Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    So I’m headed down to my bookstore in a day or two to get Clarke’s CITY AND THE STARS.

So now I gotta decide, do I get that S/L of the Leiber Volume 2 for $80 to flip for 2x or 3x $$? Decisions, decisions...

Oh, and I didn’t even mention the S/L of Centipede’s STAND ON ZANZIBAR they also have...? Not priced as nice as the Leiber or Clarke, but I think I could get 2x on a flip. But unlike the Leiber, it’s not part of a series I don’t want to collect, so I fear it’d be tougher to part with, but I really can’t afford to buy it to keep.

It’s tough being a Centipede collector on a budget that is all too finite...
    Seriously, how the hell are you finding Centipede titles in a physical bookstore?? I've only ever seen small press titles in The Strand in NYC, and that was in their pricier Rare Books room.

Way too cool!

Comment

I saw a couple of Centipede titles at Dark Delicacies in Burbank, CA, including a copy of THE CADAVER OF GIDEON WYCK. I think they wanted like $100 for it. I should have picked it up, but I wasn't a big Centipede fan at that time. The also had a couple copies of IN CONCERT by the Tems which I already had a copy of, but they were selling them for like $40 if I remember correctly and was tempted to buy and flip. But that's the only time I've seen small press titles in a bookstore.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
        I don't think the Hjortsberg titles were exclusive pre-order, I'm fairly certain I nabbed a set during an open pre-order period. They just went very fast.
        Yeah, I wasn't too sure about if they had made to open order or not. I just remember them being GONE.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

Seriously, how the hell are you finding Centipede titles in a physical bookstore?? I've only ever seen small press titles in The Strand in NYC, and that was in their pricier Rare Books room.

Way too cool!
          Yeah, I have no idea why these titles are there. In the past (and currently) they’ve had/have items from CD, PS Pub. (they have the boxed THE STAND right now, in fact) and Subterranean, plus Easton and Folio and some other interesting publishers, but this is the first time I’ve seen Centipede titles. This is not a specialty bookstore ala Dark Delicacies, so, again, no idea why, but I hope more are to come!
          Last edited by RonClinton; 10-26-2020, 05:14 PM.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

It's been my experience that non-specialty stores like that end up with the sorts of books we collect because someone passed away and their heirs didn't know enough to look for a specialty store or put them up on Ebay.

Remember, folks, if you care about what happens to your stuff after you pass, leave some instructions.

Comment

I am talking used here bit I occasionally run across Centipede titles at Powell's. Can't say I have seen any recently, of course I believe I have been in a Powell's location twice this year. A quick search on their website shows that they are currently out of stock on Centipede titles.
              https://www.powells.com/searchresult...20press&mpp=50

They do have a decent list of CD titles in stock, both new and used.
              https://www.powells.com/searchresult...20dance&mpp=50

Comment

I thought I'd give a quick update to my handwringing situation of a few days ago, r.e. the Centipede titles available at my local bookstore and my plans to buy or not, to flip or not, to keep or not...

I ended up buying the signed/#d HC of Clarke's THE CITY AND THE STARS -- in fact, I spoke to the manager and was able to get 1/3 taken off the posted price since they didn't have the second signed/#d book in the two-book set, AGAINST THE FALL OF NIGHT, though both titles were listed on the price tag...their theory is that the ISBN automatically listed both titles, since the other book was not in their inventory. In any event, in light of the erroneously marked price tag, that price reduction brought CITY AND STARS down from a friendly price to a very, very friendly price. I ended up making a deal with forum member Splync to get the unsigned trade of AGAINST THE FALL OF NIGHT, so that my lonely solo book can once again be partnered with its (unsigned and unnumbered) companion.

