X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Full Circle!  Guess what arrived today?  Haffner's Omnibus editions of Manly Wade Wellman's John the Balladeer look fantastic.  I was worried about the font size, that can be an issue sometimes with anthologies/omnibus titles, not an issue here.  Artwork looks good, cover art looks good.  He included extra book jackets, that was nice.  I would say, it was worth the wait(almost 3 years) and $100.00 price tag.  I'm not letting him off the hook for horrible customer service and virtually non-existent communication.  He will never get another pre-order from me, but I might in-stock titles directly from him or Zuber.  I have really cut back on pre-orders.
    Did you receive a shipping notice beforehand, or did they just arrive? I've been holding off on contacting Haffner to ask about my order status per their last newsletter; so, I'm glad to see that someone has received their copy. Gives me hope that mine might eventually be on the way! 

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

Full Circle!  Guess what arrived today?  Haffner's Omnibus editions of Manly Wade Wellman's John the Balladeer look fantastic.  I was worried about the font size, that can be an issue sometimes with anthologies/omnibus titles, not an issue here.  Artwork looks good, cover art looks good.  He included extra book jackets, that was nice.  I would say, it was worth the wait(almost 3 years) and $100.00 price tag.  I'm not letting him off the hook for horrible customer service and virtually non-existent communication.  He will never get another pre-order from me, but I might in-stock titles directly from him or Zuber.  I have really cut back on pre-orders.
    Very nice. I still haven't pulled the trigger on this as I have the Night Shade set, which I believe has all the short fiction (but lacks the novels these reprint) -- but I really should give these serious reconsideration, as I know I'm going to regret not going for them.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

I did pre-order a copy of Haffner's The Complete John the Balladeer. I'm a sucker for those Wellman titles. I also have the Nightshade set. One of the best they did, I think.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Thanks, guys. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing out on one.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Am I correct that there was no newsletter this week?
    Correct, no newsletter this week.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    I didn’t get one either.

I think Jerad is doing a big newsletter the first Sunday of the month, and then smaller, announcement oriented newsletters throughout the month as needed.

B

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Am I correct that there was no newsletter this week?

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    EDIT: Moved to eBay (oh, and when I took them off the shelf to photograph them for the auction, it turns out the numbers of the two Centipede volumes were not matching, after all). Still feel free to make me an offer here (not eBay) if interested.

Before I put these books up on eBay, I thought I'd check here and see if anyone is interested in my three ENDER'S books by Orson Scott Card:

SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD and ENDER'S WAY, both Centipede signed and numbered editions, both unread and in Fine/Fine condition, each in capped slipcase as issued, and with matching numbers. Both are unread...I carefully flipped through each of these beautiful productions to admire the craftsmanship and artwork before shelving them behind the glass of my lawyer's/barrister's bookcase, but both remain unread and pristine. It's time to admit that I'm probably never going to read these, and I already have one Centipede SF series (DUNE) that I'm buying with little likelihood of reading any time soon, so it's time to free up some shelf space and cash. Rights go with these, should Jerad publish any other Card books, as I won't be buying them...time, I think, to admit SF really isn't my bag.

I also have ENDER'S GAME, a signed Easton Press HC, in dark blue leather with gold page gilt, ribbon bookmark, in Fine condition, signed and with all the usual CoA stuff Easton issues. I did read this one before shelving it behind glass, but did so carefully and the binding is still tight and the book presents as unread.

The only signed and slipcased Centipede set I see on eBay at the moment is priced at $900 for SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD and ENDER'S WAY. That seems high to me...if interested, make me a reasonable offer for the three-book set and let's show that overpriced eBay seller how it's done.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 09-12-2023, 12:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by swintek View Post
    Well, darnit, Ron- unfortunately, I'd have to call those impressions "flaws", as slight as they may be. I'm sorry to say that I just wouldn't be comfortable with those. I do appreciate you checking it first and showing me here exactly what you have. I'm sure the picture shows worse than the casual eye (especially mine these days), but I really do want as "perfect" a copy as possible.

