No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw, too, the Gregg edition of Bester’s STARS. Congrats on adding a grail to your shelves!
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thanks Ron, it's a neat little book. Those Gregg editions are interesting.

Comment

These came in the other day. I'm really impressed with the Tartartus books. They have a level of quirky scholarship that I enjoy. Thought I would throw in a shelfie.
        Last edited by mhatchett; 09-03-2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
          These came in the other day. I'm really impressed with the Tartartus books. They have a level of quirky scholarship that I enjoy. Thought I would throw in a shelfie.
          The four books bracketed by HAUNTED BY BOOKS and PAST LIVES OF OLD BOOKS: Are they as interesting as they would seem? I’ve very nearly pulled the trigger on all four of them multiple times as I love that kind of stuff...

Comment

Ron I would say yes. They are broken up into very readable chapters that you can pick up and put down. They provide insight into geography, history, folk-lore, book collecting, biography, They're all over the place interesting. They are like a book ramble and if you get them as they are published, they're very affordable. I usually get mine from Camelot, unless I find something really interesting on ebay or ABE.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
              Ron I would say yes. They are broken up into very readable chapters that you can pick up and put down. They provide insight into geography, history, folk-lore, book collecting, biography, They're all over the place interesting. They are like a book ramble and if you get them as they are published, they're very affordable. I usually get mine from Camelot, unless I find something really interesting on ebay or ABE.
              Good to hear. I know at least a couple of them are available as tpbs now -- $19.99 ea., I believe, at Amazon -- and perhaps the others will be soon as well. I periodically look at the 1st HCs on eBay, et al, but resale on them is a bit high these days. Looks like one of those things where you miss out on the initial offering, the aftermarket isn't overly kind. I'm not quite as finicky on having HC 1sts of non-fiction material, so I think the tpbs will probably do the trick just fine. Probably time for me to recheck Amazon and see if they're all available now as tpbs or (still) just the two Valentines.

Comment

I recently managed to get a paperback copy of Centipede Press' Deadline at Dawn by Cornell Woolrich for very cheap. Also bought a copy of UFO Files (anthology) signed by Ed Lee and Jack Ketchum. And then there was also a cheap lot of paperbacks that I bought solely for a copy of Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides.

Documented that purchase with an unboxing.

https://youtu.be/OUukcIWHJAM

I also managed to pick up a copy of Orgy of the Dead (the first title in Centipede Press' Vintage Horror collection). I did NOT record the unboxing of that one, on account that it would be a quick way for me to have my YouTube account get taken down, haha...

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
                  I recently managed to get a paperback copy of Centipede Press' Deadline at Dawn by Cornell Woolrich for very cheap. Also bought a copy of UFO Files (anthology) signed by Ed Lee and Jack Ketchum. And then there was also a cheap lot of paperbacks that I bought solely for a copy of Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides.

I also managed to pick up a copy of Orgy of the Dead (the first title in Centipede Press' Vintage Horror collection). I did NOT record the unboxing of that one, on account that it would be a quick way for me to have my YouTube account get taken down, haha...
                  Love the censorship lol.

Comment

I've been enjoying your unboxings as they come out...hope you continue to do them. If I can put on my director's beret and offer one small bit of advice, you may want to play around with the lighting and see if you can boost it some...sometimes it's so dimly lit that it's hard to make out sharp details on my phone. Otherwise, keep up the great work!

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I've been enjoying your unboxings as they come out...hope you continue to do them. If I can put on my director's beret and offer one small bit of advice, you may want to play around with the lighting and see if you can boost it some...sometimes it's so dimly lit that it's hard to make out sharp details on my phone. Otherwise, keep up the great work!
                      Thank you very much, sir!

Yeah, I need to get a better setup all around. The phone's camera does not do the videos any favors either. But I'm also messing around with the lighting.

Comment

Thank you very much, sir!

Yeah, I need to get a better setup all around. The phone's camera does not do the videos any favors either. But I'm also messing around with the lighting.
                        Hey, just watched the new one, and...more light!

I was concerned for you upon seeing the battered box...glad it all worked out!

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Hey, just watched the new one, and...more light!

I was concerned for you upon seeing the battered box...glad it all worked out!
                          Yeah, it was a brighter day, which helped a bit. But I do plan on trying to add even more light!

I'm relieved that the set didn't get damaged. Considering the weight of the books and the fact that the tape been detached, one good jostle in transit could have busted them loose.
                          Last edited by Splync; 09-07-2020, 02:43 AM.

Comment

This post will probably make you laugh. I just found and paid for a new, signed edition of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and the price was unbelieveable (Did I spell that last word right?) I know there was a special edition of The Night Circus book before and I've seen it selling for over $600. This is a new edition of the same book by the same publisher for $500 less. I've wanted this gold or grail edition and really did not expect to get a copy. I honestly was not sure if I should cry or laugh. I just sat in stunned silence for a minute not sure if what I was seeing was real.

Cap
                            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                              This post will probably make you laugh. I just found and paid for a new, signed edition of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and the price was unbelieveable (Did I spell that last word right?) I know there was a special edition of The Night Circus book before and I've seen it selling for over $600. This is a new edition of the same book by the same publisher for $500 less. I've wanted this gold or grail edition and really did not expect to get a copy. I honestly was not sure if I should cry or laugh. I just sat in stunned silence for a minute not sure if what I was seeing was real.

Cap
                              I'm not familiar with it, Steve but sounds like a great score. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

I'm not familiar with it, Steve but sounds like a great score. Congrats!
                                The Night Circus was author Erin Morgenstern's debut release. From what I gather it was really well received. It's been given the deluxe book treatment once. This may be a second edition, I don't care. I'm happy I get the deluxe treatment version.

~Cap

Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X