Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tell if your book is a first printing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How to tell if your book is a first printing?

    Is there an easy way to determine the print? I dont know how...I have no idea if ANY of my first are a first print as well.

    #2
    Originally posted by Teriw View Post
    Is there an easy way to determine the print? I dont know how...I have no idea if ANY of my first are a first print as well.
    On the copyright page, there is typically a number line. The lowest number in that number line is the print run. The numbers may not be in order. This doesn't work for all books, but I'd say that it works for most, especially the newer ones.

    Edit: Here the copyright page from my copy of "From a Buick 8". Be warned it's an awful picture.....

    2012-04-05 17.28.38.jpg
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

    Comment


      #3
      Older books dont always have the number line and the firsts always start with a 1, which would also be the lowest number. So I guess I don't understand because then ALL of my first editions would be first print. (except the ones with no number line, most of mine are newer so they do though.)

      Comment


        #4
        It's a lot harder to tell with the older books. Here's a link that should help though.

        http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=imagelimit2
        CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

        Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

        Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          On the copyright page, there is typically a number line. The lowest number in that number line is the print run. The numbers may not be in order. This doesn't work for all books, but I'd say that it works for most, especially the newer ones.

          Edit: Here the copyright page from my copy of "From a Buick 8". Be warned it's an awful picture.....

          [ATTACH=CONFIG]6375[/ATTACH]
          Because I can TOTALLY read that dan. lol

          Comment


            #6
            I just usually google a specific book and match the number line with one that is stated to be a first printing. But then again, I don't do this much since I'm not that big on 1st printings... Yet!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              It's a lot harder to tell with the older books. Here's a link that should help though.

              http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=imagelimit2
              Aren't these just first editions though, not necessarily first print? Or am I missing something

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Teriw View Post
                Aren't these just first editions though, not necessarily first print? Or am I missing something
                It usually states on the page how to tell if it's a first printing or not.
                CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

                Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

                Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

                Comment


                  #9
                  Yea I was checking this out.Thanks to Dan I found out from the web site my first editions start with IT. Not The Dark Half.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    My dark half was confusing me when looking at the first edition thing from the sk website. I didnt know if it needed both of the things listed or just one. I assumed both and have it separate from my firsts.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      On the publishers page it should have a bunch of # in this order1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I must be thinking of another book because the sk website says its a first if it says....."First published in 1979 by the Viking Press" on CP

                        Comment


                          #13
                          oops thats the dead zone. my bad.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Hmmmm.Unless things have changed.I will be doing more research on this.I guess I started something here

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Ok THIS is what the sk page says ...."First published in 1989 by Viking Penguin" on CP
                              "1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2" on CP

                              Mine has the number line but not the first published part

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X