X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by slayn666 View Post

You could try to wait out the bubble, because it is going to burst at some point. The catch is that it might not have a significant impact on Centipede titles.
    That’s what I was thinking, about waiting for the bubble to burst. We are definitely seeing some very high prices on the secondary market. Is there a consensus that we are in the middle of a bubble that’s destined to burst?

I never buy books based on the market’s perceived value, though I do look out for what I believe are good deals and try to maximize my book-buying dollars. Books seem to be infinite, while the money I have to spend on them is not. My barometer is simply “am I okay with paying this price?”, which has served me well.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    I'm getting that one too Ron, as soon as it is listed.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    Very pleased with my first MidWorld Press purchase. The book is substantial and well put together. Nice Art, I like it. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
    Good to hear, because that limited of BLACKTOP WASTELAND is on my pre-order radar, and I was curious how their debut (?) release looked.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Very pleased with my first MidWorld Press purchase. The book is substantial and well put together. Nice Art, I like it. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Last edited by mhatchett; 04-30-2021, 05:53 PM. Reason: added photot

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

At some point I know I’m going to need to bite the bullet on the Leiber MoSF title. I was hoping the prices were from over-optimistic sellers but they’re actually selling at $600+ price points. I just can’t see dropping that much on the book.
    You could try to wait out the bubble, because it is going to burst at some point. The catch is that it might not have a significant impact on Centipede titles.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

At some point I know I’m going to need to bite the bullet on the Leiber MoSF title. I was hoping the prices were from over-optimistic sellers but they’re actually selling at $600+ price points. I just can’t see dropping that much on the book.

I’m trying to fill in the older Centipede titles but this is an expensive game. I recently picked up their edition of THE OTHER which I’ve rarely seen up for sale, so there’s that.

As for the Sub Press book, if you can swing it, buy it. I almost always regret passing on a book I’ve been hunting down.
    Congrats on acquiring THE OTHER. I have that one, too, and it’s an interesting example of how Jerad was still working on fine-tuning the design look that his books would eventually settle into.

You’re probably right on the Sub Press book. Along with price at the moment and a burdened budget, it’s among the books that Centipede is planning to produce an edition of in the future, so I’m kind of inclined to wait...but who knows how long it may be, so... And the Sub Press edition is a truly beautiful edition that could preempt the need for a later CP edition...maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I do have the Leiber SF volume (the single SF, not the slipcased MotWT double volume), but skipped the Farhad series...just not enough of a fantasy fan to go down that road (same reason I skipped the Moorcock series).

EDIT: Just checked the price on that Leiber, and yikes, you’re not kidding...no idea it’d gone up that much.

On an unrelated note, a older, scarce Sub Press S/L that I’ve wanted for a long time just popped up on eBay...not sure I can swing it with all the Centipede and Suntup AE purchases over the last couple weeks, but I sure wish I could...it rarely pops up anymore.

I’m trying to fill in the older Centipede titles but this is an expensive game. I recently picked up their edition of THE OTHER which I’ve rarely seen up for sale, so there’s that.

As for the Sub Press book, if you can swing it, buy it. I almost always regret passing on a book I’ve been hunting down.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

I got in late on both and now scour the aftermarket for reasonable prices for the ones I missed. Woolrich books aren’t that bad ($150 is the norm), except for the first two volumes of the Collected Short Fiction. The Lafferty books, though, man, $350+ for each of the first three books easy. I just don’t know if I can swallow those prices. The prices on the Fritz Leiber MoSF is also KILLING me.
    I do have the Leiber SF volume (the single SF, not the slipcased MotWT double volume), but skipped the Farhad series...just not enough of a fantasy fan to go down that road (same reason I skipped the Moorcock series).

EDIT: Just checked the price on that Leiber, and yikes, you’re not kidding...no idea it’d gone up that much.

On an unrelated note, a older, scarce Sub Press S/L that I’ve wanted for a long time just popped up on eBay...not sure I can swing it with all the Centipede and Suntup AE purchases over the last couple weeks, but I sure wish I could...it rarely pops up anymore.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 04-27-2021, 05:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

I’ve been on the Woolrich train since the beginning, but did skip the Lafferty series.
    I got in late on both and now scour the aftermarket for reasonable prices for the ones I missed. Woolrich books aren’t that bad ($150 is the norm), except for the first two volumes of the Collected Short Fiction. The Lafferty books, though, man, $350+ for each of the first three books easy. I just don’t know if I can swallow those prices. The prices on the Fritz Leiber MoSF is also KILLING me.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Really glad I got on the Woolrich train early. Such a great set. And Lafferty is supposed to be a 12 vol set once it's complete.
    I’ve been on the Woolrich train since the beginning, but did skip the Lafferty series.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

I do, too...very different and fancy, a little luxurious.

I received my Woolrich volumes the week before last. Two weeks in a row with a Centipede delivery...nice.
    Really glad I got on the Woolrich train early. Such a great set. And Lafferty is supposed to be a 12 vol set once it's complete.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

I received my ENDER’S WAY as well as the new Woolrich and Lafferty books. ENDER’S WAY is very nice. I really like the capped slipcases that Centipede has been doing lately.
    I do, too...very different and fancy, a little luxurious.

I received my Woolrich volumes the week before last. Two weeks in a row with a Centipede delivery...nice.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Last week was a Centipede and Suntup kind of week -- which is the best kind of week. I received the ENDER'S WAY from Centipede and the two new Suntup AE Heinlein HCs I had on preorder with Camelot.
    I received my ENDER’S WAY as well as the new Woolrich and Lafferty books. ENDER’S WAY is very nice. I really like the capped slipcases that Centipede has been doing lately.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Last week was a Centipede and Suntup kind of week -- which is the best kind of week. I received the ENDER'S WAY from Centipede and the two new Suntup AE Heinlein HCs I had on preorder with Camelot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X