Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Fantastic pic, Mike -- always great to see Grant's name remembered and his work valued, and so many interested buyers -- most, presumably, fans -- this morning. Fortunately, I'm able to count myself among them, and am really looking forward to receiving it and someday soon revisiting his work.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Grant A.jpg
     The Grant MOWT and a few others.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Holy crap! The Charles Grant Masters of the Weird Tale sold out FAST. I couldn’t even get the website to load before it sold out. I hope everyone who wanted one got one.
    I don't feel so bad checking on it hours later. Went to see the new Spider-Verse movie, so I didn't get home until a few afters it went on sale. Besides, the cover price was a bit steep for a blind buy.

Regardless, it looks like a great book and congrats to those who got one.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Holy crap! The Charles Grant Masters of the Weird Tale sold out FAST. I couldn’t even get the website to load before it sold out. I hope everyone who wanted one got one.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by JeremyM View Post
    I see the thumbnail for John Brunner's 'The Shockwave Rider' is up on the CP site, projecting a Sept release. The cover looks great, I look forward to seeing the rest of the illustrations.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shockwave_Rider

MeToo!

Leave a comment:

• JeremyM
    replied
    I see the thumbnail for John Brunner's 'The Shockwave Rider' is up on the CP site, projecting a Sept release. The cover looks great, I look forward to seeing the rest of the illustrations.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

Wow. Thanks for that post with the background as to that particular image cover. Granted I only took a superficial look at it, but even if I spent an hour staring at the thing, I probably wouldn't have pulled together the thought process in the quote you posted. I definitely appreciate the piece a lot more. Thanks again for posting that!
    Same here -- thanks, Ron, I had no idea of the influences Whelan incorporated, let alone that the whole thing was largely inspired by Jimi Hendrix!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by swintek View Post
    Oh man, can't wait for that Grant collection - looks like a particularly nice one- even for this series' already high standards. Thanks for the post and pics SM. And, also thanks to Ron for the great Whelan posts. I, too, have (and love) those UM HORRORSTORY collections (and, also like you, have been long-perplexed by the absence of volumes 1 & 2- I think UM folded before they could get to them, but I can't remember why they worked backwards, from Vol 5...). My fav cover of the 3 was always Volume 5 (originally from KEW's seminal YBHS Vol X, of course), which I believe is titled "Destroying Angel"... and a quick google confirms my memory (yay!), but also yields this amazing bit of Behind The Scenes info from Whelan about the piece (from his twitter):https://twitter.com/whelanmichael/st...38099062452229

"Don Wollheim saw the possibilities in the concept better than I did and selected it to develop for the cover.

For an allegory on the use of opium and its derivatives, specifically heroin, I posed the Angel of Death amid a field of poppies, offering a false mask of friendship.

He is accompanied by diverse symbols and various accoutrements of the drug user.

He wears on his head a single wing, representing false freedom of thought and the illusion of flight, and he wears a crown of Destroying Angel mushrooms.

The tree is meant to suggest the dendritic branching of blood vessels, but it is withered. And the background consists of a purple haze--a reference to the reason I got to ruminating on the whole subject to begin with, the death of Jimi Hendrix."

I found all that incredible! I've always just really dug the image (and title- which makes a hell of a lot more sense now), but had no idea about all of the drug references in it. Fascinating.
    Wow. Thanks for that post with the background as to that particular image cover. Granted I only took a superficial look at it, but even if I spent an hour staring at the thing, I probably wouldn't have pulled together the thought process in the quote you posted. I definitely appreciate the piece a lot more. Thanks again for posting that!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Here's Volume 3, probably my favorite of the three covers:
    wagner3.jpg
    That is an amazing cover!

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    Oh man, can't wait for that Grant collection - looks like a particularly nice one- even for this series' already high standards. Thanks for the post and pics SM. And, also thanks to Ron for the great Whelan posts. I, too, have (and love) those UM HORRORSTORY collections (and, also like you, have been long-perplexed by the absence of volumes 1 & 2- I think UM folded before they could get to them, but I can't remember why they worked backwards, from Vol 5...). My fav cover of the 3 was always Volume 5 (originally from KEW's seminal YBHS Vol X, of course), which I believe is titled "Destroying Angel"... and a quick google confirms my memory (yay!), but also yields this amazing bit of Behind The Scenes info from Whelan about the piece (from his twitter):https://twitter.com/whelanmichael/st...38099062452229

"Don Wollheim saw the possibilities in the concept better than I did and selected it to develop for the cover.

For an allegory on the use of opium and its derivatives, specifically heroin, I posed the Angel of Death amid a field of poppies, offering a false mask of friendship.

He is accompanied by diverse symbols and various accoutrements of the drug user.

He wears on his head a single wing, representing false freedom of thought and the illusion of flight, and he wears a crown of Destroying Angel mushrooms.

The tree is meant to suggest the dendritic branching of blood vessels, but it is withered. And the background consists of a purple haze--a reference to the reason I got to ruminating on the whole subject to begin with, the death of Jimi Hendrix."

I found all that incredible! I've always just really dug the image (and title- which makes a hell of a lot more sense now), but had no idea about all of the drug references in it. Fascinating.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    ...and here's the cover to Volume 5:
    wagenr5.jpg

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Here's Volume 3, probably my favorite of the three covers:
    wagner3.jpg

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    D'oh. Ron, you are completely right. I just assumed that it was original artwork for the edition, which is my bad. Thank you for the clarification. I will, however, stand by my comment that I love the artwork.
    No disagreement there...those HORRORSTORY series volumes from U/M had fantastic art, each and every one (though I recall there was only three, with oddly vols. 3, 4, and 5 the only ones appearing, no vols 1 and 2...can't remember the why/story on that one), so since Centipede decided to recycle art this time around for that second volume, they couldn't have chosen better than from that series -- this one being from Volume 4.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    D'oh. Ron, you are completely right. I just assumed that it was original artwork for the edition, which is my bad. Thank you for the clarification. I will, however, stand by my comment that I love the artwork.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    ...and:
    wagner2.JPG

Leave a comment:

Working...
X