Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tell if your book is a first printing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to help, Teri. Congrats on the 1sts.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Depends on which books we're talking about - generally, I gauge my King collection status (for both US & UK 1st editions) on the sublink information located at the bottom of the SK Collector site (titled "Identify US 1st Editions" and "Identify UK 1st Editions"). That link (and the stephenking.com link have already been covered though .... With other authors (particularly the better known ones) their websites generally have a sublink pointing to identification of their 1st editions.

http://www.skcollector.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Teriw View Post
        Thanks for the help guys. everything makes sense now and I have quite a few that are first/firsts...which is pretty well all my HC's. I am missing a few DJ's though, 3 maybe.
        Way to go Teri - collecting 1st editions is fun stuff !!!!

Comment

Just glanced at a few last night and after seeing a lot online lately they seem to be in much better shape than some. Most damage I have seen is a price stickers. God I hate those...right on the front of the DJ. No tears or scuffs, crisp unworn pages. They're excellent. Even the few older one. My danse is nearly mint...stupid sticker. And christine too...not sure about a sticker on that one.

I will be taking individual pictures to post on Facebook so that mason has referrence for what I already have so I am going to add them to my collection thread as well. Prob sometime over the next few days...with a real camera if I can find bert's(my sister, its a nickname) camera.

Comment

I'm sure if you are careful you can get the stickers off.

Comment

I got it off danse and another I forget which.I couldn't get them off Christine and insomnia without tearing or leaving the glue behind. Turned out that my danse is a bce not a first. I musta have mixed it in by accident after I checked them. Got the pictures done for all the first. Can't post em now though. Gotta cook supper n go get groceries. Later guys

Comment

I've heard that a product called Un-Du works well in removing glue residue. Haven't tried it my self though.

Comment

Check out:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ers-from-Books

There are lots of good tips there.

John

Comment

Even from glossy paper though? I'm not too worried about it considering what I got all those books for.(nothing! and the boyfriend paid $100 for what is pretty well my whole collection of about 30 books)

Comment

That's what I heard. I think its easier to clean glossy because the paper isn't porous. but you could always test on a book or something you don't care about ruining.

From what I saw Un-du is made for scrap booking pages so it should be relatively safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Teriw View Post
                        Just glanced at a few last night and after seeing a lot online lately they seem to be in much better shape than some. Most damage I have seen is a price stickers. God I hate those...right on the front of the DJ. No tears or scuffs, crisp unworn pages. They're excellent. Even the few older one. My danse is nearly mint...stupid sticker. And christine too...not sure about a sticker on that one.

I will be taking individual pictures to post on Facebook so that mason has referrence for what I already have so I am going to add them to my collection thread as well. Prob sometime over the next few days...with a real camera if I can find bert's(my sister, its a nickname) camera.
                        Stickers are easy to get off. coat the sticker with Goo Gone and let it soak in for a few minutes. GG will disolve the crusted glue of the sticker. Then carefully peel /scrape it off. The process takes about 15 minutes. I've rescued some great bookjackets by doing that!
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

You gonna send me some goo gone squire? and did joe just say to test it on a book I dont care about ruining? Where would I find one of those? lol. Maybe I'll get Grant to send me one of his Koontz books to test it on. haha

Comment

This stuff works. I've used it on all my SK covers from Bookstores.

http://www.amazon.ca/Goo-Gone-Remove...3865666&sr=1-1

Never tried it on a DJ like the ones from subterranean press, tho.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Did u even intentionally check amazon.CA for me too? I glance at it n im like I wonder if I can even get it...then realized it was the right one already. But I refuse to pay $16 for shipping on something like that. I can prob get the same or similar thing in walmart or Canadian Tire, I'd pay more no doubt but not when you count in the shipping.

Comment

Yes, I did check amazon.ca just for you, TEri. In a few days, you should know why....

Besides, this forum wouldn't be the same without you!
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X