X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian861
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    In the continuing adventures of the post office and Borderlands . . .

Borderlands never did bill me for Priority Mail, but the replacement book arrived today. For those playing along at home, the most recent Little Book was Magenta, which was lost and the tracking info shows Dead.

Today's book - same crappy envelope, via Media Mail, was the Little Amber Book. Not even the right replacement book.

So more emails sent to Borderlands. We'll see what happens.

Oh and yes, it's odd the Post Office deems the book worth less than $25 when I paid $30 . . .

Maybe 3rd time's a charm

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    In the continuing adventures of the post office and Borderlands . . .

Borderlands never did bill me for Priority Mail, but the replacement book arrived today. For those playing along at home, the most recent Little Book was Magenta, which was lost and the tracking info shows Dead.

Today's book - same crappy envelope, via Media Mail, was the Little Amber Book. Not even the right replacement book.

So more emails sent to Borderlands. We'll see what happens.

Oh and yes, it's odd the Post Office deems the book worth less than $25 when I paid $30 . . .

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Odd that the P.O. would consider it unless than $25 when they retail at $30. I don't believe I've ever had to email BL about an issue so I can't speak to their turnaround times. Hopefully they get it fixed for you sooner vs. later.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    And that's why we stick with them. They're very nice people!

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    That's a great story and also one of the reasons that I don't give a lot of grief to the CD staff. I did one time and felt so bad that I wrote back and apologized . The service is top-notch and it seems that they can't catch a break the last few years. Between the Pandemic and printer issues it's been a frustrating time. However the CD staff always seem to keep it together

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Way to go Dan and Team CD!!! That's awesome. Thanks for sharing this, Brian.
    Most welcome!

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Way to go Dan and Team CD!!! That's awesome. Thanks for sharing this, Brian.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Both Dan and Brian catch a lot of crap, including from me at times, about the going on's at CD so it's only fair to praise them when they do you a solid.

We were having a discussion on TDT last week or so about the Bill Hodges Trilogy set from Scribner and how back when these came out, there was some discussion they may not all have come with 1st printings. For some reason, I never did order a set upon release and didn't recall that CD even offered these. Dan mentioned that he had some damaged ones and I emailed him requesting a set of the least damage variety. Dan advised he was working at home the for the remainder of the week and would contact me on Monday (8/10) when he was back at CD. He did just that, we got the details sorted, and he tells me it'll ship some time this week. Ok, cool. Thanks so much!

I get the shipping notice either the same day or Tuesday. Can't recall and not a big deal as it's no rush for it on my end. The shipping notice is from FedEx, which I thought was nice since I figured it'd come media mail. Again, not a huge deal but I appreciate that it'll be here sooner vs. later. It arrives on Friday and I opened it this afternoon. Still sealed and a huge sigh of relieve as they are all 1st printings when I opened them.

So big thanks to Dan for taking the time to look through how many ever of these they had and picking out a nice set for me. He could have said when I asked initially that no, I'm not taking the time to look through this stuff and you'll get what you get. Furthermore, he could have said no, I'm throwing these things into grab bags, a damage sale, etc., not for individual sale, move along.

As far as damage; yea, there really isn't any! Some extremely minor dings to the slipcase that I'd have to point out to you and Joe Schmo book buyer would never notice. And we're not talking a high end slipcase so I expected the worst. So Dan, realizing that this may not be a big deal on your end, thank you for taking the time to make me feel like it definitely was on my end. In a good way

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I'm just toying with that idea for moment - can't go rushing into these things.

What?!? Read books you collect, Jason?. Now you're just being silly

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    What?!? Read books you collect, Jason?. Now you're just being silly

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    While completing the recent "what books would you like Suntup to publish?" survey that was sent out, one of my selections sent me down the GOTTA HAVE IT road - and that book would be Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves.

This is a book I remember starting many years ago but never finishing it because it got a place where it was difficult to read. The various typeset and font and formats made it a challenge, but one that I think would be a beautiful edition from Suntup.

Even though it's been years since I first attempted to read this, there are still parts that I read that haunt me to this day. Just something about it.

I only owned a paperback copy, so I started off down that road of tracking down a first hardcover copy. I had to really research this book because it's confusing - the first editions are marked Second Edition, so it was difficult to know what you were looking at on-line.

But I did manage to track down a really nice 1st Hardcover that's signed.

So I present my latest purchase - House of Leaves.

IMG_2681.jpgIMG_2687.jpg

Here's the confusing part - the Title Page says Second Edition, but the copyright information page shows First:
    IMG_2688.jpgIMG_2689.jpg

I also found the companion piece - The Whalestoe Letters:
    IMG_2683.jpgIMG_2684.jpg

I really should make it a priority to read this since I spent all this time (and money) on tracking these editions down.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    The only real fiasco I have had is the latest Little Book from Borderlands. The tracking shows it died and went to the Mail Recovery Center, but since it's worth less than $25 according to the post office, it's gone.

Borderlands said they'd send me a new copy since I'm a subscriber, but they were going to bill me for Priority Mail, but I haven't seen anything again about this, and their email response times are less than ideal.

Odd that the P.O. would consider it unless than $25 when they retail at $30. I don't believe I've ever had to email BL about an issue so I can't speak to their turnaround times. Hopefully they get it fixed for you sooner vs. later.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    The only real fiasco I have had is the latest Little Book from Borderlands. The tracking shows it died and went to the Mail Recovery Center, but since it's worth less than $25 according to the post office, it's gone.

Borderlands said they'd send me a new copy since I'm a subscriber, but they were going to bill me for Priority Mail, but I haven't seen anything again about this, and their email response times are less than ideal.

Yea, it's nuts. I had a two-day priority package stuck in L.A. from July 20th until it finally arrived to me on August 12. Surprisingly with everything going on, I haven't had too many issues with delays.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    I bought some MLP comics for Katie from a comic store in Boulder. About 16 miles away. It took four days to arrive via Media Mail.

\_(ツ)_/

Yea, it's nuts. I had a two-day priority package stuck in L.A. from July 20th until it finally arrived to me on August 12. Surprisingly with everything going on, I haven't had too many issues with delays.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I bought some MLP comics for Katie from a comic store in Boulder. About 16 miles away. It took four days to arrive via Media Mail.

\_(ツ)_/

Gotta love the how the mail system works. I'm closer to CD and you get yours first . Happy to hear it's Brodart approved.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    The Red Dragon Numbered slipcase is just insanely nice. I keep looking at it from different angles just to see the color and texture change.
    Congrats! It's a super production for sure!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X