No announcement yet.

Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not trying to make anyone upset, but what makes the unsigned edition of DUNE worth so much money?

Comment

Jerad makes great books. I can't speak to the signature issue.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic View Post
        Not trying to make anyone upset, but what makes the unsigned edition of DUNE worth so much money?
        Premium materials, liberal use of art, foldout map, premium case, additional extras, attention to detail, etc.

But if you mean as far as the aftermarket goes -- then it has to be supply and demand. People who love DUNE and have the available funds want the best edition possible to match their fanaticism for the work, and the Centipede edition will certainly be the best edition. The Folio edition was arguably the most premium edition until now, but the Centipede edition will far surpass that earlier volume. Given the massive fan base that DUNE has and the comparatively small number of Centipede copies (500 signed, 200 unsigned), the demand already outstrips supply...and once news of the edition spreads among those who may not have been aware of it (of which I'm sure there are many, since the small-press scene reflects a small portion of the total base of genre readers who may not collect, per se, but do want special editions of their favorite works), the demand will be even higher for the same small number of copies. My guess is that it won't take long for the unsigned copies at $600 to reach $1000...people likely factored that eventuality, along with the aforementioned production elements, into their $600 purchasing decision as well. Numbered copies, since they represent an entry point (w/ rights) and first-volume foundation for collecting the series, should see an even greater increase in value...it'll be interesting to see where it goes.
        Last edited by RonClinton; 10-25-2021, 11:36 PM.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

No matter what the book was or what it was made of, i guarantee that if i bought it the book would go down in value as soon as i received it!

Comment

Signed edition of Dune on eBay is already at over $2500 with three bids. Holy biscuits.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              Signed edition of Dune on eBay is already at over $2500 with three bids. Holy biscuits.
              $2574 now, with 9 days to go. A lot can happen in 9 days...I'm keeping an eye on this one to see where it ends up.

Comment

It's almost obscene........

Comment

Okay, it's been like two months since I posted that I had two new Centipede Press titles on the way. October and November both were jam packed with busy-ness so I haven't had a chance to post these.

The first is Man Drowning by Henry Kuttner. I've been eyeing this for a long time and initially lost on an eBay auction. Luckily, there was an issue with the winner so I got a Second Chance Offer from the seller and jumped on it. It's still in shrinkwrap, which I normally remove, but since I'm moving I'm not going to take it out until I unpack.

Comment

The second book is the Edgar Allan Poe volume in the Centipede Press's Library of Weird Fiction. Stumbled on this on ABE and it was in my range for these titles, so I snagged it. Also still in shrinkwrap waiting to be removed. Very excited to add this one to the collection even though the aftermarket prices for these titles are slightly ridiculous. Now that I have Poe, Hodgson, and Lovecraft, I'm only missing the Blackwood volume to complete my set.

Comment

The second book is the Edgar Allan Poe volume in the Centipede Press's Library of Weird Fiction. Stumbled on this on ABE and it was in my range for these titles, so I snagged it. Also still in shrinkwrap waiting to be removed. Very excited to add this one to the collection even though the aftermarket prices for these titles are slightly ridiculous. Now that I have Poe, Hodgson, and Lovecraft, I'm only missing the Blackwood volume to complete my set.
                      Congrats on your new adds! On the Hodgson you mention: That hasn't been offered yet in the LIBRARY version yet, has it? I see it waiting on the forthcoming, and hope to pounce on a copy. I know his MotWT edition has been out for quite some time, but the smaller and cheaper LIBRARY...I sure hope I'm right that that one's still to come.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Congrats on your new adds! On the Hodgson you mention: That hasn't been offered yet in the LIBRARY version yet, has it? I see it waiting on the forthcoming, and hope to pounce on a copy. I know his MotWT edition has been out for quite some time, but the smaller and cheaper LIBRARY...I sure hope I'm right that that one's still to come.
                        Thanks! I’m excited to have both and can’t wait to read them.

The Hodgson was one of the first four that were offered by Centipede. The upcoming is the Frank Belknap Long, which I’m also excited for because I can’t afford the prices on the MotWT volume.

Comment

Thanks! I’m excited to have both and can’t wait to read them.

The Hodgson was one of the first four that were offered by Centipede. The upcoming is the Frank Belknap Long, which I’m also excited for because I can’t afford the prices on the MotWT volume.
                          Oh, that’s right — not sure how I got Hodgson and Long confused.

I still get queasy when I remember I passed a few years ago on the opportunity to get the first four LIBRARY volumes — Poe, Lovecraft, Hodgson, and Blackwood — for $100. Total. $25 a piece.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Oh, that’s right — not sure how I got Hodgson and Long confused.

I still get queasy when I remember I passed a few years ago on the opportunity to get the first four LIBRARY volumes — Poe, Lovecraft, Hodgson, and Blackwood — for $100. Total. $25 a piece.
                            That’s such a good price. I’m paying more than double that for one volume at this point. Sorry you have regrets. I have those that haunt me too.

Comment

So I guess $3k is the current going rate for DUNE. I’ve seen three sales on eBay go for $3k or higher. Insane. I’m sure this will calm down after all the books get out into the wild, but still…

Comment

So I guess $3k is the current going rate for DUNE. I’ve seen three sales on eBay go for $3k or higher. Insane. I’m sure this will calm down after all the books get out into the wild, but still…
                                Am assuming that’s for the signed/numbered edition?

Comment

Working...
                                X