No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck, Brian! I'll cross my fingers for you as I post this.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
      Good luck, Brian! I'll cross my fingers for you as I post this.
      Thanks, brother! Appreciate it.

Comment

Here's 800 pages of hard science fiction. Previously I'd only read 5 of his stories, and that's enough to know this was a good idea.

SAM_6109.jpg
        -John Barth

Comment

Very nice, Andrew! Looks like a beast of a book. My Goldsboro edition of The Fireman did survive the journey. It was wrapped really well inside of the box.

Comment

I almost bought this but I know nothing about the author so I wasn't sure how'd it go over. On one hand, it could go like Bleeding Shadows did which introduced me to the world of Joe Lansdale, or it could go like a Jack Vance collection did (all from Sub Press oddly enough) where it was beyond painful to read.

Here's 800 pages of hard science fiction. Previously I'd only read 5 of his stories, and that's enough to know this was a good idea.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18802[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
              I almost bought this but I know nothing about the author so I wasn't sure how'd it go over. On one hand, it could go like Bleeding Shadows did which introduced me to the world of Joe Lansdale, or it could go like a Jack Vance collection did (all from Sub Press oddly enough) where it was beyond painful to read.
              I almost grabbed this too. I have on only read Pushing Ice, and it was very, very good hard sci-fi. I suppose I still may consider it. It's a fantastic looking book, and damn.....it's big one too! Reynolds is, at least for me, a modern day Arthur C Clarke.

Comment

Wish I would have grabbed it on the 50% sale, but can't get them all.

Comment

like Bleeding Shadows did which introduced me to the world of Joe Lansdale,
                  That recent release was your first Lansdale? Wow, I envy you the opportunity to read all the Lansdale that's out there for the first time...
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

It was. I recognized the name (probably because of the sheer volume of books Sub Press publishes from him,) but never read him before.

While at a book signing down in the Portland Area (for Jason Gurley,) another author mentioned Lansdale and said he wrote Bubba Ho-Tep which I was VERY familiar with the movie. Grabbed Bleeding Shadows from the Humble Bundle that Sub Press did, and was hooked.

And ever since then (a year-ish now?) I've been reading and acquiring his books. In fact, I received two today (Zepplins West signed trade and For a Few Stories More SN LE.) I'm going to need a new shelf for his books.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    That recent release was your first Lansdale? Wow, I envy you the opportunity to read all the Lansdale that's out there for the first time...

Comment

Well damn, now I'm wishing I grabbed this. Secondary market here I come!

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                      I almost grabbed this too. I have on only read Pushing Ice, and it was very, very good hard sci-fi. I suppose I still may consider it. It's a fantastic looking book, and damn.....it's big one too! Reynolds is, at least for me, a modern day Arthur C Clarke.

Comment

And I just snagged a copy for $23.52 - basically 50% so not pulling the trigger on the Sub Press 50% off sale isn't a missed opportunity. (The trade version, the SN isn't something I need - this is definitely for reading.)

Well damn, now I'm wishing I grabbed this. Secondary market here I come!

Comment

Congrats, that's a steal! Everything I've read from Reynolds has been good but the stories "Minla's Flowers" and "Beyond the Aquila Rift" were incredible. I'm really looking forward to the rest.
                          -John Barth

Comment

Beautiful book and I love that Sub Press does these Best Of volumes, but I'm afraid "hard sci-fi" and I just don't mix. I've read a good number of "soft sci-fi" volumes over my lifetime that I've enjoyed and treasure (e.g. FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON, Bradbury's material, etc.), but there's a definite division between the two that I just can't seem to cross.
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thanks! It had a starting bid of $10; couldn't pass it up and try.

No idea when I'll have a chance to even begin reading this monster but I'm excited about giving it a shot.

Congrats, that's a steal! Everything I've read from Reynolds has been good but the stories "Minla's Flowers" and "Beyond the Aquila Rift" were incredible. I'm really looking forward to the rest.
                              I tell myself that I like scifi, but I've read some that I struggled with. But for $24 it's worth a shot.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                              Beautiful book and I love that Sub Press does these Best Of volumes, but I'm afraid "hard sci-fi" and I just don't mix. I've read a good number of "soft sci-fi" volumes over my lifetime that I've enjoyed and treasure (e.g. FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON, Bradbury's material, etc.), but there's a definite division between the two that I just can't seem to cross.

Comment

No pictures (because I'm lazy and it's not convenient at the moment,) but yesterday my copy of 'Salem's Lot arrived from PS Publishing.

First observation is that DAMN - they know how to pack a book for safety. Wow.

Second - this set is pretty cool looking. I love the three individual books, and now it makes me second guess the decision that I was thinking about making - and that was to stop buying those editions.

Only complaint is that it only has one signature - from the cover artist. Seems a little lacking to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X