No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grabbed a poster that was lying around. Figured it might come in handy somewhere/sometime. For the record I haven’t read anything from Stephenson, but I do have a few of his books on my want to read list.

And you’re right - not a skilled interviewer.

Sacrilege to sign the SL? I can see that. I just thought it would be fun. And since I have no plans to sell it works. But getting him to sign RPO is just an upgrade to my SL.

It was a fun evening.

Comment

Sounds like you guys had a great evening. I have to admit that I resent not having much for signings here in Winnipeg.

Mike: I was considering grabbing Devil's Day. Have you read any of Hurley's other work? Any opinions?

Comment

I read The Loney because Richard Chizmar said something about it on the Twitters. Snagged one of the Tartarus Press editions for a decent price and now I see people asking ridiculous amounts of money for them. Are they really worth that kind of cash because I will sell mine.

Story wise I thought it was okay. Didn’t leave me any lasting impressions.

Comment

Cool event, Jason and Ron! Congrats on the sigs!

Nice adds, Mike!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
            Sounds like you guys had a great evening. I have to admit that I resent not having much for signings here in Winnipeg.

Mike: I was considering grabbing Devil's Day. Have you read any of Hurley's other work? Any opinions?
            I have not read any of his stuff at all, but I'm a huge fan of weird westerns, so it seemed to fit. I've just dipped into it, Seems pretty violent and graphic, but well written. Teens stay away, nothing sparkling about these vampires, AH's with sharp teeth and appetites LOL!!

Comment

Picked this up Treasure hunting yesterday!
              IMG_0807.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                I have not read any of his stuff at all, but I'm a huge fan of weird westerns, so it seemed to fit. I've just dipped into it, Seems pretty violent and graphic, but well written. Teens stay away, nothing sparkling about these vampires, AH's with sharp teeth and appetites LOL!!
                Mike, I think you've got DEVIL'S DAY and DUST DEVILS confused -- Janz' is the one w/ weird western vampires, while Hurley is the one...without them.

Theli, for what it's worth, here's what someone on another forum said about Hurley's DEVIL'S DAY when I asked the same thing...he rated it a 1 out of 10. "If you want a novel about the bleak realities of farming in rural England along with the traditions, superstitions and folk songs passed down through generations of farmers then this is the book for you. If you want a compelling narrative, well-rounded characters and some element of horror that would justify this being published by a specialty genre press then steer well clear." Not exactly a glowing review, certainly nothing like what one read about THE LONEY.
                Last edited by RonClinton; 12-03-2017, 09:03 PM.
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                  I read The Loney because Richard Chizmar said something about it on the Twitters. Snagged one of the Tartarus Press editions for a decent price and now I see people asking ridiculous amounts of money for them. Are they really worth that kind of cash because I will sell mine.

Story wise I thought it was okay. Didn’t leave me any lasting impressions.
                  It's free to list stuff on eBay nowadays (unless you sell more than 50 items a month, or buy a bunch of listing upgrades), so toss it on there and see what happens.

For what it's worth, I also picked up a copy (ebook, though) because of Rich's recommendation and was pretty disappointed. He (and others) were making it out to be the next big thing in horror and there's effectively no horror and very little suspense. It was a huge disappointment.

Comment

They seem to go in the $300 range which I find kind of crazy. There was the best offer accepted on a copy listed at over $700. Now that Hurley has a new one maybe I’ll throw it up there with a ridiculous price but accept offers I’m confident that I’ll make my money back and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                      Picked this up Treasure hunting yesterday!
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]20307[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                        It's free to list stuff on eBay nowadays (unless you sell more than 50 items a month, or buy a bunch of listing upgrades), so toss it on there and see what happens.

For what it's worth, I also picked up a copy (ebook, though) because of Rich's recommendation and was pretty disappointed. He (and others) were making it out to be the next big thing in horror and there's effectively no horror and very little suspense. It was a huge disappointment.
                        I read that Stephen King also praised The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley. While you may have been disappointed by The Loney or the subject matter of Devil's Day doesn't appeal to you, those recommendations by King and Richard Chizmar sure made those two Tartarus Press titles by AMH sell out fast. The TP Devil's Day is also sold out.

Cap
                        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

You're right Rom, I was spacing. I haven't started Devils' Day yet. It seems to be up my alley, remote village strange happening, the past coming back to haunt the future.

Comment

I'm pretty okay with a slow burn horror, or little horror in general as long as the story and/or characters are well written. I really liked The Girl in a Swing, and it was more about pottery than horror.

I try not to go into books (or films) with much expectations, and I'm not too concerned about genre. I like a wide variety of books. The negative review from another poster that Ron posted actually does kind of make me interested, haha.
                            Last edited by Theli; 12-04-2017, 02:56 PM.

Comment

This arrived today, I'm waiting for the companion volume, should be here soon!
                              VT Christmas12062017203642.jpg

Comment

Very cool! You dig up some mighty interesting books.

Comment

Working...
                                X