Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugen View Post
    Here are a few picks of the Women Crime Writers books from Library of America. Normally I'll abstain from books that specifically exclude based on race or sex, but this one's different for a number of reasons. And I desperately need to read Laura and In A Lonely Place.

The original set from Barnes and Noble had a damaged slipcase, but I ordered and just received a replacement from LOA. There were a couple of comments about having the books but not the specialized slipcases, so just in case folks weren't aware I wanted to make sure people knew the cases are available directly from LOA for 6$ shipped, a really good deal (just scroll down).

https://loa.org/books/361-american-noir-boxed-set
    https://www.loa.org/books/430-women-...-50s-boxed-set
    https://www.loa.org/books/386-dashie...tion-boxed-set
    https://www.loa.org/books/401-raymon...tion-boxed-set

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19492[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19493[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19494[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19495[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19496[/ATTACH]
    Almost grabbed this a few weeks ago when I saw a copy at Half-Price Books for, I think, $24.98. Although it really appealed to the vintage noir fan in me, the books looked a little heavy on "domestic noir," for lack of a better term, though that slant is certainly understandable, given the era and the sex of the authors, and I've read enough (not much, but enough) Highsmith, Millar, and Hughes to know that that's not really an accurate take on their work. Still, just didn't appeal to me enough for me to pull the trigger on it. Changed my mind a week later, went back, and it was gone. I plan to keep an eye out for another set, as I regret my kneejerk reaction to it and wish now I'd picked it up.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thought I'd post this here, given that I know we have a few members from the Puget Sound area:

Picked this one (photo below) up over the weekend...not a big deal in the scheme of things, worth perhaps five or ten bucks on a good day, but it is one I'd wanted to read for a while.

The special thing -- well, maybe "unfortunate" is a more apt term -- is that it may be the last book I buy from one of my favorite used bookstores in the Seattle area, probably THE favorite, given that while I like visiting U Books and Third Place, I don't often come away with much from those two. The Half-Price Book store in the University District is closing down in late March / early April. I went there this weekend and shelves were being cleared and inventory reduced. I thought, No, this can't be right... But after talking to a couple of employees, it was: The place is being shuttered in about a month. Not sure if it's due to lack of business, or overdue repairs that need to be made to the building, or a planned gentrification, or...??, but whatever reason, it really, really sucks.

For those in the area, this is the two-story HPB on Roosevelt. If you're a plan of the place like me, best get in for a last visit before the doors are locked forever.

Comment

Damn. I always hate seeing bookstores close.

I've only been to the University HPB once since I don't get that far north. My regular store in Tacoma so I spend most of money there. I've been to Tukwila a few times but it's always disappointing.

Have you visited Tacoma Book Center yet? To me, it blows Powells out of the water in regards to finding treasures plus the lack of tourist destination is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
          Hear, hear. Godspeed to all our fallen oracles.
          “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
          -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Have you visited Tacoma Book Center yet? To me, it blows Powells out of the water in regards to finding treasures plus the lack of tourist destination is nice.
            I have been to Tacoma Book Center, yes...probably a dozen times or so. I don't get down south too often, but I'll periodically hit TBC on my way back from a family visit in Oregon (and Powells! )...so I'd guess a dozen times or so over the many years. It's a neat place, a big place stuffed full of books in lots of different rooms...almost a throwback to the great old boookstores of our area (Shorey's, et al), now most gone. I never seem to come away with much, but I have a heckuva fun time browsing there.

Comment

I've seen too many book stores shutter their doors, and it's always a shame. Still a few good ones around here though.

Comment

I've only been to the University HPB once since I don't get that far north. My regular store in Tacoma so I spend most of money there. I've been to Tukwila a few times but it's always disappointing.

Hate to see another book seller close their doors. I feel very fortunate to live in Powell's country. I am not familiar with Tacoma Book Center, I will have to check them out and maybe take a drive up there this summer.

Comment

It's worth the drive!

They remind me of my hometown hardware store - aisles with barely enough room to walk through. Shelves piled to the ceiling. That old bookstore smell.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                  Hate to see another book seller close their doors. I feel very fortunate to live in Powell's country. I am not familiar with Tacoma Book Center, I will have to check them out and maybe take a drive up there this summer.

Comment

Nice! I always try to tell as many book lovers I can about it. Just wish that I discovered it earlier.

Which reminds me, I'm due for another visit.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    I have been to Tacoma Book Center, yes...probably a dozen times or so. I don't get down south too often, but I'll periodically hit TBC on my way back from a family visit in Oregon (and Powells! )...so I'd guess a dozen times or so over the many years. It's a neat place, a big place stuffed full of books in lots of different rooms...almost a throwback to the great old boookstores of our area (Shorey's, et al), now most gone. I never seem to come away with much, but I have a heckuva fun time browsing there.

Comment

When I was in the Army, I would often spend Summers at Ft Lewis working with ROTC Cadets. I always ended up mailing home 2-3 boxes of books, many of them purchased from the Tacoma Book Center.

Comment

That really awesome - small world.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                        When I was in the Army, I would often spend Summers at Ft Lewis working with ROTC Cadets. I always ended up mailing home 2-3 boxes of books, many of them purchased from the Tacoma Book Center.

Comment

I wound up buying the Heritage Press edition of Daisy Miller by Henry James. It's an in between sized book that comes with an inbetween size slipcase. I just couldn't resist when I saw the incredibly good price.

Cap
                          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

You can get some nice Heritage Press books for relatively cheap. I'm not familiar with that particular book though. Still need to read some Henry James.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                              You can get some nice Heritage Press books for relatively cheap. I'm not familiar with that particular book though. Still need to read some Henry James.
                              Yes, I looked on eBay and there are some affordable Heritage Press books. The Daisy Miller book comes with a nicely done insert that includes some info. about the author. In the bookstore where I purchased Daisy Miller I saw other Heritage Press books with these inserts. I gather this was a feature of Heritage Press books.

Cap
                              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I think that used to be more of a practice in general for older fine press books. I've seen (and have) little inserts of varied length (some just a pamphlet, others more like a chapbook) that came with Franklin and Easton press, even some of Reader's Digest's books, like my girlfriend's copy of Robin Hood. I'm not really certain on the purpose of this practice. Why not print it in the book? Cheaper I maybe, and maybe it would get reprinted in later editions. Still seems strange to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X