I passed on both the signed/#d Vol. 2 of the Leiber Farhad series and, as well, the signed/#d of STAND ON ZANZIBAR. I'm sure I could have made money with both, priced as they were at the bookstore, but 1). I didn't have the faith in my own restraint that I could flip 'em with cold, dispassionate purpose and not keep them, so I thought it was best to not tempt myself, and 2). I just wasn't in the mind or mood to drop that kind of $$ today, given some recent non-book expenses...the Leiber would've been okay, but $300 or $350 for the ZANZIBAR just wasn't in the mental cards. Occasionally this place will have 40% off sales (in fact, that's how I managed to get my signed Cormac McCarthy 1st HC of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN w/ event flyer provenance), so I'll just keep those two books in the back of my mind and watch for future special sales.

Comment

Good job Playa LOL!

Comment

I thought I'd give a quick update to my handwringing situation of a few days ago, r.e. the Centipede titles available at my local bookstore and my plans to buy or not, to flip or not, to keep or not...

I ended up buying the signed/#d HC of Clarke's THE CITY AND THE STARS -- in fact, I spoke to the manager and was able to get 1/3 taken off the posted price since they didn't have the second signed/#d book in the two-book set, AGAINST THE FALL OF NIGHT, though both titles were listed on the price tag...their theory is that the ISBN automatically listed both titles, since the other book was not in their inventory. In any event, in light of the erroneously marked price tag, that price reduction brought CITY AND STARS down from a friendly price to a very, very friendly price. I ended up making a deal with forum member Splync to get the unsigned trade of AGAINST THE FALL OF NIGHT, so that my lonely solo book can once again be partnered with its (unsigned and unnumbered) companion.

I passed on both the signed/#d Vol. 2 of the Leiber Farhad series and, as well, the signed/#d of STAND ON ZANZIBAR. I'm sure I could have made money with both, priced as they were at the bookstore, but 1). I didn't have the faith in my own restraint that I could flip 'em with cold, dispassionate purpose and not keep them, so I thought it was best to not tempt myself, and 2). I just wasn't in the mind or mood to drop that kind of $$ today, given some recent non-book expenses...the Leiber would've been okay, but $300 or $350 for the ZANZIBAR just wasn't in the mental cards. Occasionally this place will have 40% off sales (in fact, that's how I managed to get my signed Cormac McCarthy 1st HC of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN w/ event flyer provenance), so I'll just keep those two books in the back of my mind and watch for future special sales.
                    Just reading this gave my anxiety a boost. We've all had similar experiences I'm sure when it comes to purchasing or not purchasing a book.

Comment

Very good deal with THE CITY AND THE STARS, especially with that extra third off! Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Very good deal with THE CITY AND THE STARS, especially with that extra third off! Congratulations!
                        Thanks. This Clarke book sure is a purdy one, and the somewhat oversized format that Centipede uses for their Sci-Fi titles makes it appear additionally impressive.

Comment

Got an Invoice the other day from Jerad, four titles, including Nifft the Lean and The Elric book, Revenge of the Rose. Something Wicked this Way Comes is also in the que this fall. No impulse buys anytime soon, I have to cover my bills LOL! Hope everybody had a good Halloween.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                            Got an Invoice the other day from Jerad, four titles, including Nifft the Lean and The Elric book, Revenge of the Rose. Something Wicked this Way Comes is also in the que this fall. No impulse buys anytime soon, I have to cover my bills LOL! Hope everybody had a good Halloween.
                            Congrats -- lots of great books coming your way! I'm still debating about the unsigned NIFFT THE LEAN, copies of which still remain...I don't like fantasy or sword-and-sorcery, so skipped the Leiber and Elric (sp?) series, but this Shea collection is just different enough, just dark enough, that it's given me pause. I'd considered, in fact, the signed/numbered, but missed the message to notify early interest...now just can't seem to decide about this unsigned one. Maybe that's the sign that I need to back away...if it's not of enough reading interest to have me immediately pull the trigger (as I do on those Centipede releases that truly interest me), then maybe that tells me what I need to know.

Comment

A member of the CP group on Facebook is reporting that he asked Jerad when Dune is expected to ship and was told January.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                                A member of the CP group on Facebook is reporting that he asked Jerad when Dune is expected to ship and was told January.
                                That’s fine by me. My pocketbook needs a little break.

Comment

Working...
                                X