X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Do you mind stating what issue's you saw? I hadn't noted anything obvious.

The bottom board stuck out farther from the page block than the front board, about twice as much, making the spine a bit off-center, and the rear endpaper was misglued to the rear board about 1.5” high.

Very disappointing for my first direct order from Folio. I have another Folio book and it’s fine, but you sure hope for better when you order direct. I will say their customer service to remedy the situation was top-notch. Hopefully the replacement will be okay.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Do you mind stating what issue's you saw? I hadn't noted anything obvious.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I ordered it as well, sometime after my earlier post, and it arrived a week or so ago. There were some production issues with it, though, so had to request a replacement. That replacement is due to arrive tomorrow (Folio expedited the shipping). Look for the bad copy on eBay shortly.

I did feature pics of it on Twitter a few days ago:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...991876103?s=21

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Ordered this and it arrived today. Nice looking book and happy to have added it to my collection. Thanks for the nudge on it.

I ordered it as well, sometime after my earlier post, and it arrived a week or so ago. There were some production issues with it, though, so had to request a replacement. That replacement is due to arrive tomorrow (Folio expedited the shipping). Look for the bad copy on eBay shortly.

I did feature pics of it on Twitter a few days ago:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...991876103?s=21

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Ordered this and it arrived today. Nice looking book and happy to have added it to my collection. Thanks for the nudge on it.

Folio’s edition of Charles Portis’ TRUE GRIT is the one I keep going back to...have come close to pulling the trigger on it at least a dozen times, and for some reason continue to hold off. Reportedly THE modern Great American Novel, I’ve never read it, though have seen the movie. But the book with its unreliable narrator is supposed to be far richer, nuanced, and more complex than the film, obviously, and deals with themes of coming-of-age, revenge, growing old and obsolescence, etc.…really need to get my hands on this one.

If anyone’s interested in seeing pics of this attractive volume:

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/true-grit.html

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    The first shipment of books from the Taschen sale arrived today. They were sold with warnings that they could have shelf wear from being displayed, etc, but these were all shrink wrapped and brand new. I would definitely buy their sale books again.

T1_s.JPGT3_s.JPGT2_s.JPG

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    ^^^^ Looks like a signed ARC to me. Medium Rare Books was around for a short while, then — as I recall — shut down, leaving behind some grumblings (about matters I no longer recall).

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Not really sure what I bought however it intrigued me. Probably post this over on the KPB thread and ask him, assuming he still checks in, what this item was all about.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Too bad you couldn't get a set when SubPress did a 50% off sale - it was one of the books available, and $90 for that trilogy would have been an AMAZING deal!
    I actually got mine shortly before that half-off sale, from an offer I made to a seller on eBay. I believe I spent $120, so I still got a very good deal…just not as sweet as the one that popped up a couple months later. But like you said, they went pretty fast, so chances are I wouldn’t had a shot at that one anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Too bad you couldn't get a set when SubPress did a 50% off sale - it was one of the books available, and $90 for that trilogy would have been an AMAZING deal! Also pretty sure they disappeared fairly quickly after the sale went live.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    Very nice! I passed on the Sub Press Themis Files set - can't buy everything!

I don't know - but Ron probably has a good safe guess about it.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Not familiar with the stories but the presentation is beautiful. Is there any story on why they reduced the print run after the first book?

I know I haven't read the Corbett book from CD either, so you have good company there. All of my TBR pile is basically my shelves. My wife and I did at one time go through all of our books and flag them with this sticky notes I got from a conference to help identify which ones we haven't read, but between two moves, running out of space, and the sticky notes falling off, I have no idea anymore, so everything goes on the shelves.

R.e. the reduction, my guess is lack of interest in the UK to sustain 750 copies, especially if these UK editions appeared after the Sub Press set.

I have the Sub Press set, but have yet to read them. Typically I'll read my limiteds shortly after receiving them -- they don't linger long in my TBR pile as I tend to put a priority on them. These ones, however, I for some reason shelved them before I read them, thinking I'll just pull them off the shelf at some point and read them. But when my usual process of "TBR --> read --> shelve" is broken, I've found they don't seem to get read. Same thing happened with the last four Matthew Corbett books.

I do plan to read all of them soon, though, and have certainly learned my lesson about premature shelving.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    R.e. the reduction, my guess is lack of interest in the UK to sustain 750 copies, especially if these UK editions appeared after the Sub Press set.

I have the Sub Press set, but have yet to read them. Typically I'll read my limiteds shortly after receiving them -- they don't linger long in my TBR pile as I tend to put a priority on them. These ones, however, I for some reason shelved them before I read them, thinking I'll just pull them off the shelf at some point and read them. But when my usual process of "TBR --> read --> shelve" is broken, I've found they don't seem to get read. Same thing happened with the last four Matthew Corbett books.

I do plan to read all of them soon, though, and have certainly learned my lesson about premature shelving.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Not familiar with the stories but the presentation is beautiful. Is there any story on why they reduced the print run after the first book?

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Very nice! I passed on the Sub Press Themis Files set - can't buy everything!

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I remember really like the first book in the Themis Files trilogy from Sylvain Neuvel - Sleeping Giants. The next two weren't as good in my opinion, but I still enjoyed the series.

After the series ended, I recall tweet at Bill at SubPress that this trilogy would make a nice set of books to publish and what do you know - SubPress did publish a set. They also published a Murderbot collection after I tweeted at them. Pretty sure everyone owes me something for this . . ..

But I digress.

In addition to the standard trade 1/1 hardcovers, and the SubPress set, I now own the signed and numbered UK versions. I really like the whole presentation - from the matching covers, to the sprayed edges, to the matching black end papers. The whole set just looks really nice!

20210130_195600612_iOS.jpg20210130_195620317_iOS.jpg
    20210130_195656876_iOS.jpg20210130_195635304_iOS.jpg20210130_195646748_iOS.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    The Tremblay books were larger in size than I expected (that's what she said) - I only have one other Thunderstorm book and that's the Chizmar one from a year or two back.

I usually don't comment on "fancy" endpapers, but I really like the marbling on these. They look really sharp.

RonClinton - I've eyeballed that Folio edition of True Grit for ages now, but just never pulled the trigger on it. I may have to correct that soon. Of course, I did just learn that I owe $2k in taxes this year so that hurts.
    Thunderstorm is definitely the most creative company out there when it comes to end papers.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    The Tremblay books were larger in size than I expected (that's what she said) - I only have one other Thunderstorm book and that's the Chizmar one from a year or two back.

I usually don't comment on "fancy" endpapers, but I really like the marbling on these. They look really sharp.

RonClinton - I've eyeballed that Folio edition of True Grit for ages now, but just never pulled the trigger on it. I may have to correct that soon. Of course, I did just learn that I owe $2k in taxes this year so that hurts.
    Yeah, those Tremblay books are beautiful, the usual high-quality job from Paul @ Thunderstorm.

I've eyeballed that TRUE GRIT volume for probably two years, but like you just never pulled the trigger on it. Got close a couple times, but backed away from the keyboard...finally had enough of lusting after it and reading all the glowing reviews and articles on Portis' work, and when I received a $10 discount code, that was enough to push me off the fence. 'Course, with my luck, after waiting two years now Suntup will probably do a lovely AE of it that'll blow Folio's very attractive edition out of the water, but...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X