*edited to add: those red dots don't bother me a bit. But, the impressions probably would, unfortunately.
    Don’t blame you a bit, Ron — what I found on my copy is a surprise and disappointment to us both. Thanks anyway for the shot at the trade.

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    Well, darnit, Ron- unfortunately, I'd have to call those impressions "flaws", as slight as they may be. I'm sorry to say that I just wouldn't be comfortable with those. I do appreciate you checking it first and showing me here exactly what you have. I'm sure the picture shows worse than the casual eye (especially mine these days), but I really do want as "perfect" a copy as possible.

*edited to add: those red dots don't bother me a bit. But, the impressions probably would, unfortunately.
    Last edited by swintek; 08-27-2023, 07:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    …and now I note two tiny light red dots on the side page block. This all surprises me…one, Centipede’s QC is typically higher than this, and I’m usually better at catching issues of this sort. Must’ve just glanced at it and shelved it. Hate to say it, but I think you might need to take Splync up on his offer, assuming his has no such issues.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

Ron, no slipcase, but still mint, sealed. I picked it up on his sale page awhile back for a good price. Yes, trading for a small one may be lopsided, but as you guess- I would like a matched set of any further Jackson books, including "Castle"- in the smaller trim size. This is really my main reason- I just prefer the smaller trim size. I had meant to pick one up at $100 when they came out, but one thing after another and they were sold out before I could. Last I checked- I had a hard time finding a mint copy of the smaller edition for under $200. That may be different now, but I ain't even looking because I put the deal here and will stand by it if anyone wants to swap. I'll give you first shot, Ron since you asked first, but if the no slipcase sours it for you then Splync can have the option. I do need a very fine copy of the smaller edition in exchange, no flaws. Let me know.
    Ron, yes, I’d enjoy doing the trade with you, and the lack of slipcase is not a concern. I’m not certain I’ll be picking up CASTLE, so matching trim size is also not a concern for me.

I did not read my copy of HOUSE, so it’s as I received it from the publisher and I’d describe it as Fine/Fine, as-new. However, upon thumbing through it for you to ensure I didn’t miss/forget anything, I was surprised to note a very slight impression that affects the first three pages…it’s slight and is not a crease, but is some sort of impression, for lack of a better term…I’ll try to attach a photo. It’s otherwise F/F. If this is acceptable then we can move forward…if not, I understand as it’s not what I would call a pristine copy.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Ron, does it have its slipcase, and is it and the book in Fine condition? I’d certainly be interested in trading with you — but I'm curious, why are you looking at making a lopsided trade like that? Are you just trying to match the two smaller-sized editions, once the smaller of WHALITC is released?
    Ron, no slipcase, but still mint, sealed. I picked it up on his sale page awhile back for a good price. Yes, trading for a small one may be lopsided, but as you guess- I would like a matched set of any further Jackson books, including "Castle"- in the smaller trim size. This is really my main reason- I just prefer the smaller trim size. I had meant to pick one up at $100 when they came out, but one thing after another and they were sold out before I could. Last I checked- I had a hard time finding a mint copy of the smaller edition for under $200. That may be different now, but I ain't even looking because I put the deal here and will stand by it if anyone wants to swap. I'll give you first shot, Ron since you asked first, but if the no slipcase sours it for you then Splync can have the option. I do need a very fine copy of the smaller edition in exchange, no flaws. Let me know.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    If anyone is interested- I have an original large-size HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (unsigned) that I'm looking trade- straight- for a small size of same.
    I'm willing to do that trade as well, in case Ron backs out. It's a strangely lopsided trade, so I am also curious.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    If anyone is interested- I have an original large-size HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (unsigned) that I'm looking trade- straight- for a small size of same.
    Ron, does it have its slipcase, and is it and the book in Fine condition? I’d certainly be interested in trading with you — but I'm curious, why are you looking at making a lopsided trade like that? Are you just trying to match the two smaller-sized editions, once the smaller of WHALITC is released?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X