Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• movpack
    replied
    I wont let this happen if I have to call for such service. What I believe is that you should guide them about your precious stuff so you don't have to suffer from such loss.

Leave a comment:

• RJK1981
    replied
    Thunderstorm Books would also be a good place to buy some books. You could get the new Kealan Patrick Burke novel or some Ronald Kelly stuff.

Leave a comment:

• bstee
    replied
    Actually it will be both. the movers were really the worst ever, they broke a few other items so my wife has check for some furniture and I get to go book shopping. Since The Fall was wasn't dinged too bad, I bought it back from them so I still have my copy and the settlement. I am finally done. Now it is off to Ebay, ABE, of course CD and well shoot who knows where else. I feel like I have a ton to spend, but a month from now I will have book hangover and it will all be gone. Of I could just but a couple lettered copies and it would be done just like that.

Leave a comment:

• divemaster
    replied
    Originally posted by bstee View Post
    But hey, having $4,000 to spend on a book shopping spree is like Christmas. Finally.
    So, no furniture?

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Yes I am happy for you too.You went through alot to get some sort of payment.I still think the moving company should pay you also.

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    Congratulations!!
    I'm really glad this has worked out reasonably well for you.

Enjoy the spree!!

sk

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Glad to hear they are taking care of you.
    Originally posted by bstee View Post
    I got the best news today! I spoke to the claims adjuster, they reviewed the professional appraisal and settled based on my prices - in full. I guess I see why as I looked and see I actually quoted pretty low prices on some, but still, to the penny they paid what I asked for. The only down side was right after the good news, she called back and offered to sell me the damaged books (let me keep them) in exchange for taking half payment. I work in insurance, yes this is legal - basically when an insurance company settles with you they buy they stuff from you. I was very tempted to take half and keep them, but one book was going to cost $1500 to replace on its own and if I took half that would be only $2000 in all. I would be stuck with a bunch of damaged books. So I declined - I told them come pick them up send me $4,000 and I am shopping for books! Unfortunately when I looked at the books I had claimed I realized one is my copy of The Strain. If I give that up then when the matching copy of the Fall arrives I won't have matching numbers. But hey, having $4,000 to spend on a book shopping spree is like Christmas. Finally.

Leave a comment:

• bstee
    replied
    I got the best news today! I spoke to the claims adjuster, they reviewed the professional appraisal and settled based on my prices - in full. I guess I see why as I looked and see I actually quoted pretty low prices on some, but still, to the penny they paid what I asked for. The only down side was right after the good news, she called back and offered to sell me the damaged books (let me keep them) in exchange for taking half payment. I work in insurance, yes this is legal - basically when an insurance company settles with you they buy they stuff from you. I was very tempted to take half and keep them, but one book was going to cost $1500 to replace on its own and if I took half that would be only $2000 in all. I would be stuck with a bunch of damaged books. So I declined - I told them come pick them up send me $4,000 and I am shopping for books! Unfortunately when I looked at the books I had claimed I realized one is my copy of The Strain. If I give that up then when the matching copy of the Fall arrives I won't have matching numbers. But hey, having $4,000 to spend on a book shopping spree is like Christmas. Finally.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    What a pain in the ass. Still hoping it works out for you. Insurance companies can be shameless.

Leave a comment:

• bstee
    replied
    This is hopefully nearing completion. I submitted everything yesterday and it is the third time it has gone in. First I sent in the list of books, description and prices paid and now replacement values so they sent an adjuster out. He came out, took photos and agreed they were all damaged (I ended up claiming only 17 of them, more were damaged but these got it the worst and were all $100+). They then rejected the claim and said I needed to get an estimate on "fixing" each book so they could see if the price was more or less than replacement. For a lot of them they are gold leaf and simply no way to fix. Regardless I tried to explain a "fixed" book will always be worth less than a mint state book.

Still they refused to do anything without statements. I tried everything I could think of and eventually got three high quality book sellers to respond that these types of repairs would deminish values and be quite expensive. I also sent a revised pricelist (one of the books damaged went from $1100 to $1700 in the last few months). Hopefully this will suffice this time. If they offer me a partial settlement and let me keep them, I am happy to let anyone get a great deal on these though most are not the types of books we collect here. The only one from CD was "The Strain" and hopefully I can buy a case to keep my numbering for the trilogy. The only other book that may appeal to folks here is the very first publication of "The Fight Club". It was not a book though. When originally published it was in a self-published art house type collection of short stories. i think it was only about 8 pages long. It is pretty cool but I hoping they take these and just replace them all now. Sorry for the long an winding thread.

Leave a comment:

• jester05jk
    replied
    bstee...

Find them online and print out a page for the most expensive copy you find for sale. Buy the furniture now to get in the wife's good graces but tell her you will be slowly replacing the books. Then you can just sneak in a few extras here and there.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Neither did mine but it was worth a shot.Actually my excuses have now turned into quite the little game between us.I am so lucky she puts up with it.

Leave a comment:

• TerryE
    replied
    Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    You forgot honey the book was $50 but then there was a coupon.Also well this was ordered 2 years ago and is just finally being released..
    Mine didn't believe this one even when it was true. (The recent arrival of "Four Ghosts")

Leave a comment:

• Teriw
    replied
    Well the house is no longer an option at all considering the situation...hopefully once I move many more books WILL be an option.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Well you could buy a house of books.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X