No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Sunday I attended the annual Vintage Paperback Collector’s Show and contracted The Plague, knocking me out of commission for three of my last few days in beautiful Southern California (I know it was you, mother-#&$#@%. I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you).

But I’m feeling much better now and got some great books signed. Tim Powers signed my Library of America’s American Fantastic Tales. Obsessions and Silver Screams received more sigs, and Subterranean’s Tales of Dark Fantasy got a couple as did their Best of trade editions of Gregory Benford and Larry Niven. My Hartwell-signed 1st edition of The Dark Descent added Etchison’s sig to his story.

Most important is this one. My copy doesn’t have the limitation page but is worth a heck of a lot more to me now than another copy that does have one. Etchison and R.C. Matheson signed their introductions to stories, and Mr. Matheson’s was quite touching, but it was William F. Nolan who brought it home.

I’m standing in line, realizing that because I usually skip intros when reading stories for the first time I’d never actually read the pages I’m about to have signed. I shuffled along and read, getting to Bill Nolan’s intro where it was almost palpable how much he missed his friend; when I stepped up to the man the connection between the two authors was still lingering, solid in the mind. Mr. Nolan gingerly accepted the unjacketed, hefty book, didn’t immediately recognize it, adjusted it to look at the cover, didn’t immediately recognize it, turned it to look at the spine, and a light leapt both into and out of his eyes. He saddened but also livened up considerably. We spoke of the incredible collection and our admiration for the writer whose imagination opened the eyes of the world. He spoke of his friendship with Mr. Beaumont and told a couple of stories, neither of which I recall properly because something was still thick in the air--perhaps the ghost of the monster himself, hand resting lightly on the seated Nolan’s shoulder, saying hello to his old friend. For a moment I was there with them both.

Still one of the greatest books in my collection, now something more:

SAM_5462.jpg

SAM_9693.jpg

SAM_9696.jpg

SAM_9701.jpg

SAM_5471.jpg
    Last edited by bugen; 03-25-2017, 04:43 PM.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Bugen, thanks for sharing that story. What an amazing experience! The signatures are a great addition to such an impressive volume, but with that experience, what a treasured edition it must be now. Congratulations!

Comment

Very nice, Andrew!

Comment

Bugen, very nice...thanks for sharing. I have VOICES as well, and it's an outstanding collection, made better only by what you've done to yours.

As you've gathered from this thread (did you catch my recent signed Charles Beaumont piece?), I'm a huge Beaumont fan as well, and have a Beaumont/Nolan story I can share:

Over the course of two or three years in the '90s, Bill and I used to be fairly consistent pens pals -- back in the days before email took over -- and Beaumont was a very regular topic of conversation -- not unexpected, given my affinity for his work and Bill's love for the man. At one point (and before I had my own two signed (by Beaumont) Beaumont books), he was kind enough to photocopy all the signature pages of the books he'd had personally inscribed to him by his friend, Beaumont, and mail them to me...there are probably close to a dozen, though it's been a while since I've looked at them. I thought that was just an incredible move of generosity on his part, and while time, his changing circumstances (estranged marriage, new residence, etc.), and technology eroded our penpal status, I've never forgotten Bill's act of kindness. They're valueless, of course, but for me that have immense worth...and they're pretty cool, too.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thanks, fellas. And Ron, that's really cool. I believe I caught your Beaumont post (that was for The Hunger, right?). In which other book do you have The Man's signature?

I had no idea the two writers were as close friends as they were until that convention, and though I'm not sure I'll ever see Mr. Nolan again I'll always remember the haunting magic around that moment.
            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
              Thanks, fellas. And Ron, that's really cool. I believe I caught your Beaumont post (that was for The Hunger, right?). In which other book do you have The Man's signature?

I had no idea the two writers were as close friends as they were until that convention, and though I'm not sure I'll ever see Mr. Nolan again I'll always remember the haunting magic around that moment.
              I have Beaumont's signature in a 1st HC of THE HUNGER AND OTHER STORIES, and my more recent acquisition is an inscribed 1st HC of his REMEMBER, REMEMBER.

