Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I read my limiteds. Though I do it very very carefully. When I first started collecting I debated with myself if I would or not. I decided to read them. I couldn't bear the thought of all those great stories presented so beautifully going unread.

I really need to pick up some Brodart covers. I keep putting it off because there is only so much money yet so many books to buy...

Leave a comment:

• jhanic
    replied
    I don't read my limiteds. That's what trade editions are for. I do, however, take them out occasionally and page through them, just to admire the artwork, the layout and the quality of the volume.

John

Leave a comment:

• bugen
    replied
    Thank you guys for the comments. Based on what I've read I believe I'll stick with the current plan, which is to protect collectible DJs with Brodart except for slipcased. I barely own any traycased, but they'll remain without mylar. Many, if not all, of your collections far exceed mine, so this was probably the right place to ask.

I like the fact that many of this crowd actually reads the book, though I go back and forth between reading the books on kindle or sometimes another paper copy, reading the collectible, and just smelling/molesting them. When I do read them I think of it as a luxury. I've never read Hell House, but I know Matheson (short stories, pretty much ALL of them), so I picked up the Gauntlet limited a while back. Been reserving this read for a particularly rainy day.

Happy reading, guys, and thanks again.

Oh, and in case any of you missed it, Epic Rap Battle of King vs Poe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56R3hU-fWZY

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    I liken my care for books to a Coen brothers movie: Burn After Reading.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    I don't think putting a Brodart on a dust jacket keeps you from opening your book and smelling/molesting it .

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    Of course I want to keep my collection looking good. But I refuse to treat my books as if they can only be enjoyed by keeping them in pristine condition. In other words: no Brodart covers, no only handling them while wearing gloves. Instead, I read my books, my limiteds (carefully, mind you) - and it's an absolute joy to open, for instance, a lettered King and actually smell the book, enjoy the touch, the texture of the material. That's what books are made for. Also the limited editions.
    Especially those!

sk

Leave a comment:

• bsaenz24
    replied
    If you buy the single serving Brodart covers, make sure you buy the extra wide to make sure it covers tne entire width of the dust jacket. Especially wider books like the 25th Anniversary of IT.

Leave a comment:

• jhanic
    replied
    The jacket protector also does just that--protects the jacket from any unwanted wear, etc.

John

Leave a comment:

• Joe315
    replied
    Originally posted by bugen View Post
    Hi all,

Pretty much a rookie question here. I use Brodart archival covers, and take care to avoid direct sunlight and keep a generally dim environment anyway (PC gamer).

Question is, is it worth protecting slipcased dust jackets in a low-lit environment? These are currently the only collectible books that I don't have protected, besides traycased, but in the back of my mind I'm worrying about the spine fading despite the low light. Is there a general consensus on this, or to each his own?

Thanks!
    As long as it's not a real tight fit I think you'd be ok putting a jacket protector on.

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    Most of the slipcased books I own wouldn't fit into the slipcase with a plastic cover on them anyway. Same with the traycased books. I don't even consider that. and Ssme of my trade HC books have been in direct sunlight for 30+ years and they haven't faded...yet.

Leave a comment:

• bugen
    replied
    Hi all,

Pretty much a rookie question here. I use Brodart archival covers, and take care to avoid direct sunlight and keep a generally dim environment anyway (PC gamer).

Question is, is it worth protecting slipcased dust jackets in a low-lit environment? These are currently the only collectible books that I don't have protected, besides traycased, but in the back of my mind I'm worrying about the spine fading despite the low light. Is there a general consensus on this, or to each his own?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• subie09lega
    replied
    Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
    ... I'm not sure what the best way to remove the dust is. Feather duster works okay but doesn't get it all.
    You can try an air duster, this just moves the dust off the book into the air but it minimizes the amount on the book itself. Just blow it off (don't get the nozzle too close to the books) and then use a Swiffer-type duster to collect it from the shelves.

Leave a comment:

• goathunter
    replied
    Originally posted by jhanic View Post
    I've found that archival plastic bags (like those used for comics) are good at keeping many books in pristine condition.
    I've bagged my books since I first started collecting back in my teens. The books do stay pristine that way. Though the plastic bags detract from the appearance on the shelf, I'd rather see those than imagine all the dust sitting on all the expensive editions I see in people's posted collection photos!

Hunter

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    Originally posted by uturnfilms View Post
    Interested in getting some Brodart Fold On Jacket Covers- which would be the best fit for standard size hardbacks?
    http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jack...Jacket-Covers/
    The ones that I use are completely adjustable, you can get them individually cut or in long sheets that you can cut yourself, practice with an inexpensive used hardback until you really get the hang of it, it's pretty easy once you get used to doing it

Leave a comment:

• uturnfilms
    replied
    Interested in getting some Brodart Fold On Jacket Covers- which would be the best fit for standard size hardbacks?
    http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jack...Jacket-Covers/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X