X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    I had an interesting few days as a book buyer:

On Day One, I placed an order on ABE for MIDAS by Tyler Jones, the Earthling S/L HC. The seller had three copies, one for $64.50, two for $84.50. I figured the $64.50 was a perhaps a slightly less crisp copy than the other two, though all three were labeled Fine...maybe it had been read once, I thought.

On Day Two, I received a cancellation from the seller, saying that listing had been sold two weeks before and should not have been still listed. I asked, You have two other copies for sale...cannot one of those be used as a substitute? He said no, but I could buy one of the $84.50 copies if I wanted. I declined the 1/3 increase in cost, saying that I bought my copy on good faith at $64.50, and while I understood that mistakes happen, it's more important how a business responds to their mistakes...that I would have hoped as a professional bookseller he'd have honored my purchase and price with one of the other copies, even to the point of perhaps doing so automatically without cancellation and my query. He apologized, but didn't change his stance.

I don't know, perhaps I was expecting too much of the seller, and was applying my ethics, what I would have so clearly done as the seller in that same situation, onto someone else.

One Day Three (today), Folio Society announced their Half-Price Sale, and I picked up the John Wyndham three-novel box set, which was effectively cut in half again by the $64.50 I "saved" by the cancellation of MIDAS.

So I guess things worked out okay in the end, though I'm still left a bit irked...but the arrival of the beautiful Wyndham set will I'm sure go a long way to tamping that feeling down.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Excellent!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Wowza, incredible luck! Glad they found an appreciative home and are now bagged to keep their apparently pristine condition.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sherlock Joe's View Post
    NOT FOR SALE.

I scored these for quite a deal (IMHO) ... story was that someone had given their relative's neighbor a bunch of books when the neighbor passed away. Bookstore staff said that there were a bunch of romance novels and these.

I already had first US printings of The Running Man and The Long Walk, but these are UK first printings and in absolute terrific condition; they also went straight into protective bags when I got home (still don't understand why bookstore didn't do that to begin with).

Merry Christmas to me.

Rage UK PB.jpgRage and Roadwork UK PB.jpg
    Fantastic finds!

Leave a comment:

• Sherlock Joe's
    replied
    NOT FOR SALE.

I scored these for quite a deal (IMHO) ... story was that someone had given their relative's neighbor a bunch of books when the neighbor passed away. Bookstore staff said that there were a bunch of romance novels and these.

I already had first US printings of The Running Man and The Long Walk, but these are UK first printings and in absolute terrific condition; they also went straight into protective bags when I got home (still don't understand why bookstore didn't do that to begin with).

Merry Christmas to me.

Rage UK PB.jpgRage and Roadwork UK PB.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Congrats to both. Time does go quickly. Mine are 28 and 24. It blows my mind that one of my children is closing in on 30.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Times flies like a jetpack, doesn't it? Mine turn 25 next year...no idea how that happened since it seems like grade school was just yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied

Times flies like a jetpack, doesn't it? Mine turn 25 next year...no idea how that happened since it seems like grade school was just yesterday.
    Yeah, it does! I look back at old pics wondering where the time went.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Thanks Ron! Yes, I usually only see the occasional volume from a broken set up for sale, so this was a lucky find.

The kiddo will be 19 next month! Those pics must be from 2008 or so, but we like them

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Congratulations, Dave -- set looks great! Always satisfying to land those Grails at a deep discount...doesn't happen often, so it's worth celebrating!

Cute kiddo, btw.
    Thanks Ron! Yes, I usually only see the occasional volume from a broken set up for sale, so this was a lucky find.

The kiddo will be 19 next month! Those pics must be from 2008 or so, but we like them

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Congrats, Dave. I've looked at that the last few years as well. That is a gorgeous looking collection.
    Thanks Tim!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Congratulations, Dave -- set looks great! Always satisfying to land those Grails at a deep discount...doesn't happen often, so it's worth celebrating!

Cute kiddo, btw.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Congrats, Dave. I've looked at that the last few years as well. That is a gorgeous looking collection.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    I just got this set. The 46-volume works of Robert A. Heinlein, aka the Virginia Edition.

They have a sale on at the moment, $300 off the $1500 MSRP, and if you join the Heinlein Society for $45 you can get another 20% off.

I almost went for that deal, but then found this set on Abe Books for $750. Using a cashback offer on my credit card brought it down to $599 with tax and shipping, so I bought it.
    I've been looking at it for at least ten years, but there was always something I wanted more, so it got pushed back.

The funniest comments on the FB page are how they must think people are made of money to afford this set. I'd like to point them to Suntup or Centipede, where you can easily pay that much for a single book

IMG_6144.jpg

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I know nothing about bikes but that looks like a work of art. Congrats and be safe. :-)
    Thanks...I can't disagree with your assessment.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I know nothing about bikes but that looks like a work of art. Congrats and be safe. :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X