X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    You're missing the laserdisc versions!

I have the Criterion CAV version of CEofTK and it's a really good set. Criterion always had the best special features. DVDs used to have some really good supplemental features, but new discs are more and more bare bones today.

I love physical media - I'd rather have it than streaming, especially when it comes to movies. Streaming cannot compare to physical media in terms of quality and bitrate.

When I first started to really appreciate movies, I gravitated towards laserdiscs since they were the only format that offered widescreen. VHS was pan and scan (aka chop and crop) and I wanted the full picture. Nothing quite like watching a 2.35:1 movie ration on our giant 27 inch television . . .

4K UHD should stick around - I don't think we need 8K media. 4K UHD might become niche but it's a great format. Bluray is actually a really format. Heck DVD is great too. We've been watching a lot of old Clint Eastwood westerns that I own on DVD and they still look really good.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Cassettes seem to be back! I have no clue why. Probably similar to how I keep seeing VHS copies of new horror films on Instagram. I have a hard time imagining that anyone would be interest in these, especially at the prices they charge. Having a very cute spokeperson probably helps. (I have no clue if she's an owner or what . . .) I also kind of question of the legality of these things. As more and more movie studies shy away from physical releases (at least giving them the attention they used to) why VHS?
    Yeah, really. Even before DVDs came along, I never bothered buying VHS tapes - I knew the quality wasn't great, and that they'd get worse over time. I can only think of two movies I bought on VHS - Close Encounters, and Terminator 2.

My family didn't even have a VCR until the late '80s, so it's not like we had much of an incentive to buy movies on VHS. They were also crazy expensive back then. I remember Rambo being over $100 when it came out.

I've bought a few of my favorite movies on 4k UHD blu ray, but I'm sure that will be obsolete soon enough too.

Close Encounters is one that I've upgraded every time a new format came out

Close_Encounters.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied

Cassettes seem to be back! I have no clue why. Probably similar to how I keep seeing VHS copies of new horror films on Instagram. I have a hard time imagining that anyone would be interest in these, especially at the prices they charge. Having a very cute spokeperson probably helps. (I have no clue if she's an owner or what . . .) I also kind of question of the legality of these things. As more and more movie studies shy away from physical releases (at least giving them the attention they used to) why VHS?
    Trying to cash in on the nostalgia I guess. It was always fun when the tape deck or VCR decided it was hungry.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    I've seen a lot of those of late. Even a few cassettes which I didn't realize they even made any more.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Not a fan of country, and never paid much attention to her until last year and then something just clicked. And now I'm a little obsessed with her songwriting and herself as a person. She seems like a really good honest person.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Cool. I know the name but my music taste has never ran into the pop and new Country genre's. Still very neat getting something signed by an artist you like. Congrats!

mulleins got it - Taylor Swift (not that it was supposed to be a mystery . . .)

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    I've seen a lot of those of late. Even a few cassettes which I didn't realize they even made any more.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    mulleins got it - Taylor Swift (not that it was supposed to be a mystery . . .)

Leave a comment:

• mulleins
    replied
    Taylor Swift

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Who is the CD from? Cool getting anything signed from an artist.

So this arrived today - not a book - but still pretty fun
    IMG_6340.jpg

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    So this arrived today - not a book - but still pretty fun
    IMG_6340.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    It can get away from you quick if you don't stay on top of it for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Some of these I have had for a bit but have gotten way behind in DJ protection. So I sat down today and started catching up on some of the backlog.

DJ Protecting.jpg

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    My wife is insane for vintage le creuset. As long as a I get a good grilled cheese, I'm good LOL!!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Not a holy grail or anything, but I just bought some new cookware for home. Our current cookware will be 9 years old in January - I'm SURPRISED that this set has last as long as it has, especially considering it's a non-stick set.

This last week I've been obsessing over stainless steel and there's so many options and even more opinions. What to buy?

I just settled on grabbing a set from Misen. Kept stressing about maybe All-Clad, but at more than twice the price, and fairly strong reviews for Misen, I just couldn't do it.

Fingers crossed it works out!
    Not familiar with Misen but I hope they work well for you. I have a few All-Clad items and though expensive they are great quality. My cookware set was my grandfathers and is probably 40 to 50 years old. It is a stainless set that, while well used, is in great condition. They have absolutely no identifying markings so I have no idea who made them. I am sure someone will be using them long after I am gone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X