed. The aftermarket prices on the early books in the series have skyrocketed for both the signed and unsigned versions to the point that while I had made peace with having a mixed unsigned and signed set, I was unsure if I'd ever fill in the collection due to prices. I just didn't see plopping down $500+ for Volume 2 and $250 plus for Volume 3.

Well, one day I was browsing Amazon and saw that a seller had an unsigned copy of Volume 3 for sale at $150. While not cheap, it's definitely on the lower end of the spectrum so after confirming that they would ship in a box, I pulled the trigger. I was a little nervous as I'd never purchased a limited edition book from Amazon Marketplace and was worried about what I'd get. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised. There is a very minor crease in the book jacket on the top right hand corner, but otherwise in great shape.

Then about a week later, the same seller listed a copy an unsigned copy of Volume 2 for $199.00. Still not cheap, but so much better than the $500 and up prices I'd seen that I had to jump on it. And same great results for Book 2.

Now I only have Book 1 to track down, but that might be challenge. If anybody gets a good lead on a copy, let me know!

IMG_E3364.JPG
      Those covers are fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        Mike, thanks for the reminder -- there are at least four book/biblio-related non-fiction books from Tartarus that are now available in tpb that I need to pick up.

S. M., congrats on the rash of sweet deals on the Lafferty series...very exciting and satisfying, I imagine, to fill in so quickly what looked to fated to be an incomplete set. Good luck on #1! Just goes to show, even with Centipede, sometimes perseverance and patience pays off.
        Thanks. It does feel pretty nice to fill those gaps. I get priced our pretty quickly on these aftermarket prices so when I find something within what I can afford it’s extra sweet.

Patience is not one of my strongest virtues. What I lack in that I make up with in stubbornness, so it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Those covers are fantastic!
          Agreed. I really like them a lot.

Comment

Little teaser of the artwork I got framed recently. The unframed art is in this earlier a page or two ago - my wife's JEM art, and my latest Mouse Guard pieces.

We took them to Michaels a couple of weeks ago - perfect timing since they were having a 70% off sale. Even better because whatever framing design I decided upon was over $800 before the discounts. EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS! For one frame. For both pieces, it came to a hair over $400 which seemed a lot more reasonable. I would have probably dropped dead to the floor if I was paying full price.

Anyways - the teaser:

64567407115__CB53A3F6-64DA-4D89-ADEB-B266286EEAF7.jpg

Mouse Guard is on the left; JEM is on the right. The Mouse Guard one was HUGE. I'm not sure it's going to fit in the space I picked.

I'm heading out camping this weekend (solo - trial run with all of the new camping gear we bought in lieu of a small trailer) so it'll be a few days before I'll unveil the finished pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
              Little teaser of the artwork I got framed recently. The unframed art is in this earlier a page or two ago - my wife's JEM art, and my latest Mouse Guard pieces.

We took them to Michaels a couple of weeks ago - perfect timing since they were having a 70% off sale. Even better because whatever framing design I decided upon was over $800 before the discounts. EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS! For one frame. For both pieces, it came to a hair over $400 which seemed a lot more reasonable. I would have probably dropped dead to the floor if I was paying full price.

Anyways - the teaser:

64567407115__CB53A3F6-64DA-4D89-ADEB-B266286EEAF7.jpg

Mouse Guard is on the left; JEM is on the right. The Mouse Guard one was HUGE. I'm not sure it's going to fit in the space I picked.

I'm heading out camping this weekend (solo - trial run with all of the new camping gear we bought in lieu of a small trailer) so it'll be a few days before I'll unveil the finished pieces.
              Enjoy your camping. Looking forward to seeing the finished art. Side question: What is the Joe Hill book in the bubble bag?

Comment

Picked up a boat-load of Magazines and ephemera for Centipede's John Pelan sale. So interesting!

Jerad.jpg
                Last edited by mhatchett; 06-24-2021, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                  Picked up a boat-load of Magazines and ephemera for Centipede's John Pelan sale. So interesting!

Jerad.jpg
                  Very cool. I've picked up just two items thus far, but am keeping an occasional eye out for more.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Enjoy your camping. Looking forward to seeing the finished art. Side question: What is the Joe Hill book in the bubble bag?
                    It's Suntup's signed and numbered Horns.

Camping was good - still haven't unpacked the art. My wife is back from Texas on Saturday, so we'll probably unpack it then.

Comment

It's Suntup's signed and numbered Horns.

Camping was good - still haven't unpacked the art. My wife is back from Texas on Saturday, so we'll probably unpack it then.
                      I should have been able to guess that based on placement and color. Of course that would require thought which I am lacking. Glad camping was enjoyable.

Comment

I should have been able to guess that based on placement and color. Of course that would require thought which I am lacking. Glad camping was enjoyable.
                        You're slacking in your older age!

Related, I always love looking at other people's bookshelves in pictures. Here's a picture of my cat . . . bookshelf in the background . . . ENHANCE ENHANCE!

Comment

You're slacking in your older age!

Related, I always love looking at other people's bookshelves in pictures. Here's a picture of my cat . . . bookshelf in the background . . . ENHANCE ENHANCE!
                          I am definitely slacking in my old age. I am not sure why but I always study the background in photos and videos. Jeff Terry recently posted a video of his interview with Kealan Patrick Burke and I obsessed on trying to figure out what his kids were scrolling through on the TV that you could barely see in the frame.

Comment

These all showed up yesterday. The Wolfen art portfolio from Suntup, which is just beautiful. There are a few prints in there that I want to frame.

The CD Night Shift art portfolio arrived.

And there's my latest ebay find, Confessions of the Archivist, by Patrick Lestewka, aka Nick Cutter, real name Craig Davidson. Apparently he found this one so disturbing that he has never allowed it to be reprinted, so copies are scarce. I'm not a fan of gross-out horror, so I may not be into this. However, I've heard about it enough times that I decided to go for it when I saw one for sale.

IMG_0330.jpg

Comment

I found an unusual S/L which I couldn't resist -- The Pact by Sharon Bolton. ~Cap
                              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

This interesting item arrived with a bundle of ephemera that I purchased from Centipede Press, part of the John Pelcan collection, that Jerad is selling on for the family. A 1983 winter edition of The Bulletin of the Science Fiction Writers of America. The photos on the front and back cover are fantastic, Karl Edward Wagner (12-12-1945/10-14-1994), Charles L Grant (9-12-1942/9-15-2006), Robert Bloch (4-5-1917/9-23-1994), Stuart David Schiff, of Whispers Fame. On the back, Manly Wade Wellman (5-21-1903/4-5-1986), Rowena Morrill ( 9-14-1944/2-11-2021), Gene Wolfe ( 5-7-1931/4-14-2019), David Drake and Catherine(11-6-1907/4-9-2000) and L.Sprague de Camp ( 11-27-1907/11-6-200). Sad to see how many of them have passed on, but a really interesting issue, highlighting The 1983 World Fantasy Awards.

Photo.jpgPhoto2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X