Yes, he and Nolan were great friends, colleagues, and car racing buddies. By the way, Nolan has written a bio-bibliography of Beaumont, a tpb that's worth picking up. EDIT: Here is a picture of it...it's published by Borgo Press:

51-TQrbGptL._SL500_SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

EDIT 2: Btw, if you haven't already watched it, this recent DVD is well worth the cost of admission:

CB_DVDCover_CreateSpace.jpg
              Last edited by RonClinton; 03-27-2017, 03:14 PM.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Great story Andrew! It's always interesting, and in this case quite heartwarming, to hear of author friendships. Nice to know that not everyone has to be at each others throats in competition with each other.

Comment

Today I received Monster Midway by William L Gresham. Monster Midway is about the world of the carnival and the circus. After learning about this book, I really wanted a copy since it has much info. about carnivals. Lately I have been fascinated by carnivals and have discovered there are many carnivals that travel to this area of California that are completely separate from fairs/state fairs. The book itself seems to be in solid condition and the dustjacket is in much better shape than what I anticipated after viewing the dustjacket at Biblio. I still plan on going to a FedEx Office location to see what it would cost to have this version of the book's dustjacket recreated. This version of the book is from a London publisher and on the front of the dustjacket it reads 2nd Impression. I love it!!

Cap
                  Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I've noticed a bit of trend around here. Seems like Carnival stories have been in fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                      I've noticed a bit of trend around here. Seems like Carnival stories have been in fashion.
                      Someone besides me enjoys that theme? Cap

Comment

I think Bugen had been discussing some lately. And I could be wrong, but I thought a few other titles have popped up. It's an interesting theme and setting for a novel, implying all sorts of intrigue, trickery, illusion, moral ambiguity and colour. I too have been discussing it a bit with a friend of mine actually, comparing Laymon's The Traveling Vampire Show and Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Comment

This is going slightly off topic. I've been interested in carnivals for 3-4 years now. I finally found an online resource that has the names of carnival companies. Usually their name ends with amusement company. Even with the list I found I still had little luck figuring out where carnivals were. A second question was-Do they still exist independent of state fairs? Yes-they do! Where I grew up, a small carnival showed up on the edge of the high school grounds one day and I remember it vividly. I wish I could learn the name of that little carnival. I doubt I'll ever find that info.

Cap (AKA Steve)

Comment

Here in the Portland Oregon area is a group called Funtastic Shows (http://funtasticshows.com/). They are based at an old Drive-in that I went to as a youth. They pop up in parking lots of strip malls in the Portland/Vancouver area. They do some church functions (Octoberfest etc.) and usually set up for between three days and a week. The strip mall set-up always intrigues me. I have stopped and walked the grounds when I spot them. They always seem to be busy.

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                            This is going slightly off topic. I've been interested in carnivals for 3-4 years now. I finally found an online resource that has the names of carnival companies. Usually their name ends with amusement company. Even with the list I found I still had little luck figuring out where carnivals were. A second question was-Do they still exist independent of state fairs? Yes-they do! Where I grew up, a small carnival showed up on the edge of the high school grounds one day and I remember it vividly. I wish I could learn the name of that little carnival. I doubt I'll ever find that info.

Cap (AKA Steve)

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post

Cap (AKA Steve)
                              We have a pretty big one here called The Red River Ex every year, though I've actually never been. Other than that there's a couple smaller ones that blow through town and last for a few days each summer. Not really sure if they are a fair or a carnival, or what the specific difference would be. Been to a few of those in my time.

Coincidentally I just read an article about a self published street person who wrote a book about being a squeegee kid, and another about drug addiction and his newest one coming out is an anthology about his time as a carny over the last 25+ years. The article is below. I'm thinking I might try to track down his books.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...gv0m&ocid=iehp

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                                We have a pretty big one here called The Red River Ex every year, though I've actually never been. Other than that there's a couple smaller ones that blow through town and last for a few days each summer. Not really sure if they are a fair or a carnival, or what the specific difference would be. Been to a few of those in my time.

Coincidentally I just read an article about a self published street person who wrote a book about being a squeegee kid, and another about drug addiction and his newest one coming out is an anthology about his time as a carny over the last 25+ years. The article is below. I'm thinking I might try to track down his books.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...gv0m&ocid=iehp
                                Interesting. Thanks for the link Theli.

Cap

Comment

Working...
                                X