X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Chiming in on the Koontz comments: I had the same reaction as Martin and Ron, though I think that I started reading him in the 90s, but mostly his older stuff. Like most, I loved Watchers to death and have a few pleasant memories of his other books, but, at least when I drifted away, I noticed a underlying template to his books, hitting some of the some tropes over and over again, that just kinda turned me off. I still have a couple of his books in the TBR that stood out to me--used paperbacks of Odd Thomas, What the Night Knows, and The Funhouse, along with SST's edition of Devoted--but they always slide back down the pile.
    There was a definitive overuse of particular tropes and cookie-cutter character types (and brilliant dogs), and what seemed like a general dumbing-down of the quality of prose, whether intentional to expand his mass-market reach or incidental I have no idea. Looking at the Wikipedia bibliography, I remember enjoying just about everything up to MIDNIGHT in '89, but a succession of disappointing novels like THE BAD PLACE, COLD FIRE, HIDEAWAY, and DRAGON TEARS pushed me away in the early '90s. I did enjoy 1995's STRANGE HIGHWAYS (collection) and INTENSITY, but other attempts like the first ODD THOMAS and a couple others just confirmed that he was no longer for me. It wasn't with pleasure that I realized that, because I *really* enjoyed his stuff from NIGHT CHILLS in '76 to LIGHTNING in '88...that was one helluva decade of fantastic fiction.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Chiming in on the Koontz comments: I had the same reaction as Martin and Ron, though I think that I started reading him in the 90s, but mostly his older stuff. Like most, I loved Watchers to death and have a few pleasant memories of his other books, but, at least when I drifted away, I noticed a underlying template to his books, hitting some of the some tropes over and over again, that just kinda turned me off. I still have a couple of his books in the TBR that stood out to me--used paperbacks of Odd Thomas, What the Night Knows, and The Funhouse, along with SST's edition of Devoted--but they always slide back down the pile.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Same experience with me. Loved his early work in the late '70s and '80s, but his work in the '90s quickly and progressively pushed me away. Of all his recent work, this particular one caught my eye the most when it came out in the trade edition...not enough for me to actually buy the thing and see if that ember of interest was justified, but <shrug>. I have been giving this Lividian edition some thought because of that interest, but then I think if I don't have enough honest interest to buy the $25 trade, do I have enough for the deluxe edition costing six (or ?) times more. But we'll see...this might make, for me, a good secondary-market buy, if by chance the price is friendlier at that point (which probably isn't likely, but....).
    That is interesting that you say his writing in the 90s pushed you away. I literally have no memory of why I drifted away from his writing, but my timeline matches yours. I may have to review his bibliography to see if it helps me to realize that maybe some of his works turned me off. As I receive all Lividian titles as part of my Patreon subscription there was no buying decision for me to make, but I was pleased with the announcement.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

In my teens and twenties Koontz was one of my go to author. Drifted away from his stories long ago and have occasionally thought of going back. This will be a good re-introduction to his work. Looking forward to it!
    Same experience with me. Loved his early work in the late '70s and '80s, but his work in the '90s quickly and progressively pushed me away. Of all his recent work, this particular one caught my eye the most when it came out in the trade edition...not enough for me to actually buy the thing and see if that ember of interest was justified, but <shrug>. I have been giving this Lividian edition some thought because of that interest, but then I think if I don't have enough honest interest to buy the $25 trade, do I have enough for the deluxe edition costing six (or ?) times more. But we'll see...this might make, for me, a good secondary-market buy, if by chance the price is friendlier at that point (which probably isn't likely, but....).

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Any love for the next book? Sounds like a fun read.

https://lividian.com/just-announced-...trnlCAmiLHaPxY
    In my teens and twenties Koontz was one of my go to author. Drifted away from his stories long ago and have occasionally thought of going back. This will be a good re-introduction to his work. Looking forward to it!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Any love for the next book? Sounds like a fun read.

https://lividian.com/just-announced-...trnlCAmiLHaPxY

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Great interview! I'm interested to see which Dean Koontz book is coming. I know Charnel House is doing The Bad Weather Friend, so it's probably not that one
    Ditto! Great interview. Am hoping it will be one of Koontz' early books. So many I would love to have as a limited edition.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    My long interview over at Collectible Book Vault, discussing the origins of Lividian Publications in more depth than I ever have before, has gone live:
    https://www.collectiblebookvault.com...e-press-vol-14
    Great interview! I'm interested to see which Dean Koontz book is coming. I know Charnel House is doing The Bad Weather Friend, so it's probably not that one

Leave a comment:

• Brian James Freeman
    replied
    My long interview over at Collectible Book Vault, discussing the origins of Lividian Publications in more depth than I ever have before, has gone live:
    https://www.collectiblebookvault.com...e-press-vol-14

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Can you please shoot an email my way, so I don't forget to look into this when I get home? [email protected] -- thank you!
    email sent,

Thank You!

Leave a comment:

• Brian James Freeman
    replied
    I have emails from your Patreon but have not received a Lividian email since 10/20 when my last package arrived. Did not go to junk either.
    Can you please shoot an email my way, so I don't forget to look into this when I get home? [email protected] -- thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Weird. Still no sign of the email?
    I have emails from your Patreon but have not received a Lividian email since 10/20 when my last package arrived. Did not go to junk either.

Leave a comment:

• Brian James Freeman
    replied
    I did not receive an email from Lividian so I can't be sure. I do know what the limited shipping soon is though, I have the ARC and it is a beauty!
    Weird. Still no sign of the email?

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Guesses on the email hint(s)? I have not a clue.
    I did not receive an email from Lividian so I can't be sure. I do know what the limited shipping soon is though, I have the ARC and it is a beauty!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X