No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I went to the Days of the Dead convention and got schooled in con life. I didn't realize signatures were so expensive. And I didn't realize that once there I wouldn't care that signatures were so expensive. I spent $175 to get signatures from three Cenobites (everyone but Doug Bradley) and Ashley Laurence for my edition of Hellbound Heart. It was worth every penny. I met and talked with the Cenobites (Nicholas Vince, Simon Bamford, and Barbie Wilde) and loved every minute of it. I'll have to hunt down Bradley to make my edition complete, but I'm thrilled.

The Cenobites!
    Cenobite Sigs.jpg

Kirsty!
    ASHLEY sig.jpg
    Last edited by jeffingoff; 11-19-2018, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
      Well, I went to the Days of the Dead convention and got schooled in con life. I didn't realize signatures were so expensive. And I didn't realize that once there I wouldn't care that signatures were so expensive. I spent $175 to get signatures from three Cenobites (everyone but Doug Bradley) and Ashley Laurence for my edition of Hellbound Heart. It was worth every penny. I met and talked with the Cenobites (Nicholas Vince, Simon Bamford, and Barbie Wilde) and loved every minute of it. I'll have to hunt down Bradley to make my edition complete, but I'm thrilled.

The Cenobites!
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]21120[/ATTACH]

Kirsty!
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]21121[/ATTACH]
      Careful, the con life is addicting. I spent 6 hours in line to get Robert Englund's autograph just to have it announced he was leaving for the day. 6 hours in a hotel's maintenance hallway. UGH Someone ahead of us brought 25 things for him to sign. He charges $80 for an autograph. SO, had to go back the next and final day and still waited another hour. It was worth it though. I also waited in line for nearly four hours for Bruce Campbell's autograph. Hulk Hogan was at one convention I went to (this was before the sex tape and racism scandal) and he charged $100 per autograph. Insane! Years and years ago most celebs would do it for free, then it became 10 or 20 per autograph. Now, all bets are off.

I met and got Doug Bradley's autograph on 2 books. A lovely man to chat with and he only charged $20 per autograph.

Comment

Well the Con Life is clearly not for me! Congratulations though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
          Careful, the con life is addicting. I spent 6 hours in line to get Robert Englund's autograph just to have it announced he was leaving for the day. 6 hours in a hotel's maintenance hallway. UGH Someone ahead of us brought 25 things for him to sign. He charges $80 for an autograph. SO, had to go back the next and final day and still waited another hour. It was worth it though. I also waited in line for nearly four hours for Bruce Campbell's autograph. Hulk Hogan was at one convention I went to (this was before the sex tape and racism scandal) and he charged $100 per autograph. Insane! Years and years ago most celebs would do it for free, then it became 10 or 20 per autograph. Now, all bets are off.

I met and got Doug Bradley's autograph on 2 books. A lovely man to chat with and he only charged $20 per autograph.
          Every one of the actors playing the cenobites was charming and friendly. I talked nearly 15 minutes with Nicholas Vince (he played the Chatterer) and it was like being with an insanely interesting old friend.

I expected to pay $10-$20. But the cheapest was $30. Ashley Laurence charged $50 and when I went to also get a pic with her, her bodyguard almost told me to pay more, but Ashley waved him away. By comparison Clive Barker was charging $60.

I paid for two photo ops, one with with him and one with him and the cenobites. Those were pricey. That one day at DOTD cost me $440 (attendance, signatures, photo ops, and lunch--there was this HELLRAISER burger I just had to have!)

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            Well the Con Life is clearly not for me! Congratulations though.

Yeah, I definitely can't do that every year. And because of that insane amount of money spent I had to pass on a recent book announcement that grieves me.

Comment

I'd LOVE to meet Barker and the other cenobites. I hope he comes to the Mad Monster Party one year. That's the con I go to just because it's an hour from my house. Bruce is back this year!

Mad Monster Party: Carolinas

Comment

It's funny but they use to put the prices up of what each celeb was charging for an autograph but some of the guests balked at that because they were charging less than others and yadda yadda yadda so they don't do that any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                  Years and years ago most celebs would do it for free, then it became 10 or 20 per autograph. Now, all bets are off.
                  Blame assholes that would bring stacks of headshots for people to sign (for free) then turn around and flip them for massive profits. I honestly can't hold it against the actors.

Comment

This kind of pay-to-play thing with "celebrities" completely baffles me, I have to admit, but if the buyer's happy and the celebrity's happy, more power to 'em both.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I understand why celebrities (and sports stars) charge for things because so many people turn around and sell the items on the secondary market, so coming across those who don't charge is highly refreshing.

David Petersen (Mouse Guard - I know, I know, but I have to use his name in at least 50% of my posts or the checks stop coming) will sign everything - but I've spent so much money on his things the last few years I feel like I've earned. Same with Terry Moore - he didn't charge - but I've bought practically everything he's produced (his wife even said she's happy that I have the books even if I didn't buy them from him because it means someone did.)

Chris Claremont was charging for autographs, and while I tried to get one, people in front of me had literal boxes/cases of issues to get signed, and after waiting almost an hour and never moving, I gave up.

Oh - I'm curious about this Hellraiser burger . . .

As far as sport stuff - I've gotten all my Sounders stuff signed at games so I never had to pay.

Comment

Congrats, Jeff! I'm sure you'll pick up that book somewhere else down the line.

Comment

My wife was an original Turner Classic Movie employee getting into high management level. Whenever an actor/actress came in for an interview the staff would get 8x10 autograph head shots. Ended up with a few including Charlton Heston, James Garner, Patricia Neal and a few others. Not at home right now so I cannot recall the others.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                            I understand why celebrities (and sports stars) charge for things because so many people turn around and sell the items on the secondary market, so coming across those who don't charge is highly refreshing.

Oh - I'm curious about this Hellraiser burger . . .
                            Yeah, I totally understand why they charge money. And it's cool. My edition of HELLBOUND HEART is worth a lot more than the $375 I've spent acquiring it and getting it signed.

As for the Hellraiser burger, it was a cool idea and a wonderful presentation, but it tasted like garbage. The drink I had with it (named Dead by Dawn!) was so much tastier.
                            HellraiserBurger.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

As for the Hellraiser burger, it was a cool idea and a wonderful presentation, but it tasted like garbage. The drink I had with it (named Dead by Dawn!) was so much tastier.
                              Maybe you shouldn't have eaten the little spikes and chain. I mean, sure you need fiber in your diet, but damn...

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                                Maybe you shouldn't have eaten the little spikes and chain. I mean, sure you need fiber in your diet, but damn...
                                The chains were some jelly-like substance that had the consistency of snot. I plucked that crap off immediately. My brother in law ate his chains and declared his burger just fine. I probably would have enjoyed the burger more had I eaten the painted toothpicks.

Comment

Working...
                                X