Clear All

• Martin
    replied
    The opening bid on this one seams reasonable, if the book is as described:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALEMS-LOT-S...item51b1ed66db

Leave a comment:

• T-Dogz_AK47
    replied
    I have again searched Abe Books, Betts Books and Ebay for this title and still cannot find a copy anywhere near the $200 mark.

Your best chance of securing a reasonably priced copy would be the one currently listed on Ebay. See link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Salems-Lot-L...item1e7f3fce34

The seller has reduced the 'Buy It Now' price from $449.99 to $355.49 and will consider a 'best offer' bid.

The only downside is that the book has a few "damp stains," which is probably why it has reduced in price.

Good luck with this though. It is a very good book if you can get it.
    Last edited by T-Dogz_AK47; 09-08-2013, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Joe315
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommy View Post
    Yeah, I get all that but my point is why not have the reserve price as your minimum starting bid? keeping the reserve price secret or hidden seems sneaky to me, like as mentioned before, it is bait to lure the fish in with
    I am selling something currently that I have put a reserve on. I am using it because I am not 100% of what the book is actually worth so I wanted to test the waters and this is a good way of doing it. I didn't want to set an auction and only get $15 for the book when it is worth $250. If someone gets close to it the reserve I will probably offer it to them for whatever there high bid was.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    Yeah, I get all that but my point is why not have the reserve price as your minimum starting bid? keeping the reserve price secret or hidden seems sneaky to me, like as mentioned before, it is bait to lure the fish in with

Leave a comment:

• RJK1981
    replied
    I don't see a problem with using reserve prices. I also don't really see it as sneaky at all since it is not hidden that there is a reserve price. I've never used it, but have no issues with those who do use it. I see it as being useful to use at times. I know I sure as hell would use a reserve amount if I were to sell some of my things, like my limited of IT. That way, if it didn't get to the minimum I want for it, then I'd have the option of keeping it for myself until I can get whatever that price is. I would never avoid bidding on something just because someone has a reserve price. If the reserve is more than I would be able to pay or willing to pay, then oh well, I won't meet the reserve price. I won't bid more just to meet the reserve.

Leave a comment:

• T-Dogz_AK47
    replied
    The listing on Ebay has now finished. The copy of Salem's Lot sold for $292.87 with the reserve finally being met, after 12 bids.

With an opening starting price of only $50.00, this seller has given a very good demonstration of why sellers use a reserve price as a bait to lure people in...

Leave a comment:

• T-Dogz_AK47
    replied
    The listing on Ebay has over 3 days left to run but already has 8 bids placed and has exceeded $200, yet the reserve price has still not been met.

As predicted, the bidding war has started after the seller used a bait tactic to lure people in...

Leave a comment:

• jhanic
    replied
    If it's something I want, I'll bid on it. If I don't meet the reserve, so be it. I've had instances, though, where, although I didn't meet the reserve, the seller offered it to me at my bid price. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

John

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    That makes a sneaky sort of sense, and since I don't care for sneaky people, I will probably never bid on something with a reserve price, I mean just because I am stupid doesn't mean I should manipulated as such

Leave a comment:

• T-Dogz_AK47
    replied
    Indeed, I did not notice the reserve price when I posted the link and furthermore, I don't really get reserve prices or rather the thinking behind them, how exactly does it benefit a seller? why not just start the bidding at the reserve price?
    I think the seller is trying to entice the maximum amount of people to place a bid and so start a bidding war that may end up exceeding the reserve price.

Reserve pricing is a sly tactic. Say a seller wants to sell a book for $500, but knows that listing the starting bid at that price may not attract any interest because it's too pricey. The seller chooses the option to list it very cheaply with a reserve price attached (so there is no risk) and wait for the bidding war to start.

At first people think they are onto a bargain, the reality is that the seller is reeling people in like fish....

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    Originally posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    The seller has placed a reserve price, so grabbing a bargain may not be straightforward.
    Indeed, I did not notice the reserve price when I posted the link and furthermore, I don't really get reserve prices or rather the thinking behind them, how exactly does it benefit a seller? why not just start the bidding at the reserve price?

Leave a comment:

• T-Dogz_AK47
    replied
    Found a newly listed one on ebay currently at $91 but I imagine that will go up

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALEMS-LOT-b...item3cd513275c
    The seller has placed a reserve price, so grabbing a bargain may not be straightforward.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    Originally posted by thegunslinger41 View Post
    Looking to pay around $200 for a VF copy of Salem's Lot published by Centipede Press.

Thank you.
    Found a newly listed one on ebay currently at $91 but I imagine that will go up

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALEMS-LOT-b...item3cd513275c

Leave a comment:

• Scoogs
    replied
    The unsigned edition is bound in regular book cloth, it's fairly easy to clean if dust gets on it.
    Just get a kneaded eraser(press in onto the cloth, don't rub) or a lint roller, problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• thegunslinger41
    replied
    You are right!

Originally posted by Scoogs View Post
    Correct, there were several versions of the signed edition:
    •300 limited edition copies signed/numbered 1-300 in black
    •80 limited edition copies signed/numbered 1-80 in red
    •15 deluxe leather copies signed/numbered I-XV in black
    •10 deluxe leather copies signed/numbered I-X in red

The regular signed edition has been selling anywhere from $1000 to $2000 (actual selling prices, not just listing prices).
    A black roman numeral signed copy(one of 15) just sold for $6000 on August 1st.
    A red numbered copy sold for $3500 in June.

The gift editions are all over the place.
    I've seen a couple of them that did actually sell in that $400 to $600 range, but those included the extra set of prints and the traycase from the Collector. If you don't want those and are looking for just the book, $200 to $300 is possible with patience.

A lot of them are listed at high prices, but with a couple of rare exceptions, they haven't actually been fetching those prices.
    You are right to differentiate between listed prices and actual price at which these books are selling.

G

Leave a comment:

Working...
X